SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

I know that this is the same situation for New York as well. They are completely un-interested in SLPAs. Many of my friends tried to do this.

stephpop, on 05 April 2011 - 09:48 AM, said:

Just curious, how does one become an SLPA?

I looked into this in MA. Apparently MA has some of the most stringent requirements for being certified as an SLPA. However, I talked to someone who is an SLPA here - she was a communications disorders undergrad and I had the impression she had trouble getting into grad school the first time she applied so she went the SLPA route and is reapplying later. Anyway, she said the job market here for SLPAs is very limited, with the tight economy most employers just want to spend money on the SLPs. Mass. law is pretty strict about how SLPAs have to be supervised and what they can and cannot do so you can't hire just an SLPA without an SLP to work closely with them. I could find almost no job listings in MA for SLPAs and I even saw some ads for SLPs that specifically said "Please no SLPAs".

I was disappointed. If you look at Occupational Therapy Assistants and Physical Therapy Assistants, those are official jobs that are certified by the national governing body, but ASHA seems to have very little interest in SLPAs. Maybe other states that don't have as strict regulations on what SLPAs can do have better job markets, but here it seems to be very little. I would have to take one more CSD class and do 25 observation hours to get certified (I don't have a CSD undergrad, but I have been taking the pre-reqs to apply to grad school), but I'm wondering if it's even worth it. I am probably not getting into grad school this cycle, so if I want some related experience I think I am going to have to try to get into some sort of ABA tech/aide position.

So after hours of debating, I have finally narrowed it down to MGH. Since I don't have my prereq's I am planning on relocating this summer. Is anyone in a similar boat? If so- is anyone looking for a roommate? Let me know :)

I know this isn't the best place to post for a roommate request- sorry! I am freaking out about relocating in less than 2 months-eek!

So after hours of debating, I have finally narrowed it down to MGH. Since I don't have my prereq's I am planning on relocating this summer. Is anyone in a similar boat? If so- is anyone looking for a roommate? Let me know :)

I know this isn't the best place to post for a roommate request- sorry! I am freaking out about relocating in less than 2 months-eek!

Congrats! I'll be moving out there in June and am also freaking out about the big relocation. I won't be doing the roommate thing, but in the past I've had good luck posting in the housing wanted section of Craigslist. My husband is actually moving out to Boston this Tuesday, and is going to be subletting a room until I get there, and he had lots of nice responses from his post as well.

Have you considered doing prereqs online or locally? You might be able to save a bit of money that way.

The only thing I'm personally worried about is not knowing where to live. I will be relocating to New York City from the west coast and I really would like to live on campus, but space is limited for graduate students and I can't access the housing application yet due to my status as an "applicant" and not "current student" yet. I'm really hoping everything works out. I've never really been to the city (except for my interview) so everything there is completely new to me.

The only thing I'm personally worried about is not knowing where to live. I will be relocating to New York City from the west coast and I really would like to live on campus, but space is limited for graduate students and I can't access the housing application yet due to my status as an "applicant" and not "current student" yet. I'm really hoping everything works out. I've never really been to the city (except for my interview) so everything there is completely new to me.

NYC is great. Don't worry, you'll be fine. The subway runs 24/7 here, so even if you can't live on campus something will work out.

I am also thinking about housing..I heard that they have some good resources for off campus housing but you do have to wait to be an official student to access them online

Thank you gretel and Kaitlin.

I am really hoping things will run smoothly. The move itself will be overwhelming and I want to spare myself the stress of searching for a place to live.

I called the housing office a couple times about my status change but I decided to just wait and see how things play out. For now I want to enjoy the "honeymoon" stage prior to starting Fall classes :)

Congrats! I'll be moving out there in June and am also freaking out about the big relocation. I won't be doing the roommate thing, but in the past I've had good luck posting in the housing wanted section of Craigslist. My husband is actually moving out to Boston this Tuesday, and is going to be subletting a room until I get there, and he had lots of nice responses from his post as well.

Have you considered doing prereqs online or locally? You might be able to save a bit of money that way.

I am also nervous about moving to Boston. I probably won't be relocating until August though. Congrats to both of you and I am excited to meet you both in a few months! MGH!!!!!!!

I am also nervous about moving to Boston. I probably won't be relocating until August though. Congrats to both of you and I am excited to meet you both in a few months! MGH!!!!!!!

Boston is a great city! Don't stress; there are a lot of housing options out here. Craigslist is generally a good way to go.

