Choice between OXford and one US university

ACEFLY

Hi all,

several days ago I got the offer (PhD) from University of Oxford with full financially support, it is a good news for me. And I also obtained the offer from one Ivy university in the States. At present I am just thinking about which university to attend. My major is mechanical engineering, the sub direction is combustion and gas turbine. The research direction of the US advisor is relatively theoretical oriented, while the UK counterpart is much closer to the real world industrial projects. Honestly speaking, I incline to be a professor in the academia in the future. So, deal all, could you please give me some advice about this choice?

I also have some thinking about two universities:

(1) is the research environment much better in US than in UK, like funding, the gobal level of the academia?

(2) After graduation from the university, I would like to be a professor in a US university. If I choose to study in Ox, will it be comparatively hard for me to go back to US to find a position of faculty?

(3) In terms of the fame of Oxford or the US ivy university, which will receive more recognition in the academic community in UK and US?

Thank you very much and happy new year!

ACEFLY

God, you are spoilt by choice. :D

Based on the questions you ask and the way you ask them, I think you already made up your mind and just need reassurance. It is a very serious decision that you have to make on your own. Personally, I'd go for the USA. But that's 'personally'.

God, you are spoilt by choice. :D

Based on the questions you ask and the way you ask them, I think you already made up your mind and just need reassurance. It is a very serious decision that you have to make on your own.

Agreed. I would add that funding is easier to come by in the US than the UK, in general, although you're in a field that generally doesn't suffer from lack of money (compared to the humanities, for example), so that won't be a major factor.

If you want to teach college in the US, graduating from a US school is a safer bet.

Every academician I've spoken to has told me to do my PhD in the US if I want to teach there. Since the UK degrees are shorter and such, they're viewed as "just not how we do things" in the US (to quote one of my advisors states-side). Also, you're kind of out of the loop in terms of networking, as you'll have spent your years doing conferences, presentations, and events in the UK. Of course, if you're British, none of this holds. It would only make sense for you to stay in your home country.

So personally I'd be inclined to stay in the US.

Agreed. I would add that funding is easier to come by in the US than the UK, in general, although you're in a field that generally doesn't suffer from lack of money (compared to the humanities, for example), so that won't be a major factor.

If you want to teach college in the US, graduating from a US school is a safer bet.

Speaking of funding, if you're a EU/UK national, there aren't really that many funding opportunities for you in the USA. I don't know if the Ivy offers you full funding, if they do, go for the Ivy. Otherwise I'd encourage you to accept the offer from Oxford as it gives you full financial support.