SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

Hi fsustar83,

I felt like it was too early to post schools I'm applying to, but I sure was itching to!

Not 100% finalized, but the lucky ones are:

- Teachers College

- University of Washington

- UMass Amherst

- Chapman University

- Loma Linda University

- San Francisco State

- San Diego State

- Cal State LA

- Cal State Fullerton (where I'm currently attending as a postbacc)

Trying to shoot for the big ones for out of state, otherwise looking to stay in Cali. Anyone else joining the madness this fall?

Hi fsustar83 - I lurk these boards for my husband, who is going to be applying for fall 2012. He's currently attending PSU's post-bacc program, and will be applying to Portland State, University of Washington, Sacramento State, and San Francisco State. Good luck!

Haha i love that you used the word 'lurk'. I'm originally from CA, but I've lived in FL for a long time. Portland is where I'd LOVE to live, but that program seems ridiculously competitive, especially for an out-of-state student. Good luck to him (and you!) :)

Hi fsustar83,

I felt like it was too early to post schools I'm applying to, but I sure was itching to!

Not 100% finalized, but the lucky ones are:

- Teachers College

- University of Washington

- UMass Amherst

- Chapman University

- Loma Linda University

- San Francisco State

- San Diego State

- Cal State LA

- Cal State Fullerton (where I'm currently attending as a postbacc)

Trying to shoot for the big ones for out of state, otherwise looking to stay in Cali. Anyone else joining the madness this fall?

I'd love to go back to CA, but the programs there seem pretty tough to get into. Do you know anything about Chico State's program? I was giving it some thought.

Edited by fsustar83

I am applying for fall 2012 also. My list is:

-UNC- Chapel Hill

-University of Tennessee- Knoxville

-Auburn University

-University of Georgia

-Florida State University

-University of South Florida

-University of Central Florida

If anyone knows anything about the program at UGA, I'd love to hear about it. It's the only school on my list that I don't know a LOT about. Thanks! :)

I went to Florida State for undergrad, I loved it there. I wouldn't mind going back! I was thinking of applying to Valdosta state in GA, but they require an undergrad degree in CSD according to the website. I'm almost done with 21 credits of CSD prerequisite courses at Florida Atlantic Univ., but my undergrad major is in psych. I wonder if they'd consider me? Good luck with your apps!

I'd love to go back to CA, but the programs there seem pretty tough to get into. Do you know anything about Chico State's program? I was giving it some thought.

Don't know anything about Chico... it's a bit hard to find out about a lot of the CSU's programs actually. It seems like they're definitely more competitive than the California privates though, which is why I'm still applying to Loma Linda even though I'm not too impressed with them. There's also Redlands, which is out in the boonies with Loma Linda. Chapman seems like a very promising program, and since they're just starting it (I think they're on their 3rd cohort right now?) I would think they'd take a longer and more open look at a decent application.

Don't know anything about Chico... it's a bit hard to find out about a lot of the CSU's programs actually. It seems like they're definitely more competitive than the California privates though, which is why I'm still applying to Loma Linda even though I'm not too impressed with them. There's also Redlands, which is out in the boonies with Loma Linda. Chapman seems like a very promising program, and since they're just starting it (I think they're on their 3rd cohort right now?) I would think they'd take a longer and more open look at a decent application.

Yeah you're probably right about that. My dad lives in San Clemente, but I live in Florida so I wouldn't qualify for in-state tuition. I'm starting to re-think my choices!

Edited by fsustar83

Just throwing this out there, on the topic of out-of-state tuition (though I don't know if it will help you, fsustar83) - CA has a policy that out-of-state students who spent at least 3 years in a CA high school and graduated qualify for in-state tuition even if they would otherwise be considered out-of-state. It's not something they heavily advertise, though, so you may have to mention it. In any case, that's pretty much the only reason my husband is applying to CA schools, as he graduated high school there. The specific bill is California's Assembly Bill 540.

Just throwing this out there, on the topic of out-of-state tuition (though I don't know if it will help you, fsustar83) - CA has a policy that out-of-state students who spent at least 3 years in a CA high school and graduated qualify for in-state tuition even if they would otherwise be considered out-of-state. It's not something they heavily advertise, though, so you may have to mention it. In any case, that's pretty much the only reason my husband is applying to CA schools, as he graduated high school there. The specific bill is California's Assembly Bill 540.

Oh wow, I didn't know that. Unfortunately, I went to high school in FL!

Hello There!

I am applying to San Francisco State and San Jose State for Fall 2012. I was hoping that I could get application advise from someone who is currently attending either University. I'm an out of state student and I am hoping I can get into San Francisco State preferably. I have a Linguistics Major, but I'm currently finishing up the graduate prereqs.

