SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

If you go to Germany, have a Beck's beer for me! :D Also, is that Liz Lemon in your photo?

If by Liz Lemon you mean a fictional character who just so happens to mimic my personality to a T, then yes. :P

Hey everyone!

Is there anyone that is leaning towards or has decided to go to UW- Madison?? I attended the open house and loved it, so it would be great to start talking with potential fellow classmates!

I'm deciding between Madison, Rush, and St. Xavier, and I'm currently leaning towards Madison. I wasn't able to attend the open house and I don't know anyone there, so I'd love to talk to someone about it. :) What did you love about Madison?

-Ashley

If by Liz Lemon you mean a fictional character who just so happens to mimic my personality to a T, then yes. :P

I was holding off until you confirmed it was her until I said this, but you are a STAAAAAAAAAR! Somebody bring you some HAAAAAAAAAAAAAM! But seriously, congratulations on both acceptances!

Is anybody here going to the Open House at USF on March 30th?

If you are can you please message me after you attend and let me know how it was?

I would go myself but I'm currently traveling in China. I would really appreciate anyone who could help me out and give me their opinion on USF. Thanks a lot! :)

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone! I'll talk to my program next week and gather their thoughts on it. But if I do go with the Fulbright, I'd be teaching in Germany.

Do the Fulbright program!

I had the chance to move to Europe after I graduated college and didn't do it...I still regret that decision. Grad school will still be here for you in year!

Anyone of you who has been been accepted to usf and looking for housing please contact me as Ia m trying to sublease my apartment so I can move after graduation!!

Shortly after I applied to grad school, I left the country to work abroad for a few months. There was some miscommunication and one of my recommenders forgot to submit her letter to 2 of my programs (USF and FIU). I had inconsistent internet access, so I didn't notice the error until a few weeks later. USF was one of my top choices, but I just assumed that it was too late and I had already received acceptances from other schools. Yesterday I got an email from USF's program stating that they are missing a LOR, and that they would like to consider my application if I can get the LOR to them within a few days.

I thought admission decisions had already gone out for USF. Is it normal for a school to send out emails like this? Should I even bother?

Hi Everyone! I'm trying to plan out my course-work for this summer (5 classes, ah!). Utah State offers three of the classes I need through the distance program, so I really only have room to take two more classes. Thus, my complicated question:

Does anyone know of a distance program that offers one class covering the material for Anatomy and Physiology of the Speech and Hearing Mechanism? Similarly, anyone know of a program that offers one class covering material for Introduction to Speech and Hearing Science?

I keep running into the same problem-- I'll find a class, through Utah State's Program for instance, that offers an Anatomy of Speech class, but my program director wants it to cover BOTH anatomy of speech and hearing. Do classes like that exist? I haven't been able to find any. Usually they are split into two classes, and it's just not feasible for me to take 6 or 7 classes this summer. It would be such a bummer to have to defer for a full year because of a couple of credits :( Thanks for the help!

Hi Everyone! I'm trying to plan out my course-work for this summer (5 classes, ah!). Utah State offers three of the classes I need through the distance program, so I really only have room to take two more classes. Thus, my complicated question:

Does anyone know of a distance program that offers one class covering the material for Anatomy and Physiology of the Speech and Hearing Mechanism? Similarly, anyone know of a program that offers one class covering material for Introduction to Speech and Hearing Science?

I keep running into the same problem-- I'll find a class, through Utah State's Program for instance, that offers an Anatomy of Speech class, but my program director wants it to cover BOTH anatomy of speech and hearing. Do classes like that exist? I haven't been able to find any. Usually they are split into two classes, and it's just not feasible for me to take 6 or 7 classes this summer. It would be such a bummer to have to defer for a full year because of a couple of credits :( Thanks for the help!

Now you have ME worried. I am assuming you are taking about Northeastern. I too am planning on going there. But I just looked at the course title for my anatomy class and it also does not mention anatomy of hearing. But I have a bachelors in Speech and HEARING Sciences from UW so I have taken anatomy of hearing (many times over), it is just not explicit in my course listings. I hope that they will understand that I have taken the necessary classes. If not I'll be pretty upset because I spent a lot of money and time on my second bachelors degree. Anyone have any insight into this?

For YOU I would recommend calling the schools you are thinking of doing your pre-recs at and asking if any of the classes teach anatomy of hearing. As I mentioned before it was covered in other classes that I took (audiology (both intro and a higher level class), hearing science, speech language hearing and the brain, aural rehab etc). Good luck and maybe I'll see you this fall!!

edited for spelling/grammer errors (I really need to stop posting things without my contacts in)

Edited by NorcalSLP

Have you tried La Salle??

