Where my GRE scores too low for Ivy Ph.D.?

marcusb

Sorry for the typo in the subject. I just noticed it now--too late to fix it. I applied to multiple "power" schools, Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Claremont, etc., for a Ph.D. in New Testament studies and got accepted by none of them. My GRE verbal score is 710, quantitative 440, and analytical 700. My B.A. GPA in Religion, concentration in biblical studies was 3.61 and my M.Div. GPA from a school more conservative than any of these was 3.81. I'm wondering if my GRE scores were too low. I don't know what it takes to get a higher verbal score, and I'd hope that the math score would be irrelevant. I don't know what the correlation of IQ to GRE score is but I'm feeling kind of dumb, given that there are people who get much higher verbal scores. Then again, maybe it's about knowing how to beat the test. Anyway, do you think my scores were too low? Thanks

Edited by marcusb

As an international student, I think your scores are strong except for the quantitive part -.-

mine is 560+800 , I wish I could get a verbal score like yours...

So comparing with my score,yours is really good~~

I know what I'm saying here doesn't help, but don't worry,don't feel bad for yourself.:)

Are your scores really old? I remember that scoring from the first time I took the GRE, back when I graduated from college mumblety years ago.

I seem to remember they would be more-than-decent scores (except for Quant), so I don't see why that would be a problem, unless they want more recent scores?

Sorry for the typo in the subject. I just noticed it now--too late to fix it. I applied to multiple "power" schools, Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Claremont, etc., for a Ph.D. in New Testament studies and got accepted by none of them. My GRE verbal score is 710, quantitative 440, and analytical 700. My B.A. GPA in Religion, concentration in biblical studies was 3.61 and my M.Div. GPA from a school more conservative than any of these was 3.81. I'm wondering if my GRE scores were too low. I don't know what it takes to get a higher verbal score, and I'd hope that the math score would be irrelevant. I don't know what the correlation of IQ to GRE score is but I'm feeling kind of dumb, given that there are people who get much higher verbal scores. Then again, maybe it's about knowing how to beat the test. Anyway, do you think my scores were too low? Thanks

Are you asking if the GRE scores were the thing that caused you to be rejected? If so, I don't think you can make that assumption. I think the 710 verbal score is quite good, the quantitative is low but, as you say, I'm guessing it doesn't matter for your field, and I'm not sure what the 700 analytical means. You simply have to face the fact that getting into those schools is incredibly competitive and that your credentials may be outstanding but so are many other applicants who also were rejected. I don't know how it works in your field, but your statement of purpose and writing sample probably also weighed more heavily. And sometimes there's just plain luck.

Just a thought... can you ask the schools directly? Approach it like, "I am sorry it didn't work out this year, but I am still interested in your program, and am wondering what I can do to enhance my appeal for the future."

Unless, of course, you aren't interested in applying again. smile.gif