This is absolute torment!

Leavinmyheartinsf

I'm going to say that I've done my masters at a school ranked around #100. I just got accepted to a school in the top 10 in my field, and there's a world of difference in two ways: 1 - The big school has more money and resources for students to do *research* (which, ultimately, is going to get you a job). You'll probably be more productive at a top university. 2 - The faculty may be nicer at the lower ranked school, but I also wonder if they're only that way when recruiting. The question you need to ask is how the other grad students are. If they work well together, aren't stabbing each other in the back or ignoring each other, it's worth it to go. Most of your interaction will be with the other grad students, not with profs, and I seriously don't like that there is so little interaction in my current department.

So there's two things to consider that may not be accounted for in rankings or money. :wink:

Good luck!

I think I might be giving you guys a clue as to just how nuts i am. I should do just fine in academia. :D I just got back from visit that I knew i was going to hate, and I fell madly in love with that school. Now it is between there and the #5 school. I am tempted to send my reply now so that I may get some sleep between now and April 15th, but that would be too easy.

I understand this is a big decision, but I'd like to point out that no, it is not absolute torment. Try not knowing if you get to go to any program at all. I'm wait listed at three schools. My only hope is that someone declines and I get to go. In the mean time I wait... all the while wondering if I'll get to go- worrying about having enough notice so that I can sell my condo and my husband can find a new job in a new city.

Please, make some wait listed student's day and make a decision so that the school you decline can take some other eager person who would die to be in your position.

Ok, I admit a flair for the dramatic, but it is a tough decision none the less, as I am sure others in my position will agree. I have informed the schools that I know I will not be attending. Believe me, I would like to decide this very soon as the sleepless nights are getting to me.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use