SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

Thanks for your response and congratulations on being accepted!!! I hope that means they're close to sending out answers to the two-year program applicants as well, that's what I'm waiting on!

Your stats are awesome, I'm sure this is just one of many acceptances coming your way :) What field is your undergrad background in?

Thanks, I really hope that this was the first of more good news! I'm especially hoping that one of the schools will decide to offer some funding...that would be beyond amazing! The thought of taking on tons of debt is a little scary....

I double majored in Psychology and English as an undergrad (I'm a few years out of school now). I've had a lot of experience with kids, including children with autism (which I am particularly interested in), as well as experience with adults with Alzheimer's. I had thought about clinical psych, but I'm not terribly interested in research and the thought of 5-7 years in grad school....not for me! Just last year, someone suggested SLP, and when I did more research, I discovered that I love the field...so here I am! :-)

Allie, I hope that UMD gets around to the 2-year program soon!!! This whole waiting process is horribly nerve-wracking. I hope you get great news soon!

Hi, Allie!

I was accepted from UMD on Monday for a master's in SLP (the three year program). I was really surprised that they sent an email, since they had specifically stated that they wouldn't inform us of decisions via email. Still, I was thrilled to find out good news so early! My stats are GPA 3.95 and GRE 165 (V)/157 (Q)/4.5.

This is probably a stupid question, but I filled out so many apps that now I can't even remember specifying a two-year vs three-year for UMD. Is three-year just for people who do not have a COMD background? Allie, I also applied to UMD (I'm assuming the two year program? haha... not a good sign if I can't remember, but I do have a background in COMD) and haven't heard anything yet, good or bad.

This is probably a stupid question, but I filled out so many apps that now I can't even remember specifying a two-year vs three-year for UMD. Is three-year just for people who do not have a COMD background? Allie, I also applied to UMD (I'm assuming the two year program? haha... not a good sign if I can't remember, but I do have a background in COMD) and haven't heard anything yet, good or bad.

I don't remember specifying on mine either, I think you end up in the three-year if you don't have the pre-reqs. I hope we get good news soon! Are you applying to any other Maryland schools?

I think you probably didn't even realize there was a 3 year option because it didn't apply to you, since you already have the background...I get an extra year so I can catch up to where you guys already are! Good luck, hope you hear good news soon!

I don't remember specifying on mine either, I think you end up in the three-year if you don't have the pre-reqs. I hope we get good news soon! Are you applying to any other Maryland schools?

No, UMD is my only Maryland school, but I did apply to both Vanderbilt and PDX state as well... here's hoping we both get some good news soon! :)

Did anyone else just receive an email from Minnesota about an open house? ... does this mean we've been accepted or have they sent it to everyone?

Oh geez...just received it too. What the heck does this mean? I checked the application portal where we applied and you can also check the status of your application, but it still says "awaiting program decision". I'm not going to get my hopes up too soon.

No, UMD is my only Maryland school, but I did apply to both Vanderbilt and PDX state as well... here's hoping we both get some good news soon! :)

Well we'll have to keep each other posted when we hear from those three then! Good luck!!! Who knows, maybe we'll be in the same program this fall :P

I'm a little late to this... I applied to UNC Chapel Hill, ECU, Kean University, Memphis University and George Washington University. I was informed that I have been wait listed from GWU.. anyone hear from any of these/know when we will be hearing?? I'm dying!!

Anyone get invited/going to the open house at Northwestern?

I got invited, but I already visited the campus in October. I drove from Georgia and had a visit arranged. On one hand, it wasn't terribly helpful and this open house might be more so. But on the other hand I would have to get two shifts covered that day, and that's only if I just fly in and out that day! I hate to say it, but I don't think this open house is as selective as they're making it sound. You can find the RSVP page by Googling it. However, it's probably safe to say we've made some kind of "cut," but I don't know if it's down to 200 people, 100 people, 70 people...

Also, aren't they anticipating having decisions out by then? The status checker said "late February/early March". I seriously doubt this will make or break anyone's application - you might even already know if you're in or not before you go. Oh, well, if this isn't the case, I'm fine not going since I mentioned my previous visit in my essay.

I got invited, but I already visited the campus in October. I drove from Georgia and had a visit arranged. On one hand, it wasn't terribly helpful and this open house might be more so. But on the other hand I would have to get two shifts covered that day, and that's only if I just fly in and out that day! I hate to say it, but I don't think this open house is as selective as they're making it sound. You can find the RSVP page by Googling it. However, it's probably safe to say we've made some kind of "cut," but I don't know if it's down to 200 people, 100 people, 70 people...

Also, aren't they anticipating having decisions out by then? The status checker said "late February/early March". I seriously doubt this will make or break anyone's application - you might even already know if you're in or not before you go. Oh, well, if this isn't the case, I'm fine not going since I mentioned my previous visit in my essay.

where did you find the invite on google? I couldn't find it anywhere when I searched myself (other than reports of it here and in the results section).

I just checked my supplemental application for University of Maryland - College Park (I applied to the 2-year program) and it says a decision has been made and will be available online within 48-72 hours of 2/8/12.

ASJFKLJFKLDSJFL if you made the decision why can't I see it now?!?!?!

Damn my obsessive application status checking! This is worse than knowing nothing at all....

I just checked my supplemental application for University of Maryland - College Park (I applied to the 2-year program) and it says a decision has been made and will be available online within 48-72 hours of 2/8/12.

Damn my obsessive application status checking! This is worse than knowing nothing at all....

I agree, that's just mean! Crossing my fingers for you! (If it makes you feel better, mine still just says "application complete"...)

That is super frustrating!! Hope you hear good news from them soon!

Thanks! Me too. I'm waivering between "I'm totally in" to "I'm not getting in there or anywhere else for that matter" ever few minutes, it seems.

Did your email just say "Yay, we accept you" (in so many words...:P) or did it direct you to the supplemental page? I can't tell if no email yet means it's bad news, or just that I checked the site before they sent an email out. Or neither, and I'm just over-analyzing things that are completely out of my control. Probably that.

I agree, that's just mean! Crossing my fingers for you! (If it makes you feel better, mine still just says "application complete"...)

SO mean! Well, when I was just obsessing over what my page meant by looking through last year's posts in the results survey, it looks like they send admission and waitlist notices out in waves. So I don't really know if the timing means anything at all :/. I truly hate this part of the process...

I'm in the same boat as you...just checked my ASF after I saw this news and mine also says "complete. your application is either under review or will be reviewed soon". Frustrating but I'm hoping everyone hears good news!

Thanks! Me too. I'm waivering between "I'm totally in" to "I'm not getting in there or anywhere else for that matter" ever few minutes, it seems.

Did your email just say "Yay, we accept you" (in so many words... :P) or did it direct you to the supplemental page? I can't tell if no email yet means it's bad news, or just that I checked the site before they sent an email out. Or neither, and I'm just over-analyzing things that are completely out of my control. Probably that.

I got an email from HESP admissions that was titled "Admissions Decision." The inside had a link to a google document with my acceptance letter. They never put the letter up on the site, so it's definitely neither a good or bad sign that the letter isn't up for you, either. I hope you get an email with good news ASAP!

48-72 hours?! I honestly don't know if I'd be able to function given the timeline. lol. good luck!!