A new member hello

hedgequant

Just wanted to say that I am enjoying reading through this forum. I have completed most, if not all, of my applications for 2011 PhD admittance, and now I'm in the horrible wait and wait and wait mode. Hope to contribute to the discussions, and good luck to everyone this year. My schools are in my signature.

Here's hoping!

Just wanted to say that I am enjoying reading through this forum. I have completed most, if not all, of my applications for 2011 PhD admittance, and now I'm in the horrible wait and wait and wait mode. Hope to contribute to the discussions, and good luck to everyone this year. My schools are in my signature.

Here's hoping!

What was your profile?

Good Luck with the applications :)

BBA top 10 undergrad

some masters work at University of London

4.0 GPA, graduated #1/265

6-years as a research analyst and eventually Director of Research for a multi-billion dollar asset management company

GRE: Quant 800, Verbal 570, AWA 5.0

I think a very strong SOP

Good LORs (raving reviews I'm told...but from professors that are good, just not internationally renowned or anything)

My work did not allow for papers to be published, but I did present one paper and lead a seminar in London at an international derivatives conference

Official math coursework in calculus, econometrics, econ theory, etc.

Ran my own hedge fund dealing in equity derivatives, and learned more advanced maths, linear algebra, PDE/SDEs, etc.

Research interests are game theory applications to derivative pricing and other asymmetric information games

To be honest, I'm scared out of my mind.blink.gifunsure.gifblink.gifunsure.gifblink.gifunsure.gifblink.gifunsure.gifblink.gifunsure.gif

Any comments are welcome, good or bad.

• 2 weeks later...

hey,

i saw your reply in one of the threads on urch. you truly have an amazing profile. did you have interviews already? how did it go? please provide some insights if you will!

best of luck,

lawrence

BBA top 10 undergrad

some masters work at University of London

4.0 GPA, graduated #1/265

6-years as a research analyst and eventually Director of Research for a multi-billion dollar asset management company

GRE: Quant 800, Verbal 570, AWA 5.0

I think a very strong SOP

Good LORs (raving reviews I'm told...but from professors that are good, just not internationally renowned or anything)

My work did not allow for papers to be published, but I did present one paper and lead a seminar in London at an international derivatives conference

Official math coursework in calculus, econometrics, econ theory, etc.

Ran my own hedge fund dealing in equity derivatives, and learned more advanced maths, linear algebra, PDE/SDEs, etc.

Research interests are game theory applications to derivative pricing and other asymmetric information games

To be honest, I'm scared out of my mind.blink.gifunsure.gifblink.gifunsure.gifblink.gifunsure.gifblink.gifunsure.gifblink.gifunsure.gif

Any comments are welcome, good or bad.

You are kind to say I have an amazing profile...I can definitely only see the weaknesses in it myself. I have not received any interview requests yet, but a professor who is the head of the adcom at a top 30 program in the northeast extended an offer to come by and chat, and I took him up on it last week.

I felt good about things after speaking with him, and it really got me even more excited to get started somewhere (anywhere!). He did communicate that the committee wouldn't be doing much by way of review until the first week of Feb (this program had a Jan 1 deadline, for reference).

I also wanted to say that this forum is much nicer and more supportive than urch...over there, everyone just picks everything apart and there is a lot of hearsay with respect to status updates and such...always "i heard a friend of a friend..." type of stuff.

Best of luck to you too Lawrence...

Haha, no I really mean it. I applied to top Finance programs and NOT keeping my fingers crossed, because my specs are just not as competitive as they should be. But oh well! That's really cool. I haven't had any informal/formal interviews. I am hoping to get some phone interviews at some point in Feb, but of course no high hopes. I am from Boston, so I was excited to hear (from urch) that you were visiting beantown. I prefer staying in Boston, so I applied to a couple of schools here. Geographical location is something I take into account. Do you have any geographical preference? I see you are from the lone star state. One of my friends is from UT Austin and wasn't too happy with the Longhorn's performance this year. Lolz. Speaking of which, NY Mayor Bloomberg anticipates Jets kicking Patriots butt soon and also making all the way to the Super Bowl. Have a good rest of Sunday.

p.s. urch is an informative forum, but I do agree people there tend to be more insane than that of thegradcafe. But I have empathy for their insanity. Being in a limbo feels suckyyyyy.

