Writing Sample Page-Limits

[i'm afraid this is another rather finicky question that should really be directed to the admissions committees in question, but that's partly what this forum is for, right?]

What are people's thoughts on this subject? In particular, I'm concerned about Yale's writing sample, which, unlike most, is only 10-15 pages. At the moment, I have just over 16 pages, and I'm inclined to think that will be okay. Also, it just occurred to me that they may not find out you're over the limit until they get to the end, whereas if you cut out important passages, they'll find out fairly early on that your argument has holes in it.

A related question has to do with excerpting longer papers. Some departments explicitly say it's okay to submit excerpts as writing samples, but others do not (Yale for instance, as far as I can tell); I don't know of any that say not to. Any thoughts?

[i'm afraid this is another rather finicky question that should really be directed to the admissions committees in question, but that's partly what this forum is for, right?]

What are people's thoughts on this subject? In particular, I'm concerned about Yale's writing sample, which, unlike most, is only 10-15 pages. At the moment, I have just over 16 pages, and I'm inclined to think that will be okay. Also, it just occurred to me that they may not find out you're over the limit until they get to the end, whereas if you cut out important passages, they'll find out fairly early on that your argument has holes in it.

A related question has to do with excerpting longer papers. Some departments explicitly say it's okay to submit excerpts as writing samples, but others do not (Yale for instance, as far as I can tell); I don't know of any that say not to. Any thoughts?

I think it's always a good idea to send something with a sense of wholeness and completion. In that sense, it should be fine to submit a full chapter or section of a thesis to those programs that welcome excerpts, but maybe not fine to submit, say, 15 pages of a 30 page paper. I think the committee (at least in English) will want to see a full argument with clear introduction, body, and conclusion because your ideas and how you develop them are as important as your style and ability to write well. And, no, I don't think Yale will mind if your paper has an extra page. But yes, if you have whittled down a longer paper to 16 pages, take a break and then read it again to make sure you haven't cut out anything important to your overall argument.

Thanks, I'm glad I read this, because I was planning on cutting out a section of my paper and giving a brief summary, in a footnote, of the bit of analysis I had left out. So I guess I'd better not do that.

Thanks, I'm glad I read this, because I was planning on cutting out a section of my paper and giving a brief summary, in a footnote, of the bit of analysis I had left out. So I guess I'd better not do that.

Well, remember I don't serve on an adcom! That's just my opinion, and how I would personally treat candidates, because I do think it's important to show the entire trajectory of an argument. You might want to wait for other people to weigh in here, or even ask one of your professor (like a recommender) just to have more than one perspective.