I'm also looking for back-up ideas within the San Francisco area in case I am not accepted this time around. I'm relocating to the area regardless and if worse comes to worse, I'll have to apply again for Fall 2013.

Any advice or suggestions?

Thanks!!!!

Hello There!

I am applying to San Francisco State and San Jose State for Fall 2012. I was hoping that I could get application advise from someone who is currently attending either University. I'm an out of state student and I am hoping I can get into San Francisco State preferably. I have a Linguistics Major, but I'm currently finishing up the graduate prereqs.

I'm also looking for back-up ideas within the San Francisco area in case I am not accepted this time around. I'm relocating to the area regardless and if worse comes to worse, I'll have to apply again for Fall 2013.

Any advice or suggestions?

Thanks!!!!

I'm not sure if you're looking only for public schools, but there's University of Pacific in Stockton. Their program is accelerated, 24 months for those without an SLP background, and 15 months for those with.

Hey everyone!

I'm another Fall 2012 applicant. I don't have a background in SLP - I graduated with a degree in Molecular and Cellular Biology from the University of Illinois, so I am a bit apprehensive about the application process. By the time I apply, I will only have about 14 semester hours of pre-reqs completed. I'm planning to apply to Northwestern, Vanderbilt, University of Illinois, Northern IL University, and Purdue. I'd be interested in any advice on how many schools to apply to and what sort of chances I have without an undergraduate background.

My undergrad GPA was a 3.86. GRE: 1480, 790 Quant, 690 Verbal and a 5 on analytical writing. Additionally, I volunteered for about 120 hours at an auditory-oral school run by a local hospital. Other than that, I do not have any other relevant experience to list on my application. I'm hoping to get some observation hours in within the next few months. Any suggestions on how to bolster my application?

Also, how common is funding in master's levels programs?

Your stats look good. I would definitely look into getting more volunteer/observation hours. I would also make sure that your letters of recommendation come from SLP professors, if possible. The only other piece is your letter of intent, which you'll want to be strong, of course. :)

Funding isn't very common, overall - if you apply to private schools, they often have scholarships and whatnot to offset their price tag, but public schools seem to have limited funding offers.

Hi everyone, I'm an international student, applying to UT at Dallas, Spring, 2012. My undergrad major is English. Is there any out-of-field student like me?

I have been reading the certification requirements at ASHA. It says"How much course work must be completed? Applicants for certification in speech-language pathology must complete a minimum of 75 semester credit hours (112.50 quarter hours) overall, including at least 36 semester credit hours (47 quarter hours) at the graduate level." Does this mean that I have to complete at least 75 credit hours during the graduate study? If so, I guess I have to spend at least two years to finish it and the tuition will be really high...

Any information about this? Thank you!

The 75 credit hours includes the coursework you would have done if you were a Comm Disorders major for your BA. Check with UT to see if you can complete those hours at another institution. There are several US schools where you can take those courses distance (I don't know if you can do them before Spring '12, though!) whose credits may transfer. Three years is pretty standard for out-of-field students if you don't have any of the pre-req classes done.

Thank you Astrid, UTD does offer those courses to out-of-field students and I'm afraid there is not enough time for me to complete them before Spring '12. Hopefully I can get the admission from UTD. Again, thank you for your reply.

The 75 credit hours includes the coursework you would have done if you were a Comm Disorders major for your BA. Check with UT to see if you can complete those hours at another institution. There are several US schools where you can take those courses distance (I don't know if you can do them before Spring '12, though!) whose credits may transfer. Three years is pretty standard for out-of-field students if you don't have any of the pre-req classes done.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How's everyone doing on their apps? Need to unload myself a little here...

Just completed draft #4 of personal statement, getting it edited by someone at the career center tomorrow. Finally got three professors to write me recommendations, although I'm not so sure about the strength of one of them... Spent forever putting together their packets (with resume, copy of PS, envelopes, transcript, etc.) Got together most of my order forms for transcripts. Filled in most of the general info for the school apps... still have supplementals to do. Feels like I've been working on all this stuff forever! My poor printer :(

Happy to see a fellow student from CA! I totally feel your pain, it seems like we're taking another upper division class filled with papers and research, isn't it?

I'm still working on my PS, waiting for 2 letters but I definitely need to send my transcripts and GRE now, schools in the east coast have a much faster pace than the west, forcing me to work on two waves of applications simultaneously. =(

Happy to see a fellow student from CA! I totally feel your pain, it seems like we're taking another upper division class filled with papers and research, isn't it?

