Odd Situation (BioE)

Haustier

Alright, so its my final semester as an undergrad bio-track ChBE at Ga Tech and of course I'm committing academic incest by applying to Ga Tech's Bioengineering program (#2 ranked). So here is my current problem. First off, this school doesn't interview and first round acceptances aren't made until late...like mid-March. One of the classes I'm taking this semester is taught by....you guessed it....the Chair of the BioE Graduate Admissions Committee and he seems to like me. Should I perhaps suggest that he take a good look at my application and push put it on the top of the stack or should I just not say anything and stay completely out of this.

I would say stay out of this. I had a prof who explicitly told me he can help me more if i do not ask a recommendation from him when he was in the committee (because of the conflict of interest). Of course it all depends on the institutional culture too . Anyway there is a big chance he knows that you applied (the most I would do is mention this fact by accident ) and if he likes you he may help you. In case you get in though you may hear the information much much much earlier than mid march.