question about writing sample

jasmineve

I only wrote long papers and did research on American Art in my past years, and now I want to specialize in ancient art for my PhD work. Does sending an American art paper to the committee work or I have to send a paper which talks about ancient art? Many thanks!

What have your professors said? I would think that it is not preferable but ont he other hand you certainly want to submit a strong writing example. I have a similar but not as stark situation. My thesis was on the history of a collection which is not what I am interested in on the PhD level. The former grad director at Yale suggested that I write something new closer to my interests. But, unfortunately I wasn't able to get that done. So, I'm doing an excerpt from my thesis. But, in my SOP my explain how my thesis does relate to my interests. I hope that will work. My bigger concern is what part of the thesis to excerpt and how readable it is to pick up in the middle of a long thesis.

I only wrote long papers and did research on American Art in my past years, and now I want to specialize in ancient art for my PhD work. Does sending an American art paper to the committee work or I have to send a paper which talks about ancient art? Many thanks!

While a paper on ancient art would probably be ideal, your other paper would probably be fine as long as you address the issue (the paper itself and/or your switch in research interests) in your SOP.

A bigger problem might be that it doesn't sound like you have much experience with ancient art. Do you have at least a start on the required languages, and some acquaintance with the field? If not better to get these things before applying.