What are the consequences

ferthepoet

Does anyone knows what are the consequences if after accepting an scholarship offer from one university and before starting the program one changes his mind due to receiving another scholarship offer or a good job offer..... I am torn because I need to respond to an scholarship offer in Australia next week but I might later get news about other stuff I might be more interested on

The above post is misleading as it makes reneging seem scary and illegal. Schools will not hold you to your commitment if you want to go elsewhere. You'll lose your deposit, but that's about it. Just let them know as soon as you know for sure. Also, they could certainly sue you for tuition, but they would likely lose. Even if winning were certain, no school would ever do this. Think about the bad publicity that would accrue to the school, not to mention the legal fees incurred would exceed any recovery they get from you.

Also, the profs will not blacklist you. Some academics may be petty, but they neither have the time nor care about the decisions prospective students make before even arriving at school.

Edited by Viking

ITA with Viking. As an administrator at a University we know students can pick other (better) offers. You can ask the uni in Australila for an extension, or you can tell them that you are considerig other options with better funding and if they could consider giving you more. Otherwise, you can accept, and later if you need to decline, they can offer the funding to someone else on their waitist or another incoming student. This has happended in my department at least once a year and I've worked here for about 4 years. The best thing that you can do ifnyou must decline, is to do so early. And I have never known of a prof to black list a prospecive student because of better funding. They threaten to move around based on funding all.the.time.