Who to pick?

will415

Hi,

I am planning to apply to graduate programs in mathematics soon and have 2/3 people identified to write LORs for me. One of the two will be a former professor and one will be a boss at a former research lab. From the remaining people I could approach I can either choose from current/former bosses at research labs (who I have strong relationships with) or former professors (who may not remember me as well). I've heard that professors make for the best LOR's but am wondering if I should go for the bosses in this case. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

LoR should come from someone who knows you personally and can vouch for your (strong) academic record and future enthusiasm in continuing graduate studies. if you think your second boss can do a better job at this than your teacher, then pick the boss. unlike most people think, 2 out of 3 (or even 3 out of 3) LoRs don't have to come from the professors at your institution. they just have to be someone who truly think that you will be a good candidate in graduate school.

when i did mine (am applying to PhD), 1 was from my MS advisor, and 2 were from famous PIs whom I had worked with in my internships (2 PIs at 2 different institutes).

LoR should come from someone who knows you personally and can vouch for your (strong) academic record and future enthusiasm in continuing graduate studies. if you think your second boss can do a better job at this than your teacher, then pick the boss. unlike most people think, 2 out of 3 (or even 3 out of 3) LoRs don't have to come from the professors at your institution. they just have to be someone who truly think that you will be a good candidate in graduate school.

when i did mine (am applying to PhD), 1 was from my MS advisor, and 2 were from famous PIs whom I had worked with in my internships (2 PIs at 2 different institutes).

Ok, thanks so much. Seems like solid advice.