Crappy job = ample time to work on applications

milou

I'm a new member here, but I've been lurking around for a few months now, so I figured I'd come out of my hole and say hello. smile.gif Curious to know if anyone else has a boring and energy-consuming job that has contributed to making the grad school application process a bit more painful? I'm currently in a crappy job to pay the rent while living in an expensive city, which I sort of expected to have as a recent graduate/humanities major in the worst recession since the Depression. One positive side to the job has been that, since nobody seems to even notice I am there most of the time, I have been able to get a decent amount of work done on my SOP. I started a couple of months ago, and have basically completed the final draft, which was almost entirely composed between taking phone calls and smiling awkwardly at people when they come through the door (the only things I am paid to do as far as I can tell).

How's everyone else balancing work/applications? (Assuming this thread doesn't already exist.)

Yep, I'm also in the crappy job club! I was kinda hoping that after I got my master's I would never have to be a waitress again, but lo and behold here I am! I found it quite tough since I often work until 3am, so getting up and studying for the GREs/writing SOPs the next day isn't the easiest thing! However, I need money. At least it's only until next fall.....hopefully!!!

I'm working a full time job, but I actually like it and it keeps me really busy. This means I have to do all of my application work after/before work and on the weekends. It's taken a lot of time management planning, but it looks like the last applications will be submitted today, and I haven't even lost a step at work.

I'm at a full time job. Like the previous poster, I've not missed a step at work. I think in a weird way, when you have less time, you just get more productive!

Thankfully my job also allows me to be anywhere so a lot of time I'm in my PJs answering e-mails and working on those flashcards!

Taking my GRE on 29 Dec.

:)

Anyone here applying for a Masters in Communication/Media? Also, my UG and jobs don't necessarily tie in to my interests at grad school - anyone in the same 'predicament'?

Surprisingly, my job *is* somewhat related to my field of interest (similar languages/skills requirements), so I sort of tried to play that up in the application. But the job isn't super prestigious, so I had to beef it up a bit and stress the relevant parts in my SOP. :) If your job/UG isn't related at all, maybe the best thing to do would be to treat your grad school interests separately in your statement (in other words, explain first how you developed this new academic direction), and then talk about how your UG major and professional experience contribute to making you a more unique and well-rounded candidate, say that you would contribute diversity to their program in this way, etc. That's probably what I'd do.

I've been a barman by night for a good few months whilst 'working' on applications. Although I have much of the day free the mixture of the job's hours and its soul-destroying nature have left me with loads to do before the deadlines tomorrow. I doubt I'll get on any of the PhD programmes I've applied for in the US but I'm reasonably confident of getting into one of my top choices here in England to do an MA before having another crack at US schools with an Oxford (fingers crossed) MA under my belt. I just need to get the hell out of my crappy small home town and my crappy job asap as the boredom and gloom here's actually sapped my motivation. Pressure and business undoubtedly makes it easier for me to work

I've been a barman by night for a good few months whilst 'working' on applications. Although I have much of the day free the mixture of the job's hours and its soul-destroying nature have left me with loads to do before the deadlines tomorrow. I doubt I'll get on any of the PhD programmes I've applied for in the US but I'm reasonably confident of getting into one of my top choices here in England to do an MA before having another crack at US schools with an Oxford (fingers crossed) MA under my belt. I just need to get the hell out of my crappy small home town and my crappy job asap as the boredom and gloom here's actually sapped my motivation. Pressure and business undoubtedly makes it easier for me to work

I'm with you on the soul-destroying bit. It's easy to become inert and unmotivated if the only place you're expected to be every day is a place/job you don't particularly care about, yet one that leaves you with no energy to work on other things when you get home. At least bar-tending's good for $$$. :)

I'm with you on the soul-destroying bit. It's easy to become inert and unmotivated if the only place you're expected to be every day is a place/job you don't particularly care about, yet one that leaves you with no energy to work on other things when you get home. At least bar-tending's good for $$. :)

Sadly, this is England, where bar staff get minimum wage and don't get tipped :(