final list help/ sharing/ program feedback for multi disciplinary MFA

L333makes

Hi,

I'm in the process of final-finalizing my list for MFA Studio art applications. I'm a printmaker/ mixed media/ sculpture person, looking for a small, multi-disciplinary program that gives teaching experience, funding and has a strong critical theory component. As an added filter, I'm looking for programs that allow MFA students to take academic classes, and that offer German studies (I'm German and my work deals largely with my heritage and German history). I'm going for a total of 8 schools. Right now, these programs are 'for sures:'

Cornell

Carnegie Mellon

VCU

SUNY Purchase

UPenn

CUNY Brooklyn College

These are maybes:

SUNY Stony Brook

Rutgers

UDelaware

CUNY Queens College

CUNY City College

Any feedback on any of those, particularly the 'maybes'? Also, would love to see other's lists.

Thanks in advance!

Lisa

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm in the process of final-finalizing my list for MFA Studio art applications. I'm a printmaker/ mixed media/ sculpture person, looking for a small, multi-disciplinary program that gives teaching experience, funding and has a strong critical theory component. As an added filter, I'm looking for programs that allow MFA students to take academic classes, and that offer German studies (I'm German and my work deals largely with my heritage and German history). I'm going for a total of 8 schools. Right now, these programs are 'for sures:'

Cornell

Carnegie Mellon

VCU

SUNY Purchase

UPenn

CUNY Brooklyn College

These are maybes:

SUNY Stony Brook

Rutgers

UDelaware

CUNY Queens College

CUNY City College

Any feedback on any of those, particularly the 'maybes'? Also, would love to see other's lists.

Thanks in advance!

Lisa

I'd check out Stanford, USC, MIT and CalArts.

Stanford and USC are both strongly interdisciplinary and offer great funding, and I know that for USC at least you get access to the wider academic university.

CalArts has a great resource in their Aesthetics and Politics program.

I'm at MIT right now (shameless self-promotion) and we can take any class, any department, at both MIT and Harvard. In fact we're *required* to take classes in the following departments:

Comparative Media Studies

Science, Technology and Society

History, Theory and Criticism of Art and Architecture

In addition, the director of the program, Ute Meta Bauer, is german and has an office and curatorial practice based in Berlin, and one of our second-year grads is doing his thesis on his Polish/Jewish ancestry. Might be a good match for you.