Harvard Kennedy School Mid-Career MPA

JackSV

Does anyone have any idea how important your GRE scores are for the HKS Mid-Career MPA program? My scores (v. 580 q. 680 w. 5.0) are okay but not for Harvard. I had a 660 GMAT score but it wasn't accepted since it was 18 years ago. I have 20 years of work experience, great references and a compelling - I hope - essays. I have an MBA from a top 20 program, but graduated in the middle of the class. Am I dreaming?

Also, does anyone know of other quality mid-career programs?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

I've actually been wondering the same thing. I'm really wishing I'd taken the GRE earlier than last month, as I ended up with a 680q/620v. Really think I could get it up to 720 with another shot at the exam.

Anyhow, I think the general rule of thumb is that the more experience you have (presuming its high caliber, relevant experience), the less your test scores matter. Now, it isn't clear to me what the average scores are for the midcareer folks generally, but the admissions committee will look at the complete package. Thus, solid experience, a successful career, great recommendations, and a well written personal statement/essays can offset otherwise average or below average scores.

As for other midcareer programs, I would look into executive MPA programs around the country -- NYU, Princeton, and USC come to mind as options.