Grad School Letters vs Law School Letters

abraxas

I'm currently in the midst of applying to MA programs next year in international relations, but I'm also seriously considering doing a dual MA/JD. I'm taking the LSAT in February and will apply to a handful of schools that accept the Feb LSAT without a problem, but if that doesn't work out I'll probably jut apply for the Fall 2012 cycle, since most of the joint JD programs I've looked at allow you to start the dual degree after one year in the MA.

Anyway, my question is, how different are letters for grad school and law school? I assume they both emphasize my academic ability, work ethic, dedication, etc. I already have my letters on file with my school's letter of rec service and I'd rather not have my letter writers write another one from scratch. Of course, since I can't actually see what they wrote I have no idea if they need to be changed. Can I use the same letters or should I ask for different ones?

I'm currently in the midst of applying to MA programs next year in international relations, but I'm also seriously considering doing a dual MA/JD. I'm taking the LSAT in February and will apply to a handful of schools that accept the Feb LSAT without a problem, but if that doesn't work out I'll probably jut apply for the Fall 2012 cycle, since most of the joint JD programs I've looked at allow you to start the dual degree after one year in the MA.

Anyway, my question is, how different are letters for grad school and law school? I assume they both emphasize my academic ability, work ethic, dedication, etc. I already have my letters on file with my school's letter of rec service and I'd rather not have my letter writers write another one from scratch. Of course, since I can't actually see what they wrote I have no idea if they need to be changed. Can I use the same letters or should I ask for different ones?

Particularly for dual degree applicants, there's no need to submit a second letter. Even if you were not a dual degree applicant, the letter may only hurt you at the furthest margins, and only to the extent it talks about longterm research interests if you are applying to schools that do not traditionally send graduates to academia. Truth be told, law school admissions is almost purely numbers. Being distinctive or interesting is helpful; fit is irrelevant. In other words, it's a very different process, but those differences don't translate into a need for very unique letters.

JudPolitics nailed it. Since you're doing grad school --> law school, the letters are fine. If you were doing the reverse, that probably wouldn't hold true. Law schools just want to see if you can get two profs to say you're a good person and student. Grad schools want a bit more out of their letters.

Edited by Viking