Campus visits

Awexome

A couple weeks I was accepted into a CS PhD program with a research assistantship, but there was no mention of a campus visit. I was wondering how typical it is for CS PhD programs to offer to reimburse campus visits.

Also, is it something I should consider inquiring about if it wasn't mentioned, or should I just assumed the fact that they didn't offer means they won't do it?

I honestly think a beautiful campus (which I have heard that this school does have) could influence my decision, as I'll be looking at it for the next 6 years (not to mention I'd love a free trip...).

Thanks

Edited by Awexome

I guess it depends where the department is at in the recruiting process. If you got in touch with a PI, advisor, grad coordinator already who is trying to convince you to go there I would ask this question directly.

I guess it depends where the department is at in the recruiting process. If you got in touch with a PI, advisor, grad coordinator already who is trying to convince you to go there I would ask this question directly.

Well, I was accepted to do research under a specific faculty member. I guess I could try asking him about it if I get some other acceptances and can say I am trying to decide between them.

Thanks!

Other input/experiences regarding campus visits is welcome

Edited by Awexome

From my experience, they typically will tell you about it via email. Also, they will offer to reimburse the plane fare and provide accommodation. But I'm pretty surprised you got the decision so early. None of the top 10 places that I applied to last year gave me a decision before February. Are you applying for spring admission?

From my experience, they typically will tell you about it via email. Also, they will offer to reimburse the plane fare and provide accommodation. But I'm pretty surprised you got the decision so early. None of the top 10 places that I applied to last year gave me a decision before February. Are you applying for spring admission?

Nope, applying for fall. This school has rolling admissions. It's top 25, not top 10 though.

Nope, applying for fall. This school has rolling admissions. It's top 25, not top 10 though.

I see. Most of the places schedule campus visit in batch so they could organize a "visit weekend" more efficiently. So I think you'll still have to wait until February. If you're talking about UNC, my friend said the same thing applied for them too even though they do rolling admission.

I see. Most of the places schedule campus visit in batch so they could organize a "visit weekend" more efficiently. So I think you'll still have to wait until February. If you're talking about UNC, my friend said the same thing applied for them too even though they do rolling admission.

So did all the schools that accepted you reimburse a campus visit or what?

Like I said before, all offered to reimburse plane fare and gave accommodation.

Thanks - I just wasn't clear on whether you meant that IF they reimbursed you then that was what they did, or if in fact your experience was that they all reimbursed you.

Thanks - I just wasn't clear on whether you meant that IF they reimbursed you then that was what they did, or if in fact your experience was that they all reimbursed you.

They all offered but I couldn't take up on the offer because I'm an international and it was too much hassle for me to get a visa and plan the trip in a rather short notice (They only gave me around 2-3 weeks preparation time for the visit).