UW HCDE vs. Umich MSI-HCI

Matrix1024

HCDE vs. Umich MSI-HCI  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which one is better

• UW HCDE
    • Umich MSI-HCI
    • Just wanna result

Hey everyone! I recently graduated with a B.S. in Interaction Design from ArtCenter College of Design, and I'm looking into pursuing a master's degree in HCI. I am considering two programs: University of Washington's (UW) Human-Centered Design & Engineering (HCDE) program and the University of Michigan's (Umich) Master of Science in Information (MSI) with a specialization in Human-Computer Interaction (HCI). As an international student, I'll need visa sponsorship to stay and work in North America.

I'm particularly interested in focusing on UX research and possibly getting a glimpse into HCI thesis research during my studies. I'm a bit concerned about the potential overlap between the classes I've already taken in my undergrad and what I'll be learning in these graduate programs. Additionally, I don't want to give up the possibility of landing a great job at a large tech company after graduation.

I would love to hear your thoughts and experiences with these two programs. Which one would you recommend for someone looking to delve deeper into UX research, HCI thesis work, and secure a job with visa sponsorship at a big tech firm? How do they compare in terms of coursework, research opportunities, networking, job prospects, and overall experience? Any insights would be greatly appreciated!