Hi all! I'm completely new here but wish I had known about this place when I was completing my applications. It would have been nice to know I wasn't the only person fretting over the whole process! I'm currently in PA, but I applied to schools in a few different locations since I'd heard getting into grad school could be really competitive.

At this point, I've been accepted at 4 of my 5 schools, but since the last one is just a safety school for me I've already made my decision. I'll be attending the College of Saint Rose in Albany this fall! After visiting their clinic during my interview, I really felt at home there. The professors I met were very warm and seemed genuinely excited about both their program and their students. I also used to live in that area and have been dying to get back, so this is the perfect opportunity! I'm just wondering if anyone else here has been accepted at St. Rose and if they plan to attend? It would be nice to get to know some fellow students before moving up there.

I'm deciding between Madison, Rush, and St. Xavier, and I'm currently leaning towards Madison. I wasn't able to attend the open house and I don't know anyone there, so I'd love to talk to someone about it. :) What did you love about Madison?

-Ashley

Everyone there (faculty, students, etc) was very nice, approachable, and welcoming; you could tell that everyone got along really well and loved working there. They provide a very well-rounded academic and clinical background to prepare to you to work in any environment. The city/campus was absolutely gorgeous-- the program is based out of a building located right by the lake :) You are able to become involved in research without the pressure of having to do a thesis, which really appealed to me. I grew up in Florida, so moving to Wisconsin is something completely new and different, which excites me! I will finally be able to experience the seasons!

Shortly after I applied to grad school, I left the country to work abroad for a few months. There was some miscommunication and one of my recommenders forgot to submit her letter to 2 of my programs (USF and FIU). I had inconsistent internet access, so I didn't notice the error until a few weeks later. USF was one of my top choices, but I just assumed that it was too late and I had already received acceptances from other schools. Yesterday I got an email from USF's program stating that they are missing a LOR, and that they would like to consider my application if I can get the LOR to them within a few days.

I thought admission decisions had already gone out for USF. Is it normal for a school to send out emails like this? Should I even bother?

USF has sent out their acceptance letters, but they still have a wait list. Their wait list decisions will not be made until they hear back from those students who are attending the program. They did not rank their wait list, so essentially they are going to be repeating the entire admission process over again at that time. I would definitely still submit it if you are really interested in going there, because your chance of getting in from their wait list pool is as good as anyone else's! I hope this helps some!!

Check out the online classes through the University of Nebraska Kearney

Are you sure USU doesn't just call it something else? Mine was split into two classes, but neither had A&P in the course title (Speech Science and Hearing Science). I didn't have any issues with those being accepted at any of the schools I applied to, but I made sure to keep my syllabi for all of my SLHS courses just in case any school had questions about course content. Just something to look into maybe.

Last year my friend had the same problem where one of her rec letter writers never sent her letter to USF and they sent her the same email asking her to send it in ASAP and they would still consider her. Because she had already gotten accepted to her top programs when she got that email, though, she just emailed them back and withdrew her application. So to answer your question, yes I guess it is something they do every year, and like SLP826 said, you still have as good a chance as anyone on the waitlist of getting in. So if it is a school you are seriously considering, I'd have your rec letter writer submit her letter ASAP...but if it's not one of your top choices, I'd just politely email them back and let them know they don't need to consider your application anymore.

Edited by SLP007

I'm also planning on taking that class over the summer, and even though the name of the class doesn't mention hearing, it does cover it:

COMD 3100

Description: Fundamentals of Anatomy for Speech and Language-- Basic study of the structures and functions associated with the sub-processes of speech and hearing, including respiration, phonation, resonation, articulation, neurology, and hearing.

Do you think that would be enough?

Now you have ME worried. I am assuming you are taking about Northeastern. I too am planning on going there. But I just looked at the course title for my anatomy class and it also does not mention anatomy of hearing. But I have a bachelors in Speech and HEARING Sciences from UW so I have taken anatomy of hearing (many times over), it is just not explicit in my course listings. I hope that they will understand that I have taken the necessary classes. If not I'll be pretty upset because I spent a lot of money and time on my second bachelors degree. Anyone have any insight into this?

