So let's say that a transcript got lost...

gradstudent84

Just something that got me wondering recently, that's all.

Do they? I just don't think it's fair of them not to notify us if something didn't get processed and somehow got lost in the mail, which may result in our applications not being reviewed. I know some schools have online applications that keep track of our paperwork; i'm referring to the schools that don't have this option.

I wouldn't count on it. Departments often receive partial applications from people who change their mind about applying partway through the process. Following up on every incomplete application would take many, many man hours for the poor departmental staff, and they probably simply cannot afford to do so on top of all their other duties. It's your application, you're the one with the vested interest in making sure all the materials are in, it's your responsibility to check up on this.

If there's no automatic notification system to let you know that your application materials have all been received, call the staff person whose name is listed with the application information on the department website. If there's no name listed, call the department's front desk and ask who you should contact about it. Departmental staff don't want to see anybody fail over such a little thing; they will gladly help you if you take the initiative to ask.

When I was applying, two schools shoved the (chronologically) first two transcripts of mine, which were in my maiden name, into a file with my maiden name, thus leaving my application file (with my married name) "incomplete" for a good month. They never said anything about it to me. I finally figured out what was going on, called the departments, and rectified the situation.

For schools that do not have an online option where applicants can check receipt of items, I would wait about 2wks after the application deadline and then ask them about the missing paper transcript. However, if their application process included uploading an unofficial online transcript, it may not matter during the review stage whether the paper transcript arrives.

Just something that got me wondering recently, that's all.

Do they? I just don't think it's fair of them not to notify us if something didn't get processed and somehow got lost in the mail, which may result in our applications not being reviewed. I know some schools have online applications that keep track of our paperwork; i'm referring to the schools that don't have this option.

I think most schools tell you how you can track your application materials. Two of my schools allowed applicants to track materials online, while the other two sent e-mail updates. Of course, one school that sends e-mail updates notified me three days before the deadline that my undergrad transcript never arrived. They did allow me to send in an unofficial transcript until the official one arrives. I also have had other schools notify me that my application was incomplete, while at others I would just be SOL. I think it depends on the school, the size of the staff, and the number of applications. At places where they get 400 applications, I don't think it would be possible to notify every applicant when something was missing.