GRE Math Score

SarahSocPsy

Hello,

I'm applying to social psych phd programs right now, and I'm wondering if a 680 quantitative score will hurt my chances of admissions into top programs. I know it's below the average for a lot of the programs I am applying to. I got a 650 on verbal and a 5 on AW (6 first time I took it), which seems to be okay. However, both times I took the test I got a 680 on the quant section because I got nervous and couldn't solve the questions quick enough and ended up guessing on too many. I took precalculus, finite mathematics, and trigonometry in college as well as three statistics courses, and I earned A's in all of them. The statistics courses were all about the same level, but because I have three majors I had to take one in each college and I couldn't petition out. I would hope a 4.0 in 20 credits of math related classes would count for something. I have a cumulative 3.89 GPA (3.97 psych GPA) with a rather rigorous course schedule, considering all my majors.

Do you think the math score will hurt my chances, or am I just stressing unnecessarily?

Do you think the math score will hurt my chances, or am I just stressing unnecessarily?

You're stressing:)

Are you worried your Q is below 700? I can't imagine it'd be below the cutoff at any school, and a combined score of 1300+ is still a very good score. Especially since you have good grades, I think you're fine. And yeah, it's be nice if the GRE actually tested any sort of math that we need in grad school, but what would we have to worry about then? ;)

I'm in the same boat. From what i've been able to gather, the GRE is generally used as a screening tool, and any applicant over 1200 will guarantee at least a brief-but-full review.

I think you're stressing a bit much. A 1300+ GRE will make you competitive at most schools, but to be honest, that score might not make you competitive enough at a top 10 school. I had a 1370 going into the application process and didn't hear a word from Yale, Illinois or UCLA. However, I received a lot of interest from the "lower-ranked" schools. Keep in mind that the GRE is important but a PhD program is more about the match between you and your mentor. Once you get in to grad school, the GRE is meaningless and won't affect where you get a job. If you publish out of your behind, you will get a great job