SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

I just declined two offers and felt weirdly sad/guilty. Weird or normal? One of the universities was especially nice to me, but their program just wasn't right and further away from my family than I liked.

Totally normal. This whole process has been an emotional roller coaster.

I just declined two offers and felt weirdly sad/guilty. Weird or normal? One of the universities was especially nice to me, but their program just wasn't right and further away from my family than I liked.

I've been having a hard time with it, too.

I haven't sent in all my declines yet because I feel guilty about it.

I've been having a hard time with it, too.

I haven't sent in all my declines yet because I feel guilty about it.

I think this just indicates that we will be compassionate SLPs. : )

It sort of feels like you're breaking up with someone, eh? "I just don't think this is working out. I want to see other people. Let's still be friends, though, okay?"

Does anyone have information about Radford University - the program, school, area, etc. that they are willing to share? I have been accepted but know only what I've read on the website and discussed with the director and current students via email. Any info would be much appreciated!

thanks!

Hey, I am going to BU too! I want to contact them about assistantships and I also wanted to ask them if all of my pre-reqs are done, because I do have a BA in comm disorders but their are 2 or 3 pre reqs of theirs that I'm not sure if mine would transfer as or if they would make me go back and retake those classes because the titles of courses are slightly different. Such as Intro to speech,language, and hearing sciences would my Intro to comm disorders transfer as that....I think I will have to call them to be sure.

Are you going this weekend to the open house? I'm going Saturday and I might go Friday too. Maybe someone there could answer some of our questions?

I'm not sure what to do about housing either, all the apartments around Boston seem so expensive compared to CT lol. I don't know if I should go off campus or try to find roommates etc.

I'm not going to the open house since I live on the west coast and can't afford to take off time from school/work right now. As far as prereqs, I'm also a CSD major and e-mailed Liz Gavett about that stuff and she was very helpful (made it sounds like if you have a BS coming in that your classes should transfer over no problem).

I am worried about it too! I got accepted at BU which costs 57,000 a year including living expenses which will total 114,000 for 2 years and an instate school which will cost 15,000 total for 2 years( I would commute from home). I also have 80,000 in debt from undergrad so it is a vary hard choice. Bu has a much better program and reputation and I think that will be beneficial when I enter the field. But having so much debt does scare me. I'm trying to decide if it is worth it to spend an extra 100,000 just to go there.

I am in the SAME exact situation. I got into Emerson and MGH, but also got into state school which would cost me the same around $15,000 for two years. I thought about it a lot and for me it just did not seem worth it. I didn't think I could justify spending $80,000 more than I needed to for my education when many people have told me that to many employers where you got your masters does not weigh heavily. I looked at the salaries for SLPS on ASHA's website and from what I found one of the biggest indicators of salary for all areas of the field was how many years of experience you had under your belt, not where you went to school. The state school, similar to MGH and Emerson, had 100% job placement (as many schools probably do since SLP is high in demand) as well.

Whatever you decide, I think if you work hard you will be able to pay off your debt but it will take time. For me it was extremely difficult to say no to MGH because I have wanted to go there for years and I am such a competitive person. However, I just needed to take a step back and realize that in the end I don't need my career to be the center of my life. I want to eventually settle down and have a family and be able to enjoy life, which will take longer to do if I am on a 30 year plan to pay back my loans.

It is all about finding the perfect fit for you, so if you feel BU will offer you opportunities that are important to you that it is worth paying the extra money, I say go for it. I know it is such a difficult decision!! Good luck :)

It sort of feels like you're breaking up with someone, eh? "I just don't think this is working out. I want to see other people. Let's still be friends, though, okay?"

Yeah, exactly! One wasn't as bad because it was just a form that I filled out and dropped in the mail, but I had to email the grad coordinator at another school directly to say I wasn't going to be there this fall. I have been putting it off like tayfray because I felt guilty (and secretly hoping that money might miraculously come from their schools) but I know there are probably a lot of people out there who are waitlisted and would really, really like to get in and actually go to those schools...so my guilt about taking up an extra spot won out, I guess. Still not easy!

I am in the SAME exact situation. I got into Emerson and MGH, but also got into state school which would cost me the same around $15,000 for two years. I thought about it a lot and for me it just did not seem worth it. I didn't think I could justify spending $80,000 more than I needed to for my education when many people have told me that to many employers where you got your masters does not weigh heavily. I looked at the salaries for SLPS on ASHA's website and from what I found one of the biggest indicators of salary for all areas of the field was how many years of experience you had under your belt, not where you went to school. The state school, similar to MGH and Emerson, had 100% job placement (as many schools probably do since SLP is high in demand) as well.

