Biomedical Science Ph.D.

soybean

Hi! Anyone here major in biomedical science(or more specifically, anything including cell biology, biochem, microbiology, virology, neuroscience and immunology)? I guess I will open a thread for all biomedical students.

I'm an international student and I've applied to 10 grad programs this year and got accepted to three average schools so far but I still haven't decided where to go. Although I've read the schools' websites and the program descriptions like a thousand times, what I know about US grad schools and their reputation can be limited. So I thought it would be more helpful if I could hear some of your opinions. I'm still deciding on whether I should choose University of Pittsburgh's Interdisciplinary Biomedical Graduate Program or The Ohio State University's Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology Program.

If anyone knows anything about either of these two schools, any advice would be very much appreciated. :-)

Hi, all. I am beginning my Ph.D. at the Indiana University School of Medicine this fall. This program is their their IBMG, or Biomedical Gateway umbrella program in the biomedical sciences.

Concerning the OP's question about Pitt or Ohio State, I cannot help you out with those programs. Sorry!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, all. I am beginning my Ph.D. at the Indiana University School of Medicine this fall. This program is their their IBMG, or Biomedical Gateway umbrella program in the biomedical sciences.

Concerning the OP's question about Pitt or Ohio State, I cannot help you out with those programs. Sorry!

It's okay. I've decided to join IBGP at Pitt. Congrats on your getting accepted to Indiana University! Hope you have fun studying there. :-)

I guess the reason you've heard more about Pitt is because Pitt has a great medical school. I figure, if I want to do something like curing diseases by majoring in biomedical science, I should choose a school that has a huge hospital on campus and a good reputation for medical research.

Anyway, thanks. I hope you got into the program you wanted. ?

The new wave of interdisciplinary programs offer a wide array of research opportunities - and Pitt definitely sounds like a great place. I would have applied there were I on the east coast...but I've decided to stay on the west and go to UCSD. Good luck this fall!