how does Oxford notify applicants of a decision?

new mexico

Looking at Oxford's Graduate Prospectus, it indicates that decisions are sent only by post (snail mail, yuck!); however, looking at result pages here, individuals were notified by both post AND email. Which one is it? I applied for an m.phil. in anthro (social sciences), and the deadline for the dept. to make a decision is tomorrow. Should I expect a letter in the post or an email? if a letter, how long from England to America?

thanks in advance!

Looking at Oxford's Graduate Prospectus, it indicates that decisions are sent only by post (snail mail, yuck!); however, looking at result pages here, individuals were notified by both post AND email. Which one is it? I applied for an m.phil. in anthro (social sciences), and the deadline for the dept. to make a decision is tomorrow. Should I expect a letter in the post or an email? if a letter, how long from England to America?

thanks in advance!

Last year I was "held for re-evaluation." I found out that the decision had been made via email, but the decision itself came in the post. It took 5 business days to reach me in the US.

thanks for the reply! i wonder if i'll know by post or email.... hmmm

seems they do it numerous ways. did you apply for anthro last year?

No, sorry, I applied for a Social Sciences MPhil.

So long as they haven't changed from last year, it's not numerous ways. To reiterate, as I wasn't clear: You will hear that a decision has been made via email, but you will not know what that decision is until you receive the letter.

It can be even more complicated than that. I applied for an Mst in Archaeology. I just heard yesterday (Jan 19th) via an email from a professor who congratulated me for my acceptance and went on to describe a course she taught that she thought would fit with my interests.

She prefaced the letter by saying, " I am writing to congratulate you on your acceptance to the Oxford Mst programme! If you haven't already, you should be receiving official notification very soon."

I know that the decisions were made for the first round of applicants on Jan. 14th but as of today, Jan. 20th, still nothing official via post.

It can be even more complicated than that. I applied for an Mst in Archaeology. I just heard yesterday (Jan 19th) via an email from a professor who congratulated me for my acceptance and went on to describe a course she taught that she thought would fit with my interests.

She prefaced the letter by saying, " I am writing to congratulate you on your acceptance to the Oxford Mst programme! If you haven't already, you should be receiving official notification very soon."

I know that the decisions were made for the first round of applicants on Jan. 14th but as of today, Jan. 20th, still nothing official via post.

congrats!!!! hopefully we'll find out officially soon :(

I applied to Oxford last year for an MSc and I was notified by mail about the decision. Later I was informed by email about the college decision.

I applied again this year (as I rejected my offer last year) and although they were supposed to send out a decision (by post) by 14th January they still haven't done so. Each department is responsible for admissions and they don't appear to be very concerned about keeping on top of deadlines.

I applied to Oxford last year for an MSc and I was notified by mail about the decision. Later I was informed by email about the college decision.

I applied again this year (as I rejected my offer last year) and although they were supposed to send out a decision (by post) by 14th January they still haven't done so. Each department is responsible for admissions and they don't appear to be very concerned about keeping on top of deadlines.

thanks for the reply! are you referring to the anthropology dept??? the anthro dept. hasn't sent out decisions yet? how do you know?

geez -- my app has been there for over 1/3rd of a year already...

thanks for the reply! are you referring to the anthropology dept??? the anthro dept. hasn't sent out decisions yet? how do you know?

No, sorry, I applied for a Social Sciences MPhil.

So long as they haven't changed from last year, it's not numerous ways. To reiterate, as I wasn't clear: You will hear that a decision has been made via email, but you will not know what that decision is until you receive the letter.

I saw that you're applying for a PhD this year - what department? I've applied to QEH...

Also you said you were wait-listed - was that for your MPhil? I've been wait-listed for the PhD and just trying to figure out how it all works!

I received an email with a scanned letter attached telling me I'd been wait-listed. I think that because I'm in the US they scanned rather than posted the letter. Other UK applicants seem to be hearing by post.

The impression I get is that it really depends on the department, which is not very helpful but can explain why people receive offers/rejection at different times and by different methods. I certainly don't get the impression that it's a very unified system.

The impression I get is that it really depends on the department, which is not very helpful but can explain why people receive offers/rejection at different times and by different methods. I certainly don't get the impression that it's a very unified system.

Yeah. I agree, I think the departments run pretty independently. Any idea when MPhil Economics decisions come out from Oxford?

Wow. That's pretty cool! I haven't heard a thing yet . . .and I'm in Santa Barbara too!

My experience this year has been quite positive. I got notified by e-mail two months after submitting my application. I was offered to get issued a real letter if I wanted to. lol An e-mail was sent on Sunday (!) - this is what surprised me the most.

My experience this year has been quite positive. I got notified by e-mail two months after submitting my application. I was offered to get issued a real letter if I wanted to. lol An e-mail was sent on Sunday (!) - this is what surprised me the most.

Congrats! Which department are you in?

I have no idea about the anthro department. My experience has been with the Latin American Centre, but I have talked the Graduate office and they said that most of of the letters are going out late.

I received an acceptance letter yesterday by email and then today by regular mail.