Blown Deadline

GopherGrad

In an attempt to spread the cost of application fees, I decided to prep some applications to completion, then wait for payday to click submit.

I had some technical difficulties on Friday and blew an application deadline. Oops. Emailed the school's admissions department a couple hours after the deadline.

Anyone else have experience with this?

I personally haven't experienced that (knock on wood) but I feel for you. I nearly missed two deadlines and the stress was insane.

I bet they let you submit late. They want the best candidates. It's probably not a good mark on your app but it would seem shortsighted to allow technical problems to prevent an otherwise qualified candidate from applying.

That's just my opinion, it's not grounded in anything but my own wishful thinking.

Good luck.

In an attempt to spread the cost of application fees, I decided to prep some applications to completion, then wait for payday to click submit.

I had some technical difficulties on Friday and blew an application deadline. Oops. Emailed the school's admissions department a couple hours after the deadline.

Anyone else have experience with this?

I didn't realize that one of the schools required paper letters of recommendation rather than electronically-submitted ones until three days before the deadline. As all of you know by now, getting faculty members to do something in three weeks is heroic enough, let alone three days. I quickly emailed the graduate secretary there and asked her to alert the committee of my mistake, to send apologies for being so stupid, and to promise that the letters would be there quickly. Two weeks later, the letters got there.

I was accepted to and currently attend that school. While they probably wish they hadn't been so lenient based on my lack of political science skillzzz, it remains that these departments are made up of human beings that realize that you're a human being. What's more, these human beings won't be meeting to discuss the packets for a while anyway. Breathe easy, friend.

Edited by coachrjc

Thanks for the story. It is comforting to hear that perspective. I still haven't heard back from my frantic early morning email.

Also, I have one recommender who has yet to submit for any schools. I've sent "reminders" but it might be closing in on time to get on the horn and figure this out.

Edited by GopherGrad