Grad school decisions (+ an acedemic spouse!)

pawnee68502

There is a similar discussion on another thread, but I thought possibly there were enough of us out there dealing with this issue, maybe I should start a new topic.

I will be starting my grad program in Fall '09, but with a husband in academia, who is ready to being a tenure track position, I'm now dealing with the stress of trying to find 2 perfect schools--one where we'll both fit in.

My question is: Do any of you have advice on how to face this difficult decision? My current advisor lived apart from his spouse for 5+ years while they were both finishing advanced degrees. To me, this is really over the top. I'd like to say, screw it, 'me first! let's go wherever I want to go!' and choose whatever ever program is best for me, but realistically there's two of us to consider for.

Anyone else out there dealing with a similar situation? Advice?

You could try to pick a school that's in an area with several universities for your spouse to choose from. Move to Boston -- you'll have more than you can count! Then you could live in the same city but commute to different schools, so you don't have to find one perfect institution.

my husband is in higher ed admin- so when i was deciding where to apply for grad programs we tried to limit it to cities or areas with many colleges in a 90 mile radius. examples - baltimore/DC/northern Va; greater chicago area/milwaukee. of course there's the greater boston area but we are moving away from boston.

basically you have to both be prepared to have a substantial commute in the worst case scenario- but the trade offs are worth it. i think. haha.

There is a similar discussion on another thread, but I thought possibly there were enough of us out there dealing with this issue, maybe I should start a new topic.

I would much prefer we did not duplicate our topics. If you could move this discussion back to one of the other "two-body problem" discussions I haven't locked down yet, I would appreciate it.