Funding for those unfortunates w/out US passport....

redwine

I have a funding question re grants internationals can apply for - this should maybe go in the international grads section, but I thought it should go here as often US students know about funding opportunities internationals can apply for and those they can't (this is my experience talking to other grads anyway...)

So, considering many common grants are closed to internationals (I'm thinking especially of language study grants like FLAS, IREX and the DAAD grants for German) does anyone know of any major grants or scholarships actually open to those of us coming from a long way away? I'm particularly interested in language grants as I know I'll be wanting to head to Europe in the summer after my first year to at least learn German intensively (I need it to fulfill my language requirements, despite also having near fluent French and Russian!) But anything else people know about that internationals qualify for would be great, even if anyone knows of grants specifically for those who will need to relocate for PhD study (I have a feeling they are few and far between)...thanks!