-L.

You are kind to say I have an amazing profile...I can definitely only see the weaknesses in it myself. I have not received any interview requests yet, but a professor who is the head of the adcom at a top 30 program in the northeast extended an offer to come by and chat, and I took him up on it last week.

I felt good about things after speaking with him, and it really got me even more excited to get started somewhere (anywhere!). He did communicate that the committee wouldn't be doing much by way of review until the first week of Feb (this program had a Jan 1 deadline, for reference).

I also wanted to say that this forum is much nicer and more supportive than urch...over there, everyone just picks everything apart and there is a lot of hearsay with respect to status updates and such...always "i heard a friend of a friend..." type of stuff.

Best of luck to you too Lawrence...

Undergrad: BC (Econ)

Grad: Ivy (Math)

GRE: 750/700

Math Course: Basic stats and probability courses + Calc I, II, III + undergrad stochastic processes, real/complex analysis (undergrad)

Research: Honors thesis in college, independent project at graduate school

Work Experience: 3 summer internships

SoP: A narrative style why I want to do research/teach and the topics I am interested.

LoR: two from undergrad + one from grad. Hopefully it is at minimum as glowing as all the other ones. Lol

lh,

do you mind if I ask your profile?

Haha, but it comes down to whether you get interview offers or not. And you already have informal ones lined up or already had one :) Me = zilch

um...I dont rank up there with you on any metric...I appreciate you being nice, but I don't have those specs.

• 2 weeks later...

if the database is any indication, the real action starts in mid feb-mid march. I have heard rumors that a few top schools with Dec 1 deadlines have started sending out interviews, but they are the exception. Accounting programs seem to have more action so far.

Good luck to you! Do you mind if I ask your profile/stats?

if the database is any indication, the real action starts in mid feb-mid march. I have heard rumors that a few top schools with Dec 1 deadlines have started sending out interviews, but they are the exception. Accounting programs seem to have more action so far.

Good luck to you! Do you mind if I ask your profile/stats?

Undergrad: Finance and Statistics at top 10 school

Math coursework: Stat coursework included probability, time series econometrics, stochastic processes. On the math side took a year of calc and real analysis as well.

GRE: 800M, 730V

Work Experience: Have about 1.5 years of work experience in consulting since graduating college.

Research Experience: Wrote a honors thesis my Senior year. My work eventually contributed to a conference paper coauthored with my advisor on the project.

LoRs: Professors I did research with and took a couple of classes with. I waived my right to see them, but I trust they are pretty good. Not big name professors though so not sure how powerful they will end up being.

I'm trying not to get my hopes too high. I know the process is incredibly competitive, and spots in the top programs very limited, so I'm already mentally preparing myself to reapply next year :-/ Let's see how it turns out.

Edited by anxious2011

Business Schools usually send their decisions in February-March, depending on the application deadline.

I know that my #1 school adcomm meets this Friday blink.gif but I have no idea what for, that is i don't know if they just starting their discussion or they meet to decide.

The deadline for this school was Dec 1st

hope it helps

Hey people,

I'm in the same boat as you'll. Applied to several PhD programs in Finance. Haven't heard back from anyone about interviews, and the wait is killing me!

Any idea when decisions for most of these programs tend to come out?

HBS?

Business Schools usually send their decisions in February-March, depending on the application deadline.

I know that my #1 school adcomm meets this Friday blink.gif but I have no idea what for, that is i don't know if they just starting their discussion or they meet to decide.

The deadline for this school was Dec 1st

hope it helps