UCLA/CS - 12k for 9 months. Is this all you can make?

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi guys,

Got a fellowship offer from the CS department at UCLA. The offer is 12k for 9 months for 2 years. This seems really small for LA, but it also seems like it's around what that pay TA/RA's in the department.

Can anyone tell me how people live in LA on such a small income? Are there other jobs you can do in the department to make extra cash, like TA? They did also offer me a guaranteed spot in student housing, but the rent is $950 a month for an efficiency. That doesn't leave a lot for gas or food.

Thanks in advance!

i lived in LA on less than that for years. the key is finding a place to live in mar vista, palms, or venice. you can share an apartment for less than 600-700/mo.

I made $13k when I lived in LA. I lived in Koreatown (there's a nice side to it, I swear!) and paid $400 for my half of the rent. My friend had a studio upstairs where he paid $600 for his own place. Utilities were included (!). You can make it on that little money, but you've gotta be real frugal, or not mind living on some credit cards (I did a little of both).

I made $13k when I lived in LA. I lived in Koreatown (there's a nice side to it, I swear!) and paid $400 for my half of the rent. My friend had a studio upstairs where he paid $600 for his own place. Utilities were included (!). You can make it on that little money, but you've gotta be real frugal, or not mind living on some credit cards (I did a little of both).

where did you live in koreatown? i'll be looking there too.

I lived near Hobart and Western, which is a pretty good area (by Koreatown standards). If you look around Hobart Elementary School, you'll find some good buildings. It's a block by block, building by building judgement call, pretty much. We lived in a well maintained, pretty cute building (840 S. Hobart), and two doors down it was a crummy building. Three blocks over looked really run-down.

So take some time and check it out. That area is all: wealthier Korean families, 20's artsyish folks, and a few hispanic families.