HKS Mid-Career Applicants

Any HKS Mid-Career or other applicants out there? Friday is the application deadline, and I couldn't be more stressed and burned out with the process. It's funny how such a simple essay question about your future career goals could be so difficult to answer. I feel like I'm molding a sculpture that's never quite finished. Given that my GRE quant was a bit shy of expectations (verbal was fine), I'm feeling increased pressure to perfect the Personal Statement and other components of the application.

Anyhow, just blowing off steam as the deadline closes in. Best of luck to everyone...

Any HKS Mid-Career or other applicants out there? Friday is the application deadline, and I couldn't be more stressed and burned out with the process. It's funny how such a simple essay question about your future career goals could be so difficult to answer. I feel like I'm molding a sculpture that's never quite finished. Given that my GRE quant was a bit shy of expectations (verbal was fine), I'm feeling increased pressure to perfect the Personal Statement and other components of the application.

Anyhow, just blowing off steam as the deadline closes in. Best of luck to everyone...

You are not the only one in that situation. Do not worry too much. Everthing will be fine. Career goals essay also drives me crazy, but I'm almost done and will have it sent in a few hours...

Quick question for you or anyone else:

Two questions on my Harvard application didn't get checked by the application checker. Other questions I left empty got checked, but country of residence and what inspired me to apply to the Kennedy School of Government are both were blank on the app I submitted! I only know this because I see my "applicant's copy". I realize now I may have forgotten the "what inspired me" question, but I definitely filled in my country of residence....

Anyone have a similar situation? Or any comments? Will this totally wipe me out of consideration? I guess they weren't "required" questions....otherwise the application inspector would have picked them up?

I would call the HKS Admissions office first thing tomorrow and ask them about this. I noticed that the Inspector would have allowed me to submit my application without attaching transcripts or specifying information in certain fields. However, I filled everything out (I think) and got it in on time. The thing that brought it down to the wire for me was the "substantial contribution" essay, but that's only because I spent so much time on the personal statement -- the "what inspired you/career goals" question. I do wish I'd spent a bit more time on the other essay, but I think it was good enough and accomplished what was needed.

Frankly, I think you're going to need to submit an essay for this section; it's the personal statement, which is one of the most (if not THE most) important parts of the application. I was not under the impression that any of the essays were optional with the exception of Essay #2, where it clearly stated so at the top. Besides, even if it was, you should want to present the ad com with as much relevant information about your background and writing samples as possible. Take full advantage of the opportunities to demonstrate your background/abilities.

So, call them and see whether they'll allow you to submit a late personal statement. Hopefully they'll still allow you to do so.

Hey guys. I managed to submit my application as well - it was really hellish! I am a bit worried about my verbal GRE score but I got a decent quant score. I just hope I did enough! I wonder how many people applied this year and what the admittance rate was last year - anyone know?

Good luck to everyone, I hope we all get in :) Seems like none of us had it easy with our personal statements!

ps -Anyone else international? I am applying from London.

Not sure how many applied last year, but my understanding is that they generally tend to admit around 200 folks to this program, give or take. So, it's a decent sized program compared to other executive level policy programs around the country. However, I think they get a large number of international students (the Mason fellows), just not sure what percentage (I want to say close to 50%, but can't substantiate that number). I'm also not sure about the percentage of admitted applicants, but I think it's slightly higher than that of the MPP program.

Anyhow, for those of you who applied, I'd be curious to know a little about your background and "stats", if you don't mind sharing. As I said before, I think a big weakness is my quant score (680), which won't help me -- just hope it doesn't hurt too much. Verbal was around 90th percentile though. I also found a non-substantive typo in an essay (not the personal statement) after sending it, which ticks me off. I'm hoping that my 12 years of relevant and high level experience in energy policy, coupled with the personal statement and CV, can offset the weak points. I won't be surprised either way.

I got around the 680 mark for the GRE. My friend who graduated from the program last year said that many people get into the program with lower scores than that (some get in with really bad scores) and there are obviously those who get higher scores. Those who get low scores have to compensate with the depth of their experience and their essays.

I have 8 years of relevant experience- 7 years working for a large global consulting firm serving federal government clients in the UK and USA. Over the last year I have been operating as an independent consultant working with public clients & charity CEOs. I am currently undertaking an international development assignment to get closer to my career aspirations.

I have no idea about my changes - I also wouldn't be surprised either way. I REALLY want to get in though so fingers crossed!