Worth applying with mediocre GPA?

turambar

Hi,

I'm an international Asian student with a 1400 GRE (770Q; 630V). I'm doing my MA in Political Science from a well known MA program in the east coast, with my undergrad from a big Asian university. I'm wondering whether it's even worth applying with a mediocre grad GPA? I have a 3.22 grad GPA after one semester of grad school. I have a A- and two grades in the B category. I guess I screwed up the final term papers since my class performance was pretty good. The letters of recommendation would be solid (two of them from my current university professors who taught the courses), so would be the SOP.

I'm applying across the board to some Top 20 schools and schools outside Top 50 but mostly in the Top 40-50 range. I thought I'd have a better GPA but I'm feeling pretty down and disappointed right now. Guess my 'target' schools (think Wisconsin, UPenn etc.) are now totally out of the reach. What do you guys think? Do I stand a chance even at the marginal Top 50 ranked places?

Edited by turambar

Well, given the cost/benefit of applications (a couple months and a thousand bucks against the chance of admission) I'd say you may as well go for it.

I can see your worry about the grades. In general, the MA GPAs we see around here are really high. I would do everything possible to raise the GPA in the future. If you are really confident in your class performance, I would consider speaking to the each professor about your grade and see about raising it.

I would agree with the person above. Go for it. Until you take chances, you are not going to know. Perhaps you will get in, who knows! Maybe your GPA will be compensated by your GRE, research, SoP and LoRs. Adcomms in different universities are looking for different things. So while you might have decent chances at some institutions, you have have great chances at others.

Also, if you are really worried about your grades, contact few professors in places where you'd like to go and see if they are willing to take in students. If you have an approval/positive nod from a prof, you have even more chances of getting in.

Well, given the cost/benefit of applications (a couple months and a thousand bucks against the chance of admission) I'd say you may as well go for it.

I can see your worry about the grades. In general, the MA GPAs we see around here are really high. I would do everything possible to raise the GPA in the future. If you are really confident in your class performance, I would consider speaking to the each professor about your grade and see about raising it.

I would agree with the person above. Go for it. Until you take chances, you are not going to know. Perhaps you will get in, who knows! Maybe your GPA will be compensated by your GRE, research, SoP and LoRs. Adcomms in different universities are looking for different things. So while you might have decent chances at some institutions, you have have great chances at others.

Also, if you are really worried about your grades, contact few professors in places where you'd like to go and see if they are willing to take in students. If you have an approval/positive nod from a prof, you have even more chances of getting in.

Thanks all ! i'm going for it of course. Most PhD programs have a 3.5 - 3.6 average GPA i reckon for incoming students. Top ranked programs have higher averages. I guess what I'm really worried about is that some programs mention they don't look favorably on applications below a 3.4 GPA without mentioning whether it's undergrad or grad GPA.

Thanks all ! i'm going for it of course. Most PhD programs have a 3.5 - 3.6 average GPA i reckon for incoming students. Top ranked programs have higher averages. I guess what I'm really worried about is that some programs mention they don't look favorably on applications below a 3.4 GPA without mentioning whether it's undergrad or grad GPA.

The general expectation is that MA GPAs are even more inflated than undergrad GPAs. Thus, while an MA may supposedly be a higher level of education, there seems to be less leniency for lower grades.

A 3.4 undergrad GPA from UChicago will likely be viewed more favorably than a 3.6 from an MA at Georgetown.

That's my opinion. I'm an applicant, not a prof, so your mileage may vary.

Earlier poster was right: MA grades are REALLY inflated. A B- in an MA class is basically a failing grade. Trust me - I've given a few grades in that range in my time teaching, but only a few. I've never given a C range grade, even to students who should have failed.

I tend to agree with Tufnel, which sucks for people that attend schools that purposefully fight inflation.

Yale law school has, I think, done away with grades entirely, whereas my alma mater introduced a new policy that grades in any given class need to average out at 2.8.