I'm still working on my PS, waiting for 2 letters but I definitely need to send my transcripts and GRE now, schools in the east coast have a much faster pace than the west, forcing me to work on two waves of applications simultaneously. =(

Yep just finished sending all those in! And it's a pain having the deadlines spread so far out, from December til mid-Feb... geez.

Looks like we're applying to some of the same schools :) What area of speech are you interested in?

Hey lessta and JenniferD!

I'm applying to SJ, SF, LA and SD as well (and some others). Stressful knowing how picky they are! How did you guys narrow your list down (specifically, the CA schools)? I've made minimal progress only because I've got a list of 14 and need to trim it, but don't know how to do it! I don't want to eliminate a school that might take me. But I don't know if I can handle this amount!

Hey lessta and JenniferD!

I'm applying to SJ, SF, LA and SD as well (and some others). Stressful knowing how picky they are! How did you guys narrow your list down (specifically, the CA schools)? I've made minimal progress only because I've got a list of 14 and need to trim it, but don't know how to do it! I don't want to eliminate a school that might take me. But I don't know if I can handle this amount!

Hey Astrid :)

For the CA schools, I picked them mostly based on location. SF because of its amazing city, LA because I live so close, Fullerton because I'm already going there for postbacc right now. I like San Diego's program and that they have such a strong audiology program as well, it speaks out louder than some of the other Cal States. And I visited Northridge and liked their clinic. Chapman's not part of the Cal states, but I also went to visit them and it seemed like the profs really truly care about their students.

Which schools are you looking at? 14 might be a bit much to handle... Try refining your list by location or program focus (which is hard I know since CSUs don't really talk about their programs too much).

ses88

Congrats on a great GRE score and a very strong GPA from a Major University while completing a tough major.

You should volunteer were ever possible, possibly labs at Illinois, Illinois has a very strong Grad program in SLP.

I would emphasize in my SOP why you are making such a dramatic change in fields.

You are appling to very strong Universities that are highly rated and selective for SLP, the competition will have strong academic grades and scores as well. You must differentiate yourself through SLP profs, comments and your SOP.

Sounds as though you may have already graduated with your Undergrad degree. Volunteer hours will be harder to get in University labs if this is the case, emphasize your strong work ethic and professional experience.

Your Masters will be a 3 year program without the Undergrad degree. The programs run basically all year course work / intern work.

Good luck, just not too much at Vandy, Ill, Purdue, NW, These are on my list as well, there is not much room in these classes. :D

Hey everyone!

I'm another Fall 2012 applicant. I don't have a background in SLP - I graduated with a degree in Molecular and Cellular Biology from the University of Illinois, so I am a bit apprehensive about the application process. By the time I apply, I will only have about 14 semester hours of pre-reqs completed. I'm planning to apply to Northwestern, Vanderbilt, University of Illinois, Northern IL University, and Purdue. I'd be interested in any advice on how many schools to apply to and what sort of chances I have without an undergraduate background.

My undergrad GPA was a 3.86. GRE: 1480, 790 Quant, 690 Verbal and a 5 on analytical writing. Additionally, I volunteered for about 120 hours at an auditory-oral school run by a local hospital. Other than that, I do not have any other relevant experience to list on my application. I'm hoping to get some observation hours in within the next few months. Any suggestions on how to bolster my application?

Also, how common is funding in master's levels programs?

Depending on their mood, Vandy can take a lot of non-background students. The class above me is mostly non-background.

What specific areas of SLP are you interested in? Bio would be super helpful in a few research areas :)

Thanks, leesta.

Getting info out of CSUs is like pulling teeth! The problem with using location as a determining factor for me is that I am able and willing to move pretty much anywhere! Right now I'm looking closely at all the contenders and seeing if there are things I've missed that would be a dealbreaker. I've narrowed the list down to 11 now and a chunk of those are CSDCAS (which makes it slightly easier for LORs, though I'm still going to have to pay mucho fees).

-LB just got booted because you need ALL equivalent classes before Fall '12 and I cannot find a bilingual/multicultural disorders/assessment class anywhere online or in CA that I could take by itself to satisfy that (anyone else find a solution?) Also I've sent several emails in the last 6 months and never got a reply and calling them goes nowhere. Bad signs. Shame though because I've heard good things about their program.

-East Bay is also out because many of their non-comm disorders undergrad requirements (bio with lab, psych, anatomy, and stats) have to have been done in the last 7 years. Assuming that these GE classes are usually done in the first 2 years of school, that means if you have been graduated 4 or 5 years you have to retake these. I have enough classes to finish up my BA and a few more to prep for grad school over the summer - I am NOT adding classes I've already taken (and whose fields have not exactly changed/added new important info) to that list. Also, the fact that this discorages older or experienced students (even though I am on the young-ish side myself) does not not speak well to the breadth and diversity of the program.