Not Putting Name on Personal Statement

Hi everyone,

I am freaking out, because I've submitted 4/5 applications thinking that I was not supposed to put my name on my SoP. I put it on my writing sample of course. I'm going to fix the problem for the fifth application. Three of the schools do not specify explicitly to do so, but one definitely did on the website, but not the actual application form.

Should I send them a fixed one by e-mail? Contact the department?

Also, do you think this is a major error?

Thanks!

They should be able to put together your SoP just fine especially if they didn't mention putting your name on it. Chances are the online application system will add your information to the pages at the top. If those application systems allow you to preview what you sent in, you can do that and see - in a few of my cases it automatically printed my name at the top. With the one that explicitly said to put your name at the top, they may not be able to change your application materials at this time, but you can always email or call the admissions people and ask. I'm thinking that you should be ok as the admissions people would likely be able to put your stuff together ok. I'm guessing they said to put your name just as a backup to make sure it doesn't get lost, but as I said, you can always contact them to find out.

I checked like you said, and they don't have my name on them per se, but they are labeled with page numbers for the most part. I doubt they will get lost having used the online system and all. I'm hesitant to call or email as to not draw extra attention to my mistake, especially because they specifically that they weren't accepting revised statements. The other schools didn't give explicit directions either way, so technically I didn't not follow direction so I hope that's alright. Those 3 schools I will call on Monday to be sure about. At least I have that 5th school to send a properly formatted statement to...

Does anyone have any other insight?

Does anyone have any other insight?

Relax! Like newms said above, they will be able to match the documents to your name. If you sent your documents via post, they will see your name on the envelope. If you used online application system, it's even easier. At the worst case scenario, suppose that your essays are lost/misplaced/whatever. But as the deadline approaches, the gradsecs will see that you application is missing your SoP. Then they will contact you saying you need to complete your application - this is their job - this is what the gradsecs do. I didn't put my name on any of my SoPs (all online applications), but my applications are complete now. So don't worry. You'll be fine.