GRE special accommodations

amy2000

Hi,

I need to do the GRE in order to apply to PhD programs. I have ADD and I want to get the proper accommodations (extra time and brakes).

If I get these accommodations, are the universities to which I send my grades informed of that? I'm afraid they might not want me because I have ADD

Thanks,

Amy.

I'm really not sure how this works but I can't imagine that grad schools can reject you solely or even partially because of your ADD. That would be unlawful discrimination. I'm sure that as long as you provide the appropriate information to ETS, they can grant you the necessary accommodations. You should inquire whether they apprise potential graduate programs. If they do, your programs will have to understand that the accommodations are legitimate. If you feel it's necessary, you might want to briefly explain it in your SOP, but do try to frame it as a strength somehow rather than call undue attention to it as a weakness. And hey, you never know, ETS might not even inform programs at all, in which case you'd be in the clear. I think I remember reading in high school about AP exam policies where "non-standard" exam administrations were noted on score reports, but I'm not sure how this works with the GRE. Look into it and post back to let us know what you find out. This could be helpful to other Grad Café folks in similar situations. Good luck to you!

If I get these accommodations, are the universities to which I send my grades informed of that?

nope, the ETS cannot/doesn't do that! even if they were (able) to do so, they would have to get your permission to disclose your health/medicinal condition. but no, they don't do that.

and regarding your ADD and grad schools. don't worry about it too much. go through the app process as how any other student would. your app should be reviewed (be it positively or negatively) solely based on your performance and skills, and not on your health condition.

nope, the ETS cannot/doesn't do that! even if they were (able) to do so, they would have to get your permission to disclose your health/medicinal condition. but no, they don't do that.

and regarding your ADD and grad schools. don't worry about it too much. go through the app process as how any other student would. your app should be reviewed (be it positively or negatively) solely based on your performance and skills, and not on your health condition.

ETS doesnt disclose your ADD in any way. you well be easy to document and get a decision back from ets