SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

also--to anyone who got accepted at Rush, did the packet go to your permanent or temporary address?

I'm on spring break so if it's at my temporary address I won't see it for a few days, boo. if it's permanent I'm guessing it'll get here today (I moved and had my address forwarded so everything is delayed).

thanks in advance!

I'm completely baffled by how schools decide to accept/reject/wait list people. How can I one week be accepted to a top school and the next wait listed by a virtually un-ranked safety. And on top of that, inconsistencies between being accepted/rejected from similar programs.

Just makes me wonder and doubt the well-ranked programs that accepted me. Anyone have any insight?

I'm completely baffled by how schools decide to accept/reject/wait list people. How can I one week be accepted to a top school and the next wait listed by a virtually un-ranked safety. And on top of that, inconsistencies between being accepted/rejected from similar programs.

Just makes me wonder and doubt the well-ranked programs that accepted me. Anyone have any insight?

I sometimes think the "virtually un-ranked safety schools" can end up becoming the most competitive schools because they get so may applicants! I think a lot more people apply to those schools because they think it is easy to get into them. Now that this field is so competitive nothing seems easy to get into :unsure:

"un-ranked safety schools" don't want to waste an acceptance on someone who they know is using them as a safety school (high stats and applying to similar but better ranked programs).

thanks for everyone posting about Northwestern--I probably wouldn't have checked without grad cafe. Another acceptance! Yay :)

Congratulations! When I woke up at 7:30 I refreshed the results page (so cringe worthy that this is how I start my days) and was so surprised to see that two people had posted they received responses today.

Regarding acceptances/rejections from similar programs, I would say don't overthink it. My mom keeps telling me "que sera sera. Whatever will be, will be!"

Isn't Pacific pending candidacy? That's great that they will have such an amazing faculty this early on!

Just a heads up about Portland State, two of the youngest, brightest and definitely favorite professors there just accepted positions at Pacifics new program. If you're considering either of these two schools and have an interest in neurogenic com disorders/TBI or craniofacial issues (the areas these professors specialize in), then I'd suggest taking a long look at Pacific, since PSU will be hard pressed to find suitable substitutes for these folks.

I know this is about the master's programs, but I was wondering if those who are well versed on program acceptances know if the PhD programs are as hard to get into......I have been accepted to a decent state school program to start work on my master's in the fall, and I will pursue a PhD after I complete that. My school does not have a PhD program. I have a 3.8 gpa, 167v 155q 5 writing. I have had 2 posters in ASHA, first-authored a paper in AJSLP, received about 10K in research grants from my school and a few other organizations. I have 2 years speech/hearing research and 2 years neuroscience/EEG research. I should have first author on at least one more paper before I apply. I thought I would be competitive for the PhD programs but so many people seem very qualified on here. I appreciate any advice, I want a research career.

It depends on what programs you apply to, but I'd say your chances of getting accepted into a PhD program are pretty good. Statistically speaking, getting accepted into an SLP PhD program is easier than getting accepted into a MA or MSc program for the simple reason that the number of PhD applicants is about 1/10 of MA and MSc applicants. Just so that you get an idea, according to ASHA, excellent SLP programs such as Northwestern's and UW's just got 31 and 10 PhD applications respectively vs. +400 to their MSc programs.

Just two suggestions:

- If you're going to pursue an academic career, I strongly suggest you attend a highly reputable program for your PhD. If you go the professional SLP route, the program you graduate from doesn't matter as much as long as the program is accredited by ASHA and you have your CCCs; however, if you go the academic SLP route, the first thing prospective employees will do is look at the university you got your PhD from. So keep that in mind when you are applying to PhD programs once you're done with your masters.

- I know you say that you want an academic career, but before you go that route make sure that's what you really want. I only say that because all my life I was 100% sure I wanted an academic career, until I went to grad school for my MSc and reality struck. Long hours, high stress, pressure to constantly publish, lack of job security (until you get tenure), lack of sleep, lack of a well-balanced family life (or a family life at all)... Of course this depends on your field of choosing, some being better than others, but in general I'd say you get less you bargained for with an academic career since, as my supervisor used to say, "you only get a break when you plan for it" meaning you're working 16 hours a day the rest of the time. Obviously this is a personal choice, but if I were you I'd closely observe professors working in your field of interest and make sure that their pace of life is the kind you want.

Good luck!

Edited by Klsr2thedge

They haven't sent out funding yet, should go out by the end of the week or early next week (I only know because I got a personal email from a faculty member telling me I had some coming, I still don't know the amount or anything). I know they don't have a lot to give, based on conversations I had with the chair of admissions earlier in the application process :/ it's a bummer but it's such a good program, I think the debt might be worth it :)

I've been waitlisted at UW-Seattle MedSLP program. It's my first choice and practically my only choice since I only have one school left to hear from I've been rejected by everyone else. :unsure: Anyone have an opinion on whether the MedSLP program is worth $25,000 a year, not including the cost of living? Also, if I were accepted, the deposit is $1,000! I already have 30,000 in debt, so by the time I were to graduate with my masters, I'd probably be 100,000 in debt. As an SLP, would I be able to afford that much debt?

