Publishing a Translation as an Undergrad?

Hashem1

Q: Is it OK to publish a work (in this case, an English translation of a medieval Arabic treatise) prior to grad school? I'll have nearly completed this translation, parts of which I've used for my senior honors thesis, by next year; I've had several native speakers of Arabic (almost all professors) review and edit the translation. In this case, I'd have to publish the work through a print-on-demand method (e.g., Lulu.com) or through a publisher in Egypt (this particular publishing company is well-respected in the country, although, like Lulu.com, it would still be considered "self-publishing").

I realize that while it may be considered a faux pas to publish before grad school (maybe even during grad school?), it also seems like this is important information that scholars and lay people alike could benefit greatly from - and without waiting years for me to finish grad school and have an academic publisher (in the West) decide to print my translation (and thereby "certify" it?). At the same time, I don't want to run the risk of people (adcoms) thinking I'm brash or overconfident and creating a bad reputation for myself.

While I dare not speak for all fields, I'm not aware of any faux pauxs committed by way of publishing prior to graduate school. On the contrary, it generally works in your favor. Taking the time and putting forth the effort shows initiative and dedication, two traits that are sought after in graduate students.

Well, I'm not convinced that Dacey's assessment is correct; I think many grad schools tend to be cautious of those who publish in not terribly well-reputed sources before proceeding further in their professional development. However, you don't have to tell anyone you published it, so if it sucks, you can conveniently leave it off your application.

Well, I'm not convinced that Dacey's assessment is correct; I think many grad schools tend to be cautious of those who publish in not terribly well-reputed sources before proceeding further in their professional development. However, you don't have to tell anyone you published it, so if it sucks, you can conveniently leave it off your application.

I realized after reading a reply to this same question in another forum that I neglected to address the how and where of publishing caveat. Just being published isn't enough. Non-refereed means are usually disregarded and in some cases frowned upon. Even within peer-reviewed journals and publications, there is a tier system of credibility and desirability. You have to know your field (if you don't know, ask) to determine where to seek acceptance.