Whatever you decide, I think if you work hard you will be able to pay off your debt but it will take time. For me it was extremely difficult to say no to MGH because I have wanted to go there for years and I am such a competitive person. However, I just needed to take a step back and realize that in the end I don't need my career to be the center of my life. I want to eventually settle down and have a family and be able to enjoy life, which will take longer to do if I am on a 30 year plan to pay back my loans.

It is all about finding the perfect fit for you, so if you feel BU will offer you opportunities that are important to you that it is worth paying the extra money, I say go for it. I know it is such a difficult decision!! Good luck :)

Ditto ditto ditto! I went with the state school as well.

I still haven't sent in my decline to MGH yet though. Does anyone know if there's a way to e-mail them with a decline instead of mailing that paper form? Or would that be in bad form?

Just had an awkward phone call with Emerson admissions. They didn't provide any instructions on how to decline the offer so I decided to call in, but I guess that was the wrong move because I still need to e-mail the head of the apartment to explain my reasons for declining. A break-up indeed!

Just had an awkward phone call with Emerson admissions. They didn't provide any instructions on how to decline the offer so I decided to call in, but I guess that was the wrong move because I still need to e-mail the head of the apartment to explain my reasons for declining. A break-up indeed!

Wow, I've never heard of that before. They can't force you to explain. I mean, it's a courteous thing to do, but really all you should have to say is "I decided to attend another school."

Emerson, stop being that person in the break-up!

Edited by gretel

Congrats to everyone making final decisions/receiving acceptances!

It makes me glad to see other people do well, keeps me motivated to try again. Because today, I received another (and final) rejection, meaning I have to pick myself up, work on improving my overall application, and do this process again next fall. I am really bummed, but I also know a lot of ways I could do better. Retaking GRE, I'll have 7 more subject-specific classes (and hopefully good grades) under my belt, and I have begun looking for internships. Does anyone have any advice regarding good resources for GRE studying (I've already plowed through a few of the books) and/or finding an internship?

Congrats to everyone making final decisions/receiving acceptances!

It makes me glad to see other people do well, keeps me motivated to try again. Because today, I received another (and final) rejection, meaning I have to pick myself up, work on improving my overall application, and do this process again next fall. I am really bummed, but I also know a lot of ways I could do better. Retaking GRE, I'll have 7 more subject-specific classes (and hopefully good grades) under my belt, and I have begun looking for internships. Does anyone have any advice regarding good resources for GRE studying (I've already plowed through a few of the books) and/or finding an internship?

I'm really sorry how things turned out for you, but your positive attitude and persistence make it clear that you are more than cut out for graduate study and being an SLP!

I know that the GRE is changing in August, so I am not sure what to recommend. For me it was just working every day for a little bit for a few months. Make flash cards and review them whenever you have a few moments. Read the New Yorker and some books that will expand and/or reinforce your vocabulary (most of the classics are good for this; you will recognize a lot of the vocabulary from your GRE words). Practice writing essays.

I don't know anything about internships, but if you have time to volunteer with the population you are interested in working with, I thoroughly recommend doing so. Not only will you gain experience, but you also will make connections and will have a supervisor who may be willing to write a LOR for you.

Good luck. :)

So it seems like a lot of people are attending graduate programs out of state. What are the processes for obtaining different state licenses (For example, if I am to go to school in New York, how can I get a license to work in California)? Are there additional requirements that need to be completed depending on which state license you want?

Edited by gradstudent84

I'm really sorry how things turned out for you, but your positive attitude and persistence make it clear that you are more than cut out for graduate study and being an SLP!

I know that the GRE is changing in August, so I am not sure what to recommend. For me it was just working every day for a little bit for a few months. Make flash cards and review them whenever you have a few moments. Read the New Yorker and some books that will expand and/or reinforce your vocabulary (most of the classics are good for this; you will recognize a lot of the vocabulary from your GRE words). Practice writing essays.

I don't know anything about internships, but if you have time to volunteer with the population you are interested in working with, I thoroughly recommend doing so. Not only will you gain experience, but you also will make connections and will have a supervisor who may be willing to write a LOR for you.