For YOU I would recommend calling the schools you are thinking of doing your pre-recs at and asking if any of the classes teach anatomy of hearing. As I mentioned before it was covered in other classes that I took (audiology (both intro and a higher level class), hearing science, speech language hearing and the brain, aural rehab etc). Good luck and maybe I'll see you this fall!!

edited for spelling/grammer errors (I really need to stop posting things without my contacts in)

I don't want to worry you! I'm sure you'll be fine. I was an English and Linguistics major, so I don't have the second bachelors like you. I am sure you'll be completely fine! Did your acceptance letter say you were "conditionally" accepted? That's what mine said because of the five classes. I emailed the program director with what I thought would be the five classes from USU that would satisfy all requirements, and she responded and said the Anatomy of Speech and Language class I'd be taking doesn't satisfy the Anatomy of Hearing Requirement. It seems a little to me like the five pre-req requirements might be a little more like seven pre-req requirements, but I'm still on the search for one class that satisfies both requirements!

Have you sent in your deposit yet? It's a big chunk of change. I'll have to do some major researching in the next couple days to see if I can start in the Fall. If I can't, I might accept a different offer :/

I'm also planning on taking that class over the summer, and even though the name of the class doesn't mention hearing, it does cover it:

COMD 3100

Description: Fundamentals of Anatomy for Speech and Language-- Basic study of the structures and functions associated with the sub-processes of speech and hearing, including respiration, phonation, resonation, articulation, neurology, and hearing.

Do you think that would be enough?

That's exactly what I thought! However, when I sent the syllabus, the program director said it didn't satisfy the anatomy of hearing requirement. Would it be out of place to send her that portion of the syllabus? My first instinct is that that's rude, but it does seem to cover anatomy of hearing, especially in addition to the audiology course I'd be taking! I just do not know.

Are you sure USU doesn't just call it something else? Mine was split into two classes, but neither had A&P in the course title (Speech Science and Hearing Science). I didn't have any issues with those being accepted at any of the schools I applied to, but I made sure to keep my syllabi for all of my SLHS courses just in case any school had questions about course content. Just something to look into maybe.

Oh you are exactly right :) I just don't have time to take the two classes in addition to the four others I'll be taking, so I'm looking for one course that covers both. Thanks for your help!

Right!?! I mean I have basically made my decision (got into one of my top choices, wait listed at #1) but it is still really annoying that I have yet to hear from four of my schools. I actually find it a little disrespectful on their part. I understand that virtually all programs received "record numbers of applicants" and that they want to make informed and thoughtful decisions but this is getting a little ridiculous, the least they could do is email everyone to tell them that decisions are still being made and to expect an email/letter/phone call by [ insert date here]. We have deadlines not only to apply but also to inform schools. It is only fair that THEY have them too.

I absolutely agree! I have heard NO WORD from a school I interviewed with a month ago. In fact, I've only heard from 2 out of the 5 schools I applied to. I think it's pretty rude to keep us waiting when we all have so much at stake. You're right, we have to adhere to deadline, they should have to, too!

That's exactly what I thought! However, when I sent the syllabus, the program director said it didn't satisfy the anatomy of hearing requirement. Would it be out of place to send her that portion of the syllabus? My first instinct is that that's rude, but it does seem to cover anatomy of hearing, especially in addition to the audiology course I'd be taking! I just do not know.

Gendodge, thank goodness I read your post because I just checked and I also need an "Anatomy of Speech and Hearing" class and the one at USU is called "Anatomy for Speech and Language." The idea of possibly throwing $800 down the toilet makes me really upset. I just emailed the adviser at IU to ask whether that class would fulfill their "Anatomy of Speech and Hearing" pre-requisite course. Let's see what they say...

I've just checked USU's syllabus and even though the book we'd be using seems to cover the hearing system, it is not mentioned in the learning outcomes of the class at all, so maybe it's not covered. Why don't you email Dr. Child and see what he says?

I think that sending them that description would be rude, especially since the syllabus doesn't mention anything about hearing at all and they already told you it wouldn't fulfill that pre-requisite. But if Dr. Child says that hearing is covered, then I'd send them that portion of the syllabus and tell them what he said.

I'd love to hear how other people are going through the process of making decisions. I feel like everyday I change my mind about where I want to go. What factors play a role in making your decision? Any advice on how to choose without regretting it? :) Thanks!

Eastern New Mexico decided to not even consider my application because they didn't like the titles of my pre-req courses. None of the other programs I applied to seemed to have any issues with them, so I'm not sure why eastern new mexico is being so picky. I took 30 credits, but some of my coursework fell under an SLPA program so they didn't want to count them at all. I even offered to send my syllabus's but they didn't want it and said I should take an additional 15 credits. So frustrating. Thank goodness I was accepted elsewhere! Beware of those pre-req course titles!