Philosophy Grad School Preparation Questions for an old student

Steamed Hams

Question

I am currently 40 years old and a part time undergrad while working full time. I recently decided to consider pursuing Philosophy grad school. I am trying to decide between just finishing my undergrad in Philosophy as quickly as I can or trying to also get a minor or additional majors in other areas of interest (like Cognitive Science or Biology for example). Adding minors or majors to my studies would likely add at least another year to my undergrad and it is possible that they would effect my ability to get straight A's in my philosophy classes. I am leaning towards option one in part due to my age as I think that since I would be trying to enter academia at an older than normal age it would be to my advantage to speed up my completion if I can. The downside to the first option is that it might make it more difficult to pursue study of certain subfields of philosophy that I might be interested in. However I do think it is possible that a minor specifically might not be as important as just taking some classes in other areas of interest which could easily be achieved by taking classes in other departments once I am in grad school. Any thoughts?

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet