"Religious Studies" Programs and Degrees from Theological Institutions

aselfmadewinter

So, I've been given notice of being recommended for admission to the Faculty of Graduate Studies for UBC's Religious Studies PhD program. Being Canadian, that's a big deal for me, since it's usually ranked as our number two institution under U of Toronto, and so I'm really seriously considering going there. I was really excited until I discovered a potential problem...

My MA is from the Faculty of Theology of St. Michael's College at the University of Toronto, which is a constituent of the Toronto School of Theology. Though SMC is federated with UofT, the degree itself still comes from SMC. Apparently, UBC's Faculty of Graduate Studies has stated that degrees from theological institutions cannot be considered as a basis for admission. I'm slightly worried because, even though my degree is from a UofT federated school (and not, may I add, in theology), it might be considered a theological school. Besides, it's always kind of daunting to know that the department has accepted you but that some little wrinkle might still ruin everything at the FoGS.

Has anyone ever heard about anything like this? I understand the university's concern insofar as some of the... um... less reputable Bible colleges are concerned, but St. Michael's is a fairly reputable school. I contacted the department, and I was told that they'd considered the issue, but decided that SMC's reputation and connection to UofT would take care any problems. I was also told that the dept. admissions committee is closely monitering the process to make sure things go smoothly. That sounds like a good sign to me, buttttttttt... I'm not too sure.

I figure this is indicative of the widening gap between Religious Studies and Theology that seems to pop up every now and again. Has anyone else experienced this before? Should I be worried?

So, I've been given notice of being recommended for admission to the Faculty of Graduate Studies for UBC's Religious Studies PhD program. Being Canadian, that's a big deal for me, since it's usually ranked as our number two institution under U of Toronto, and so I'm really seriously considering going there. I was really excited until I discovered a potential problem...

My MA is from the Faculty of Theology of St. Michael's College at the University of Toronto, which is a constituent of the Toronto School of Theology. Though SMC is federated with UofT, the degree itself still comes from SMC. Apparently, UBC's Faculty of Graduate Studies has stated that degrees from theological institutions cannot be considered as a basis for admission. I'm slightly worried because, even though my degree is from a UofT federated school (and not, may I add, in theology), it might be considered a theological school. Besides, it's always kind of daunting to know that the department has accepted you but that some little wrinkle might still ruin everything at the FoGS.

Has anyone ever heard about anything like this? I understand the university's concern insofar as some of the... um... less reputable Bible colleges are concerned, but St. Michael's is a fairly reputable school. I contacted the department, and I was told that they'd considered the issue, but decided that SMC's reputation and connection to UofT would take care any problems. I was also told that the dept. admissions committee is closely monitering the process to make sure things go smoothly. That sounds like a good sign to me, buttttttttt... I'm not too sure.

I figure this is indicative of the widening gap between Religious Studies and Theology that seems to pop up every now and again. Has anyone else experienced this before? Should I be worried?

Not sure about the rules, but when in doubt, ask.