Suggest universities: PhD Sociology

Ritu

I ll be applying for Fall 2011 term, given below is my profile , kindly evaluate my chance for PhD in sociology and suggest some universities where I can secure an admit

B.A. (Economics) ( Percentage : 73% , Gold Medalist, Gujarat University)

M.A (Economics) (Percentage : 70% , Pune University)

Research Fellow, IIM Ahmedabad - for 6 months (under Senior Professor)

Project Assistant,UNICEF (Agra, India Chapter) - Polio Eradication Project - duration : 1 year

GRE Score: 1000 (Verbal: 360 Quant: 640 )

TOEFL Score: 101

Publications: 1 Journal Publication

Letters of Recommendation: 1 strong recommendation from Senior Professor, IIMA

1 strong recommendation from my Project Head (UNICEF)

1 recommendation letter from Professor (Pune Univ)

Please suggest some universities where I can secure an admit (with my low GRE score).

Thanks

I ll be applying for Fall 2011 term, given below is my profile , kindly evaluate my chance for PhD in sociology and suggest some universities where I can secure an admit

B.A. (Economics) ( Percentage : 73% , Gold Medalist, Gujarat University)

M.A (Economics) (Percentage : 70% , Pune University)

Research Fellow, IIM Ahmedabad - for 6 months (under Senior Professor)

Project Assistant,UNICEF (Agra, India Chapter) - Polio Eradication Project - duration : 1 year

GRE Score: 1000 (Verbal: 360 Quant: 640 )

TOEFL Score: 101

Publications: 1 Journal Publication

Letters of Recommendation: 1 strong recommendation from Senior Professor, IIMA

1 strong recommendation from my Project Head (UNICEF)

1 recommendation letter from Professor (Pune Univ)

Please suggest some universities where I can secure an admit (with my low GRE score).

Thanks

It really depends on what you're interested in. Do you want to do Medical Sociology as your Unicef work seems to indicate? Or are you interested in Economic Sociology or studying Organization? For PhD programs, many deadlines for Fall 2011 have already passed, and most of the rest are coming up in the next month. As for low GRE scores, people have various takes on how important they are: I know Roll Right will argue that for qualitative departments they are relatively unimportant, I have a feeling that they are an important disqualifer, but can be compensated for (especially for foreign students ) to a degree with excellent writing samples and the like. If you have extensive experience with statistical analysis and have similar research interests to specific professors, there are probably places that will want you regardless of scores.

I am not sure about university selection, it ll be really helpful if anyone can suggest some good univs...

I think Jacib wanted you to elaborate on your interests. You're specifically interested in medical sociology? You might want to consult the US News and World Report Rankings. And you're an international student I think? Your GRE won't really play a role then. Aren't you required to take the TOEFL instead?

Us News and World Report Rankings for graduate sociology programs: (it doesn't rank by medical sociology though):

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-sociology-schools/rankings

You should apply next year. Deadlines for funding are coming up in January if they haven't already passed. Good luck.