Should I email the professor now or after Christmas

My very first online application is due in two weeks and one writer still hasn't uploaded hers. I asked the graduate office if I could submit my application before all the letters were uploaded and I was told that was fine, but should I send her a reminder email NOW or after Christmas on the following week? Something tells me that she won't respond (since she hasn't responded to my previous reminder email two weeks ago) if I email her now but then again I know that it's better if these are sent out earlier.

Oh, and one deadline got pushed back by a month and for this one (it's a paper application), I checked with the grad office and was told that her letter wasn't received either.

I hate how I'm dealing with this, even though I'm trying so hard to get all of my stuff in on time, including my GRE scores, which were sent out asap. The professor didn't hesitate and in a heartbeat agreed to write me a letter and told me that if there were any questions, she'd email me. So far, nothing yet. Usually i'd get a response within two days tops but I dont' know if it's just a busy schedule or what, but I haven't gotten any response from her

Edited by gradstudent84

Many universities are closed the week between Christmas and New Years. Now, correspondence may still occur and some faculty will still go in to the office, but it likely won't make a difference whether you ask now or later.

I emailed mine a week before Christmas.. due to a "panic attack" after duke told me that they did not receive his (paper) recommendation .. when he actually sent it already... I apologized in the email and he hasnt replied yet.. I think it's fine.. as long long as I dont "demand" him to reply the email during the holiday season.. but I wont make it a habit though,

just be calm.. adcomms will meet in mid jan anyway :)

I emailed mine a week before Christmas.. due to a "panic attack" after duke told me that they did not receive his (paper) recommendation .. when he actually sent it already... I apologized in the email and he hasnt replied yet.. I think it's fine.. as long long as I dont "demand" him to reply the email during the holiday season.. but I wont make it a habit though,

just be calm.. adcomms will meet in mid jan anyway :)

In the email I just gave her an update that a member of the adcomm committee (he is the department chair so I assumed he'd be on the committee...and a well known professor from what I later found out) wrote to me saying that the letter wasn't received, so naturally i sort of panicked and decided to send her the email. She didn't reply yet but i'm not surprised, given that it IS Christmas...I will see her once the new quarter starts in a few weeks so I can remind her then too, but I will try to remain calm...I've been reading a lot of horror stories about professors who never send things in on time and I'm praying my professor won't be one of them :(

If you have sent the email already, be aware that it's likely that many professors will not check their inbox until after the new year. By then, they will probably have several dozen emails that need their immediate attention and yours might get lost or disregarded. You may want to resend your email next Tuesday, to give everybody a chance to get back to their office and work through the initial load of emails.

If you have sent the email already, be aware that it's likely that many professors will not check their inbox until after the new year. By then, they will probably have several dozen emails that need their immediate attention and yours might get lost or disregarded. You may want to resend your email next Tuesday, to give everybody a chance to get back to their office and work through the initial load of emails.

I was thinking of that too. But should i email again or give her a phone call? I would think a phone call would be more effective? I'm glad I have a chance to see her before the deadlines...at the very worst situation, I may need to wait around and stop by her office

I was thinking of that too. But should i email again or give her a phone call? I would think a phone call would be more effective? I'm glad I have a chance to see her before the deadlines...at the very worst situation, I may need to wait around and stop by her office

Some profs almost never answer their email. Do you know this prof well enough to know if she is one of those people? I've always found that for those profs who ignore their email, the best solution is to come by their office and ask them whatever I need in person. That way they can't ignore me.. Otherwise, a phone call could be a good idea. Again, I would wait at least until Monday afternoon or Tuesday; that way you'll know that she has gotten through the most important business that has been unattended since before the holiday and your request will have a higher chance of being addressed. I'd only send an email if this prof is sure to answer it, or else you will have to give her the courtesy of waiting a few days before you bother her again. With the new year coming, that means that you may have to wait until the following week before you can contact her again and you'll be left not knowing where you stand until then.

Edited by fuzzylogician

Some profs almost never answer their email. Do you know this prof well enough to know if she is one of those people? I've always found that for those profs who ignore their email, the best solution is to come by their office and ask them whatever I need in person. That way they can't ignore me.. Otherwise, a phone call could be a good idea. Again, I would wait at least until Monday afternoon or Tuesday; that way you'll know that she has gotten through the most important business that has been unattended since before the holiday and your request will have a higher chance of being addressed. I'd only send an email if this prof is sure to answer it, or else you will have to give her the courtesy of waiting a few days before you bother her again. With the new year coming, that means that you may have to wait until the following week before you can contact her again and you'll be left not knowing where you stand until then.

The professor was VERY good about responding to emails ...she would even reply within the same day on the weekend..until late in the Fall quarter, I'm thinking she got super busy with work/teaching/whatever, because lately she hasn't been responsive. After I sent her the links to online apps, she didn't let me know she had received all of them; I had to stop by and check in with her, and she told me right away they were received.

So at this point, I really don't know if she will respond to emails...she was very good about it in the past...but recently, not so much

In that case, try emailing her early in the week and maybe drop by her office or call later in the week if she doesn't respond. I suppose the winter break just started so she's not slammed with classes anymore and may have even started catching up on some of her work. Give her the benefit of the doubt.

In that case, try emailing her early in the week and maybe drop by her office or call later in the week if she doesn't respond. I suppose the winter break just started so she's not slammed with classes anymore and may have even started catching up on some of her work. Give her the benefit of the doubt.

Thank you fuzzylogician...I feel more relaxed now and yes, i think i will give her the benefit of the doubt..she did give me her word and she's always been professional for years.