Suggestions for an Applicant for Spring/Fall 2012 in Foreign Service

Antares

Hey,

I'm new to the gradcafe.com forum and have heard great things from friends about the information and support here. I am currently a Peace Corps Volunteer serving in Central America. I will be completing my two year service in June 2011. I am interested in a career with the Foreign Service as either a Public Diplomacy Officer or as a Consular. The programs that I am currently interested in and have been researching include University of Denver International and Intercultural Communication (School of Communications) , Washington Evans, USC SPPD and Cornell (City and Regional Planning) - any other suggestions of schools that might fit my interests or any tips for an applicant one year out?

Personal Info:

- Small private liberal arts school

- B.A Tourism and Resort Management (GPA 3.2, Major GPA 3.6)

- WE 5 years:

1 year as Guest Service Manager at 4 Star hotel

2 years teaching experience

2 years Peace Corps - Community Development

-GRE - have not taken yet

- Fluent in Spanish

Any and all information is greatly appreciated!

The best advice will not come from this board, it will come from the Yahoo FSWE and FSOA groups. Obviously, start by going right to the horse's mouth at careers.state.gov. That should indicate to you that the QEP process (where most FSO candidates get weeded out) is not greatly swayed by a master's degree, nor the institution where you get it. The UD program seems directly relevant to the PD career track, so maybe that makes sense. But you should take the written test anyways....like sign up now. You can and should have multiple candidacies in the FSO process if that is really what you want to do. There are other ways to get into the Foreign Service directly, or indirectly via the Civil Service Mustang Program (and CS programs). Combined, these include the Pickering Fellowship, Rangel Fellowship, Presidential Management Fellowship, Student Career Experience Program, Federal Career Internship Program. You can read a lot about the last three here: http://www.makingthedifference.org/federalinternships/employmentprograms.shtml. In case you were wondering, I've done my homework and I'm working very hard to get into the Foreign Service and serve my country the best way I think I am able! If you have other questions, send me a PM.

Hey,

I'm new to the gradcafe.com forum and have heard great things from friends about the information and support here. I am currently a Peace Corps Volunteer serving in Central America. I will be completing my two year service in June 2011. I am interested in a career with the Foreign Service as either a Public Diplomacy Officer or as a Consular. The programs that I am currently interested in and have been researching include University of Denver International and Intercultural Communication (School of Communications) , Washington Evans, USC SPPD and Cornell (City and Regional Planning) - any other suggestions of schools that might fit my interests or any tips for an applicant one year out?

Personal Info:

- Small private liberal arts school

- B.A Tourism and Resort Management (GPA 3.2, Major GPA 3.6)

- WE 5 years:

1 year as Guest Service Manager at 4 Star hotel

2 years teaching experience

2 years Peace Corps - Community Development

-GRE - have not taken yet

- Fluent in Spanish

Any and all information is greatly appreciated!