SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

UT Austin is my top choice as of now! How about you? I would be in the 3-year program since I do not have a SLP background.

Yes, it's my top choice, too. I didn't have an SLP background either, but 2 years ago I took the leveling courses at UT. Maybe we'll have some classes together. :)

It is for their ITP (Improving Treatment Practice) program...they included this link --> http://csd.utexas.ed...es-cld-children with program info. Not exactly my cup of tea but I figure I will try. The worst they can say is "no", right?

Off-topic, but...any other major college basketball fans here? I think that I'm going to decide on my future graduate school by seeing which team goes the furthest in the tournament....a totally scientific and reliable way to decide my academic fate. :P

I'm a college bball fan! I need to fill out my bracket today. :)

I'll be applying to the ITP program, too. I'm pretty sure if I can refresh my Spanish skills, I'll be trying for the Bilingual program at UT.

So, I can't remember if there are any other applicants to UVM, but it looks like another program has been hit by CSDCAS problems-- just got an email from them stating that their admissions timeline has been pushed back to between 3/21 and 3/28 (this being from an original date of 2/28!). I get why the idea of a centralized application service sounds nice, but it just so, so isn't in reality.

Ughh I know, right? The CSDCAS has been nothing but a pain. I had relying on a middle man, plus paying double fees? Not digging it.

UVM is my top school...I had been waiting anxiously for news after they told us 2/28 and was starting to get really discouraged when I wasn't hearing anything at all. Slightly relieved to hear that the date was just changed, but at the same time I'm going insane. I can't take much more of this waiting.

Thanks Maddie. I am an out-of-field applicant (animal science major) but I took my SLP prereqs at University of MD college park. I loved MOST of the faculty (all but one who will remain nameless, but who holds an important position in the grad program) and just thought that would be the best choice because I was already familiar with it.

However, I really enjoyed my visits to Towson, Loyola, and GWU. Although I wasn't that impressed with Towson's clinic, they are in the process of renovating a building which will house the speech and hearing clinic, the kinesiology, and the autism clinics. How cool is that! It should be ready by this fall!. I like the fact that almost 100% of Towson's professors/faculty still do clinical work. Although I am interested in some aspects of research, I am way more interested in the clinical aspect, so that's important to me.

Loyola has coursework schedule that is favorable to getting clinical placements. Also they have some neat programs for children with autism, like a dance/acting program. Also, Loyola is 15 mins from my house...which rocks. If price and distance from my house were not issues, GWU would probably be my first choice...

I really hope you get into Towson and Loyola, and any other school you are interested in!

just wondering, when do you have to let Towson know your decision? Congrats by the way -- I'm anxiously waiting.. ugh! I live in PA and I'm not quite sure how I'd handle going to any of the DC/Balt schools because I recently got married and we have a house and all that, so not sure if living there is an option, but commuting would really stink too... guess I just have to wait to figure out what my options are first!

It is for their ITP (Improving Treatment Practice) program...they included this link --> http://csd.utexas.edu/graduate/implementing-effective-treatment-practices-cld-children with program info. Not exactly my cup of tea but I figure I will try. The worst they can say is "no", right?

Off-topic, but...any other major college basketball fans here? I think that I'm going to decide on my future graduate school by seeing which team goes the furthest in the tournament....a totally scientific and reliable way to decide my academic fate. :P

I think that sounds like a great plan :) hahah I loooove college bball! My undergrad team is a number 5 sead and (I think) all my grad schools are in the tourny!! (Maybe not northwestern...)

Hi gatorgirl,

I am not sure if I am understanding your question right, but if you are asking if visiting the school can help getting into the school, it really depends! If you can e-mail the department chair and set-up a day to visit the school with her, there is a very slight chance that she may remember you come admissions time. (You have to remember that these people not only meet hundreds of prospective students, but they also have their own students).

I can tell you from my own experiences that it certainly does not hurt to visit the schools, it shows that you are interested and determined! I did it and the clinic chairperson remembered me at my interview and I am now admitted to the school!

Does anyone know if there is a general thread to just discuss SLP programs? I have a hard time navigating this site for some reason. I am a year off from applying but I was wondering if anyone knew anything about Nazareth College? Also, do you know if going to visit the school beforehand helps at all admissions wise? I really want to get in to their deaf specialty program even though I know it will be a long shot.

Edited by Daniela

It is for their ITP (Improving Treatment Practice) program...they included this link --> http://csd.utexas.ed...es-cld-children with program info. Not exactly my cup of tea but I figure I will try. The worst they can say is "no", right?

Ohh, yeah, I got that too. I thought you meant there was another option. I don't think I can do that one because I'll be taking prereqs my first year.