Anyone else get the email for Penny Welch this morning saying that Vanderbilt is hoping to have decisions by Friday? It also said that we should hear something by Friday, which makes it seem like they might be emailing out decisions this year instead of mailing them (since that's the only way decisions would be made and we would hear back on the same day...). What're everyone else's thoughts? Should we be expecting emails on Friday, or was it just poor wording?

And congrats to everyone who's gotten acceptances this week!!

I think the first step is to pay no attention to "ranking." It doesn't mean anything and it's not what you should base your judgements of the schools on. Unless you are going into research or something in a specific area it is a useless tool to determine if it is a good school or not.

I like the fact that they are inconsistencies, even though it does leave acceptance periods kind of a mystery. Schools have their own ideal candidate and that's a good thing, I think. My sister went through the law school app process and MOST of what those schools look at is GPA and LSAT. You are pretty much a number. So while predicting an acceptance based on stats might be easier at a school like that, I don't think it speaks much to how much the program sees you as an individual.

Wow! I didn't see that! That IS really late... Fortunately for me it doesn't really matter since I've already been accepted to my first choice and I'm pretty sure I'll end up accepting their offer :)

Wow, congrats! That's exciting! :)

I would contact Gabrielle in the department. When I got into the post bacc program I found out in March/April. The program starts in June so it makes no sense that they wouldn't tell you until then. But I also never got the original "you're in" email and didn't find out I was accepted until the second "we really need to know" email. Email or call Gabby to ask if decisions have been made and if not when you can expect them.

Did you attend UW for postbac? How did you like it?

Thanks for the advice! I'll be sure to email Gabrielle to see if I can get some clarification and hopefully know the decision sooner. :)

Just a heads up about Portland State, two of the youngest, brightest and definitely favorite professors there just accepted positions at Pacifics new program. If you're considering either of these two schools and have an interest in neurogenic com disorders/TBI or craniofacial issues (the areas these professors specialize in), then I'd suggest taking a long look at Pacific, since PSU will be hard pressed to find suitable substitutes for these folks.

Wow, didn't Pacific snag PDX State's clinic director, too? They sure know what they are doing...

Did you attend UW for postbac? How did you like it?

Thanks for the advice! I'll be sure to email Gabrielle to see if I can get some clarification and hopefully know the decision sooner. :)

The director of student services in the SLP department got back to me and said that they were "finalizing their decisions this week and that [they] anticipate [we] will hear quite soon." She also said that Gabrielle should be contacting me soon regarding the notification timeline. I'll let you guys know as soon as I hear something :)

I emailed NYU letting them know I am very interested in staying on the waitlist. I never heard back but I assume that they just get so many emails (it was to the general graduate admissions account) that it's not a big deal.

In other news, I contacted St. John's about taking pre-reqs there. Anyone know anything about the program? I am in a bit of a predicament as I really want to stay in NYC or thereabouts but have been accepted into a two year program in Ohio that wouldn't even require me to take pre-reqs. I was pre-med so I guess they figure I can just go right into grad school and manage?

Anyone have any advice?

Decided not to apply for George Washington last minute and they just emailed me sayin I could still apply by April 15th if I wanted to.... Find that kinda odd since there's so many people waitlisted and since most decision deadlines are April 15th :huh:

I've been waitlisted at UW-Seattle MedSLP program. It's my first choice and practically my only choice since I only have one school left to hear from I've been rejected by everyone else. :unsure: Anyone have an opinion on whether the MedSLP program is worth $25,000 a year, not including the cost of living? Also, if I were accepted, the deposit is $1,000! I already have 30,000 in debt, so by the time I were to graduate with my masters, I'd probably be 100,000 in debt. As an SLP, would I be able to afford that much debt?

It's really expensive, I'm battling with whether or not it's worth it myself and I think a large part of my decision will be determined by funding amounts. Honestly, I can't imagine taking on 100k of debt as an SLP. That's over the max any of us will probably ever make in a year at any point in our careers as an SLP. It's a personal choice though so you have to determine if it's worth it to you and if you're willing to sacrifice other things you might want down the road that you may not be able to afford due to loan bills.

Can anyone explain the Vanderbilt notices on the results page? We just got that email this morning (which just about gave me a heart attack...poorly chosen subject line!!!) so I don't quite understand how people already got rejections in the mail this afternoon...?

Can anyone explain the Vanderbilt notices on the results page? We just got that email this morning (which just about gave me a heart attack...poorly chosen subject line!!!) so I don't quite understand how people already got rejections in the mail this afternoon...?

I was just wondering the same thing. I'm curious if those who received the letters also received the e-mail message. Either way, I'm nervous!

I was just wondering the same thing. I'm curious if those who received the letters also received the e-mail message. Either way, I'm nervous!

I'm wondering if rejections have gone out but they're still making decisions on accepted vs. wait-listed and/or who gets funding packages...

That email made it sound like we'll find out through email on Friday, did it not? She made it seem like she's hoping they'll decide by Friday and then we'll know by Friday which is not possible if they're sending results in the mail...I'm over-thinking this.

Re: Vanderbilt: I received the email from Penny as well as a rejection letter in the mail. I do live about 20 mins from the school, though, so I'd probably be one of the first to hear. The letter said they had a 20% increase in applications this year; I'm guessing the rejections went out first as I'm assuming they used GPA/GRE cutoffs to whittle down the massive amount of applications.