Rejections and grades/scores

router

So as a CS MS applicant, with 800Q/720V/5.0 GRE, 3.74 GPA, 3.9+ major GPA. No undergrad research, I expect this is my weak point, though as a Masters applicant I didn't think it would matter too much. So far I've been rejected from MIT, Berkeley, and UMD. MIT I can understand, I haven't been published (lol), and Berkeley is a similar deal...but I'm surprised I didn't get into UMD with those numbers. I'm still waiting to hear from Stanford. Is it unreasonable to think that I have a shot at getting accepted?

I have gotten into a couple other pretty decent schools, so if I don't get into Stanford I'm not completely screwed, will just be sad. :-(

Merit doesn't always cut it at top programs. Perhaps your SOP or LOR weren't superlative and research may be underscrored as a criteria for the committee. Don't take it personally and be happy you're in at least somehwere. :D

I am surprised that you would be rejected with these numbers you posted even for Berkeley, much less Maryland. There has to be something else weak in your application. Maryland states in their catalog that average admission to their school is

"The average score for the General GRE is: Verbal- 580, Quantitative- 780, and Analytical- 5.0."

You are apparently better than that. Your GPA sounds rather strong as well.