If you're going to MGH and will have a car, the northern suburbs of Boston are worth looking into (Malden/Everett--avoid Chelsea!): very short drive to campus, and cheaper housing. If you don't have a car, you can live on the subway orange line in Malden/Melrose, and it's 15 minutes to downtown Boston from there (or 10-12 minutes to North Station, where the free MGH shuttle picks up out front and can take you to campus). It doesn't hurt to check out housing in Charlestown near campus, but it's usually very expensive. There's really only 2 parts to Charlestown: the projects (AVOID) and the ritsy, historical part on the waterfront and near the MGH campus. But if you get roommates it might be doable!

Boston is a great city! Don't stress; there are a lot of housing options out here. Craigslist is generally a good way to go.

If you're going to MGH and will have a car, the northern suburbs of Boston are worth looking into (Malden/Everett--avoid Chelsea!): very short drive to campus, and cheaper housing. If you don't have a car, you can live on the subway orange line in Malden/Melrose, and it's 15 minutes to downtown Boston from there (or 10-12 minutes to North Station, where the free MGH shuttle picks up out front and can take you to campus). It doesn't hurt to check out housing in Charlestown near campus, but it's usually very expensive. There's really only 2 parts to Charlestown: the projects (AVOID) and the ritsy, historical part on the waterfront and near the MGH campus. But if you get roommates it might be doable!

Thank you so much for the advice! I will definitely look into it! Have you decided where you are going? I see you were accepted to a few Boston schools. Congrats!

Thank you so much for the advice! I will definitely look into it! Have you decided where you are going? I see you were accepted to a few Boston schools. Congrats!

Thanks! I really wanted to stay in Boston (especially for MGH), but couldn't justify the costs so I'm going to UMass in Amherst instead. MGH's average of ~80k or so for school vs. UMass' average of ~20k for school made my choice easy...at least from a financial standpoint. The living costs are cheaper at UMass too. I will definitely be headed back to the Boston area after grad school though.

Thanks! I really wanted to stay in Boston (especially for MGH), but couldn't justify the costs so I'm going to UMass in Amherst instead. MGH's average of ~80k or so for school vs. UMass' average of ~20k for school made my choice easy...at least from a financial standpoint. The living costs are cheaper at UMass too. I will definitely be headed back to the Boston area after grad school though.

I know it's gonna be tricky from a relationship standpoint, but you're going to love living there. I miss the Pioneer Valley so much. And coming from the city, you'll be impressed with how inexpensive it is.

You should get a place in Northampton, and make sure you're in walking distance from the Five College PVTA bus line (which will be free to you). You know to message me if you need any suggestions. :)

I know it's gonna be tricky from a relationship standpoint, but you're going to love living there. I miss the Pioneer Valley so much. And coming from the city, you'll be impressed with how inexpensive it is.

You should get a place in Northampton, and make sure you're in walking distance from the Five College PVTA bus line (which will be free to you). You know to message me if you need any suggestions. :)

I found a great place right next to campus last week, and it's $300 cheaper a month than the rent I pay here, so I'm very pleased. :) And, get this, it has central air--I have NEVER heard of a house in New England with central air! Northampton was a close second: I love their downtown. I've been so spoiled living on the T and walkable to restaurants/bars/etc the past 7 years, I wanted a place that allowed me the same spoils in Amherst. I'll have my car, but prefer not to use it.

We should get together for tea or something when you and your husband get into town! You know I'll be back at least 2 weekends a month to see my SO, so I'll still semi be around Boston. Are you guys moving out here this summer or Aug/Sept?

Hi everyone.. this is my first time posting so im hoping im soing this right and maybe can get an answer?? I applied to 10 schools in IL (thats where im from) and got accepted to 2 of the 10. Amazingly enoough one of the schools i applied to was number one on my list!!! So im extremely exited; however I haven't got any funding info (even though in the accpepatance email they said that id get it shortly). I don't want to accept admission until i get this info, but it's almost 15th and Im extra worried now. I've contacted financial aid, but no response (as usual). I want to email the director of the program (whom I orginally received the acceptance email from) but Im not sure what I should say.

I'm also a post-bacc and have a complicated situation: in the acceptance email it said that I might have to take an extra semester of course work to fufill all requirments, however I believe this is just a standard letter since I only have one more prereq course to finish. But I want to see what my options are. Do you think they'll talk to me and go through what they meant before I actually accept admission??

Does anyone have any ideas?? suggestions?? They would be greatly appreciated.. cuz i have no idea what to do at this point..

Thank you!

