Publishing as an Undergrad?

Hashem1

Is it OK to publish a work (in this case, an English translation of a medieval Arabic treatise) prior to grad school? I'll have nearly completed this translation, parts of which I've used for my senior honors thesis, by next year; I've had several native speakers of Arabic (almost all professors) review and edit the translation. In this case, I'd have to publish the work through a print-on-demand method (e.g., Lulu.com) or through a publisher in Egypt (this particular publishing company is well-respected in the country, although, like Lulu.com, it would be considered "self-publishing").

I realize that while it may be considered a faux pas to publish before grad school (maybe even during grad school?), it also seems like this is important information that scholars and lay people alike could benefit greatly from - and without waiting years for me to finish grad school and have an academic publisher (in the West) decide to print my translation (and thereby "certify" it?). At the same time, I don't want to run the risk of people (adcoms) thinking I'm brash or overconfident and creating a bad reputation for myself.

Is it OK to publish a work (in this case, an English translation of a medieval Arabic treatise) prior to grad school? I'll have nearly completed this translation, parts of which I've used for my senior honors thesis, by next year; I've had several native speakers of Arabic (almost all professors) review and edit the translation. In this case, I'd have to publish the work through a print-on-demand method (e.g., Lulu.com) or through a publisher in Egypt (this particular publishing company is well-respected in the country, although, like Lulu.com, it would be considered "self-publishing").

I realize that while it may be considered a faux pas to publish before grad school (maybe even during grad school?), it also seems like this is important information that scholars and lay people alike could benefit greatly from - and without waiting years for me to finish grad school and have an academic publisher (in the West) decide to print my translation (and thereby "certify" it?). At the same time, I don't want to run the risk of people (adcoms) thinking I'm brash or overconfident and creating a bad reputation for myself.

I'm in History not religion, but, generally, self-publishing is not well looked upon in academia. If it is really important enough, you shouldn't need to self-publish. Over on the CHE forums, I have seen conversations discussing this and the general consensus seems to be that self-publishing is not "real" publishing. Of course, I don't know all the specifics of your case or anything about publishing in Egypt. However, this is what I have come across regarding self-publishing.

I'm in History not religion, but, generally, self-publishing is not well looked upon in academia. If it is really important enough, you shouldn't need to self-publish. Over on the CHE forums, I have seen conversations discussing this and the general consensus seems to be that self-publishing is not "real" publishing. Of course, I don't know all the specifics of your case or anything about publishing in Egypt. However, this is what I have come across regarding self-publishing.

I do feel it's an important work (the treatise contains key info on Mu'tazili historiography), but at the same time I'm not even a grad student yet – what academic publishing company would ever offer a deal to an undergrad publishing (in the humanities, I mean)? I don't think it's ever been done, especially in this field, and I wouldn't hold out, hoping that I'm some exception.

What I'm thinking about doing is publishing the work (and people would essentially be forced to deal with it, despite it being printed by Lulu.com), and just not include it on my CV...at least not yet. I'd also just post it all on the internet – something that's bound to happen eventually, whether I like it or not – but I would like some credit for all the hours I've put into it.

• 2 weeks later...

I do feel it's an important work (the treatise contains key info on Mu'tazili historiography), but at the same time I'm not even a grad student yet – what academic publishing company would ever offer a deal to an undergrad publishing (in the humanities, I mean)? I don't think it's ever been done, especially in this field, and I wouldn't hold out, hoping that I'm some exception.

What I'm thinking about doing is publishing the work (and people would essentially be forced to deal with it, despite it being printed by Lulu.com), and just not include it on my CV...at least not yet. I'd also just post it all on the internet – something that's bound to happen eventually, whether I like it or not – but I would like some credit for all the hours I've put into it.

Is there some urgency about publishing it? I'd sooner wait five years to publish it properly than publish on a vanity press now - in fact, I see no point whatsoever in publishing with a vanity press, especially if you think it's good work. Why now and not later?

• 3 weeks later...

I work on two research journals at my school-one undergraduate, and one graduate. Both of these are good vehicles for publication, at least of an excerpt of your work

In addition to publishing in a research journal, you may want to start a blog! Academia in the 21st century is slowly starting to catch up with the new world of internet media. The students who stand the best chance of getting hired may be the ones who understand and can navigate both media 1.0, or print media, and media 3.0-the world of social networks and blogging. It would be interesting if you build a blog or a website around your research/translations, and then publicized this blog/website through sites like facebook, academia.edu, through your school newspaper/academic journals, etc. I truly believe that this kind of public engagement is the future of academia.

Alex