Chances and stats for an MSW program...

Lilly

So instead of working on my applications I'm sitting in a coffee shop agonizing over my admission chances for fall 2011 MSW programs. Help a girl out and let me know what ya think...

Graduated from a state university with a double major (Sociology and Gender Studies) in 2008.

GPA: 3.87 overall, 3.9 Sociology, 4.0 Gender Studies

Work Experience: 8 years part and full time in education, 4 years full time in an urban, high poverty school.

Recommendations: 3 shining ones...

Life Experience: quirky, raised fundamentalist Christian, home schooled, now queer and a raging liberal... Fun stories. ;)

GRE: awful...first standardized test I'd ever taken... Quantitative: 450, Qualitative: 550, Writing: 4.5

Schools I'm applying to...

San Francisco State

UC Berkeley

University of Washington at Seattle

Portland State University

University of Chicago

University of IL at Chicago

Smith

Columbia

NYU

Boston College

Boston University

obviously, your numbers are good (Great GPA!). what was your undergrad school? also i think you're gonna have to be a bit more specific about your work experience to get some accurate feedback from peeps here, cuz there is just no way to tell...

So instead of working on my applications I'm sitting in a coffee shop agonizing over my admission chances for fall 2011 MSW programs. Help a girl out and let me know what ya think...

Graduated from a state university with a double major (Sociology and Gender Studies) in 2008.

Work Experience: 8 years part and full time in education, 4 years full time in an urban, high poverty school.

Life Experience: quirky, raised fundamentalist Christian, home schooled, now queer and a raging liberal... Fun stories. ;)

GRE: awful...first standardized test I'd ever taken... Quantitative: 450, Qualitative: 550, Writing: 4.5

San Francisco State

UC Berkeley

University of Chicago

Smith

Columbia

NYU

Boston College

Boston University

San Francisco State

UC Berkeley

University of Chicago

Smith

Columbia

NYU

Boston College

Boston University

I really think you have nothing to worry about. Academically and work-wise, you're very strong. While your GRE scores aren't great, from my experience with MSW programs, I think that they are becoming less and less relevant in the admissions process. That said, I do believe that if you have time, you may want to consider retaking the GRE, not only to improve your profile, but also boost your chances of getting certain fellowships, scholarships, etc.

To my knowledge, I think you'll have a great chance of getting into both Columbia and NYU. For the rest, I am not familiar with the programs so I cannot comment.

Don't wrack your brains over the process too much. Just let yourself shine in the Statement of Purpose and you'll be fine.