And I love your strategy for choosing. I had the same idea in mind. I think all of my schools are in the tourney. If not, then they get automatically eliminated. Haha

Yes, it's my top choice, too. I didn't have an SLP background either, but 2 years ago I took the leveling courses at UT. Maybe we'll have some classes together. :)

I hope so! I'm so excited. I'm just waiting to hear back from a couple more schools before I commit for real. But I think my heart is already set on UT.

Thanks, thats exactly what I was asking! I've emailed one professor personally to ask her about the deaf specialty at Nazareth but I want to do everything possible to show that I am interested so I am definitely going to save up for a trip out there.

For the person who asked about college basketball-I'm rooting for St. John's and my Gators (Even if they are in the same bracket)! Only applying to St. John's for grad. Though as someone who comes from a undergrad program with amazing athletics I have to say it really adds to your college experience if you love sports. Its going to be an adjustment if I get into a school up North where theres no football and Division II sports teams.

Hi gatorgirl,

I am not sure if I am understanding your question right, but if you are asking if visiting the school can help getting into the school, it really depends! If you can e-mail the department chair and set-up a day to visit the school with her, there is a very slight chance that she may remember you come admissions time. (You have to remember that these people not only meet hundreds of prospective students, but they also have their own students).

I can tell you from my own experiences that it certainly does not hurt to visit the schools, it shows that you are interested and determined! I did it and the clinic chairperson remembered me at my interview and I am now admitted to the school!

Yeah lol I'm in New York and I have to say, none of the schools around here (maybe other than St. John's?) are too good at sports... unless I am totally out of the loop???

Thanks, thats exactly what I was asking! I've emailed one professor personally to ask her about the deaf specialty at Nazareth but I want to do everything possible to show that I am interested so I am definitely going to save up for a trip out there.

For the person who asked about college basketball-I'm rooting for St. John's and my Gators (Even if they are in the same bracket)! Only applying to St. John's for grad. Though as someone who comes from a undergrad program with amazing athletics I have to say it really adds to your college experience if you love sports. Its going to be an adjustment if I get into a school up North where theres no football and Division II sports teams.

That's funny-- one of my favorite things about the school that I'm leaning toward is that there ISN'T an athletics program. :)

Haha, I am so impartial to this, I don't know anything about any college athletics. The only sports that I care about are the New York Yankees :D

That's funny-- one of my favorite things about the school that I'm leaning toward is that there ISN'T an athletics program. :)

Haha, I am so impartial to this, I don't know anything about any college athletics. The only sports that I care about are the New York Yankees :D

I was, too, before I started working at a big sports university. I don't like the politics of it.

Has anyone other than the lone poster in the results heard back from Arizona State? Anyone contacted them?

Is everyone on spring break this week in the states or are there still office folk working during spring break? I know at my home university, it is just the students who have time off, not the office workers!

Has anyone other than the lone poster in the results heard back from Arizona State? Anyone contacted them?

Is everyone on spring break this week in the states or are there still office folk working during spring break? I know at my home university, it is just the students who have time off, not the office workers!

I applied to Arizona State and I haven't heard a word.

I just called one of the schools that I applied to (to ask about my application status), I know that they are on spring break, but the office workers are indeed still there!

You guys should DEFINITELY call a school if you have not heard! It is not a big deal! Just call the admissions office and ask for the status of your application. :)

K630 -- I vote that you call Arizona State haha ;)

K630 -- I vote that you call Arizona State haha ;)

I've tried to call, no luck. I'll be stuck in meetings all afternoon, but if someone else wants to try, this is the number I got from the website: 480-965-2374

Hopefully you get a hold of someone!

I've tried to call, no luck. I'll be stuck in meetings all afternoon, but if someone else wants to try, this is the number I got from the website: 480-965-2374

I've tried e-mailing them with questions. Last week they told me they hoped to get letters out before friday 3/11. I haven't seen a thing in my mailbox though or heard of any activity other than that one posted result dry.gif

someone should call! lol

are you getting a busy signal?

I am at work right now and pretty busy, but I will call tomorrow if nobody gets a hold of them today.

Have you heard from Longwood yet?

Has anybody heard from :University MN Duluth, sdsu, university of WI river falls, longwood, university of northern colorado?

accepted: Radford

Waitlisted: University AR medical sciences

Rejected: Chico, Memphis, UW eau claire

Hi everyone,

Is anyone else here considering attending University of Washington? Have you been able to visit the school or heard anything about financial aid? I won't be able to visit the school by April 15th so I won't be able to make a good informed decision. I'd like to hear what other people think of the school and program. I also read that students need a car starting fall quarter of their first year. I really don't want to have to buy a car in addition to paying for moving expenses and tuition. I thought first-year placements were all at the in-house clinic anyways. Does anyone know if this is true?