Hi everyone.. this is my first time posting so im hoping im soing this right and maybe can get an answer?? I applied to 10 schools in IL (thats where im from) and got accepted to 2 of the 10. Amazingly enoough one of the schools i applied to was number one on my list!!! So im extremely exited; however I haven't got any funding info (even though in the accpepatance email they said that id get it shortly). I don't want to accept admission until i get this info, but it's almost 15th and Im extra worried now. I've contacted financial aid, but no response (as usual). I want to email the director of the program (whom I orginally received the acceptance email from) but Im not sure what I should say.

I'm also a post-bacc and have a complicated situation: in the acceptance email it said that I might have to take an extra semester of course work to fufill all requirments, however I believe this is just a standard letter since I only have one more prereq course to finish. But I want to see what my options are. Do you think they'll talk to me and go through what they meant before I actually accept admission??

Does anyone have any ideas?? suggestions?? They would be greatly appreciated.. cuz i have no idea what to do at this point..

Thank you!

Unfortunately, the financial aid decisions are often made in the summer (if you mean need-based and not merit scholarship). It's pretty crappy that we have to accept before knowing if they're going to help us out at all, but that's the way it is. I'd suggest calling the financial aid office if you're not getting email response.

The letter you're referring to is just what they give everyone. Check over it to make double sure you have all their requirements, but if you're already taking your postbacc classes it doesn't apply to you. There are some people who are accepted who don't have their pre-reqs, and those people often take them during the summer or during a "leveling" semester/year. You can definitely contact them to check that you have everything they want before sending your deposit. Contact the person whose name is on that letter.

Relax, you're fine! Congrats on being accepted!

Did anyone apply to any California schools? If so, which ones have you heard back from?

I applied to San Diego State (rejected) and am waiting to hear back from San Jose State, Cal State East Bay, San Francisco State and the post bac program at CSU Long Beach. The waiting is driving me crazy since I have deadlines for other programs next Friday.

26 is young! I'm 31! Believe me, I wish I had been able to start down this road earlier, but I'm not going to let my age (and really, 31 is not old) get in my way. Neither should you!

I'm a bit older than both of you. I was just put on a waitlist at Loma Linda which is as good as a no, really. I already have a couple of graduate degrees under my belt and only discovered SLP too late in life. Keep at it. Just get through any program. Have you looked at Eastern New Mexico in Portales? I mean, you just need to get through any program, then you can work.

I applied to San Diego State (rejected) and am waiting to hear back from San Jose State, Cal State East Bay, San Francisco State and the post bac program at CSU Long Beach. The waiting is driving me crazy since I have deadlines for other programs next Friday.

I've noticed that state schools drag their feet when it comes to decisions. I am thinking that, as California state schools (with low budgets and all that) they are less organized and have less staff to sort through the paperwork. I am currently finishing up postbacc courses at a state school and also a first hand witness to how disorganized the system is. I could be totally wrong and if I am, please feel free to enlighten me.

I have yet to hear from CSU East Bay and frankly I've lost my patience so now I am no longer expecting an answer. The lady I have spoken to has been very polite and professional, but I'm done waiting. I've been waiting for the past year and I'm just over it.

When did you hear from SDSU?

I was offered a Dean's fellowship to Emerson ($10,000/yr) so I can afford it now! I'm mailing my deposit and papers to them tomorrow. :)

As for people asking about CSU East Bay, I was admitted last Tuesday. In the email, they said they want a decision by April 18th (I emailed my decline today). Since I haven't heard of anyone being waitlisted there, I'm assuming they're waiting to hear back from people who were offered admission before they send out another round of offers. I don't know -- I'm currently attending a CSU for undergrad and I've noticed our program's bass-ackwardness with grad school admissions is pretty staggering.

Good luck! I hope you hear from them soon!

I was offered a Dean's fellowship to Emerson ($10,000/yr) so I can afford it now! I'm mailing my deposit and papers to them tomorrow. :)

As for people asking about CSU East Bay, I was admitted last Tuesday. In the email, they said they want a decision by April 18th (I emailed my decline today). Since I haven't heard of anyone being waitlisted there, I'm assuming they're waiting to hear back from people who were offered admission before they send out another round of offers. I don't know -- I'm currently attending a CSU for undergrad and I've noticed our program's bass-ackwardness with grad school admissions is pretty staggering.

Good luck! I hope you hear from them soon!

Hi. I noticed you were accepted to the University of Connecticut. I was wondering if you don't mind what your stats were GRE and GPA? I am on the waitlist there and it is my top choice :) Congrats on your Dean's fellowship!