History or English?

Grizbert

Hello, all!

This is my first post. Thanks in advance for your patience.

I have an MA in English/Art History, concentrating on modernism, from a highly respected British university. The program was administered from within the English department, but I wrote my thesis (or "dissertation" as they call it - ~20,000 words) on art history. This was a few years ago. Since then, I have been working in academia in a staff role back here in the US at an R1 public university, and I have finally decided the time is right for me to apply to PhD programs (my personal situation prevented this until recently). I have wanted to be an academic since I was in high school and realized I genuinely loved writing research papers. I already have some student debt from my BA and MA, so will only consider doctoral studies if I can get a coveted, fully funded spot in a good program. I plan to apply for fall 2012 admission, so I have about a year to prepare.

Although my MA is in modernism, the vast majority of my undergraduate work was in 19th century British lit, and I have a 3.95 GPA in my major, overall 3.2, and a minor in history, with most of my coursework in early modern and medieval Britain. One of the reasons I left academia after my terminal MA was that I was not "on fire" for modernism - at all. I would now like to concentrate on medieval-to-early-modern British history, and I already have several subfields in mind. I have a reading knowledge of Italian, and high school French (which I obviously plan to brush up on and improve). In my current position, I am eligible to take one free course per semester, so I plan to take advantage of that, too, although any courses have to fit in around my work schedule and be approved by my supervisor (thus, no 8:00am or 4:00pm classes). I am studying Latin on my own (Wheelock's), having never taken it in school. During my junior year, I considered switching my undergraduate concentration from 19th century to medieval, but I realized I would have to take four straight semesters of Latin late in my degree, which also conflicted with my work schedule, so I chose not to do so.

Basically, my question is this: I know I am more interested in going the History route, but have both a BA and an MA in English. Is it too late for me to make myself a strong candidate for a medieval history doctoral program? Would I be better served sticking with English and aiming for interdiscplinary work involving my historical interests? I am also interested in the number of funded spots vs. applicants for medieval/early modern English vs. History. I know the current job market is beyond dismal for both, but I would be satisfied teaching at the community college level, so long as I do not have to incur any further debt to fund my studies. Does anyone have any input on which is the "better" bet? I would really prefer to work within a History department, but if the funding and employment prospects would be significantly better for English, I would perhaps stay within that subject, especially since most of my previous work was done there.

Thanks!

Have you thought of doing a Ph.D. in medieval history in the UK?

If you manage to get full funding, getting a doctorate is much faster here and *arguably* it would be easier to switch the subjects. No?

Have you thought of doing a Ph.D. in medieval history in the UK?

If you manage to get full funding, getting a doctorate is much faster here and *arguably* it would be easier to switch the subjects. No?

I would absolutely love to do that, but I have heard it's nearly impossible for Americans to get funding. Is this not the case?

(I am actually most interested in medieval York and Norwich, particularly women and their work, Jews and crytpo-Jews, and medieval/early modern marriage and its alternatives.)

Funding is a big issue here, true. Not only for international applicants but also for the UK and EU students.

Yet there is not much but there is some!

Try look up the faculty interests in Oxford, Cambridge, St Andrews and wherever else they are big on medieval stuff. If you find someone who is a perfect fit for your work and he/she gets interested in you, getting funding will become much easier. Departments in big universities sometimes do produce funding packages out of the blue when their website says 'nada'. OK. This is a controversial point. :D

Funding is a big issue here, true. Not only for international applicants but also for the UK and EU students.

Yet there is not much but there is some!

Try look up the faculty interests in Oxford, Cambridge, St Andrews and wherever else they are big on medieval stuff. If you find someone who is a perfect fit for your work and he/she gets interested in you, getting funding will become much easier. Departments in big universities sometimes do produce funding packages out of the blue when their website says 'nada'. OK. This is a controversial point. :D

Well, I will certainly consider that, Bukharan. The main reason I have delayed attempting an academic career was a series of setbacks resulting from a particularly nasty break-up that resulted in my relocation to America after four years in the UK (first as a student, then in private sector employment). Had it been entirely up to me, I would've stayed in the UK; I much prefer it to the US, in virtually all respects. Thanks! :)

Edited by Grizbert

I would absolutely love to do that, but I have heard it's nearly impossible for Americans to get funding. Is this not the case?

(I am actually most interested in medieval York and Norwich, particularly women and their work, Jews and crytpo-Jews, and medieval/early modern marriage and its alternatives.)

I'm an American medievalist at York right now and I'm in the same boat as you are. I would love to stay here for my PhD, but I have no money and neither do the schools here. I am applying mostly in the US for my PhD. However, I know there is some money and a reasonable amount of teaching opportunities here at York, at least for the second and third years of your degree. Nothing is guaranteed, but it is reasonably common for students to teach. I can't say enough good things about doing anything medieval at The University of York, and the Centre for Medieval Studies here is very good at taking advantage of its surroundings.

I'm an American medievalist at York right now and I'm in the same boat as you are. I would love to stay here for my PhD, but I have no money and neither do the schools here. I am applying mostly in the US for my PhD. However, I know there is some money and a reasonable amount of teaching opportunities here at York, at least for the second and third years of your degree. Nothing is guaranteed, but it is reasonably common for students to teach. I can't say enough good things about doing anything medieval at The University of York, and the Centre for Medieval Studies here is very good at taking advantage of its surroundings.

Thanks! I am actually very familiar with York, having done my MA there! :D

Too bad I picked the wrong subject!