Good luck. :)

Thank you, I certainly hope it pays off. I also plan on applying EVERYWHERE I can afford to this next year (I don't care if it means 25 places - I don't know that I could handle all rejections AGAIN and still pick myself up and try again) to statistically increase the likelihood that SOMEWHERE would take a chance on me. I was thinking about cold-calling/emailing places that have speech pathologists and asking if they would take someone willing to file/answer phones in exchange for some extra observation time. With this fall looking like it will be truly insane, I am thinking I also might just take the old GRE in July before it changes. I have some time now to work on the SOP (anyone willing to help edit?! :D ) and GRE study, and then it will be overwith by the time I can submit new applications. Plus, there is always that chance that with the new GRE (as with any new test) the schools won't know how to compare them quite as well as the old one. And my undergrad gpa being a 2.7 (my gpa in my postbac speech courses is 3.5) puts me as a fairly shaky candidate...and my 1160 5W wasn't quite enough to convince them. But as I said, if I try the GRE again, and hopefully improve my gpa even more, I will have a better chance this fall. I suspect organization will be key, though, so making a schedule is distracting/comforting me right now! :lol:

Wow, I've never heard of that before. They can't force you to explain. I mean, it's a courteous thing to do, but really all you should have to say is "I decided to attend another school."

Emerson, stop being that person in the break-up!

That is so weird and I would agree with the standard "I want to go elsewhere". Though one of my program's little RSVP flier has a little section under the "no" box that asks you to fill in where you did decide to attend instead AND if you were receiving financial aid for that school. What a bunch of nosy Nancys. :)

Haha! I am going through a nasty breakup with Pitt. I was waitlisted and find myself thinking as I walk past the school "Pshhh.... after EVERYTHING I've done for you!"

It's sad.

Anyone ever see the Sex and the City episode where Carrie is going through her first break-up with Big and rebounds with the New Yankee? "Break-up rule number one...destroy all pictures where he looks sexy and you look happy." I guess I have to destroy all my pictures alongside the School of Health and Rehab Sciences. BUMMER

Anyone ever see the Sex and the City episode where Carrie is going through her first break-up with Big and rebounds with the New Yankee? "Break-up rule number one...destroy all pictures where he looks sexy and you look happy." I guess I have to destroy all my pictures alongside the School of Health and Rehab Sciences. BUMMER

Hahaha, I love that you just made this reference! Not sure how a school/building can look sexy though...hmm :D

Haha! I am going through a nasty breakup with Pitt. I was waitlisted and find myself thinking as I walk past the school "Pshhh.... after EVERYTHING I've done for you!"

It's sad.

TOTAL BUMMER!

But you're totally rebounding with the New Yankee!

(Mets fans need not apply ;))

You're going to accept Emerson or MGH?

Emerson's just not for me. I was holding out just in case something came through, but now I really don't have an excuse not to go with MGH.

MGH really does seem great and I've heard nothing but positive things about it. Unfortunately, there is a significant cost difference between Emerson and MGH -- and Emerson is already at the high end of my budget. I had hoped MGH would help me with funding but it's not looking bright. Emerson seems to have more funding opportunities for its student body, be it merit aid or work study. And it's cheaper. I visited yesterday and was very pleased with it... and in reference to the adult emphasis part, I'm constantly flip-flopping on whether I want to work with adults or kids. I went into CSD to work with kids, became intrigued by acquired neuro, and now I'm finding myself interested in pediatrics again. They definitely have opportunities for work with adults there, as well as the strong pediatric component. The student who endured my barrage of questions is finishing up and is preparing to work in an SNR. So, in the end, I think it's well-rounded enough to prepare me for either setting - since I can't decide as an undergrad, I'm sure I'll have a better sense of direction when I get clinical experience.

I haven't accepted or declined any offers yet (I know, I'm awful) but I'm sending out my declines for UConn and NAU today. I'm still waiting on CSU East Bay, which is dragging its feet big time.

I'm glad you've decided though and I hope you enjoy MGH!

Edited by ingolstadt

Does anyone have information about Radford University - the program, school, area, etc. that they are willing to share? I have been accepted but know only what I've read on the website and discussed with the director and current students via email. Any info would be much appreciated!

thanks!

Hey Maddie-

Im also going to radford in the fall- i requested visitor guides on the city website so i can get to know the area. I know everyone i have talked to through email seems really nice but I don't actually know too much about the program other than what i have read on the website. If find out any info let me know!

Since there is so much talk about the cost of tuition, I thought I'd ask a question about the subject. In my particular situation I simply just want to get my master's in speech-language pathology and start a career as a speech pathologist in either a school or a hospital. Now if I can get the same degree at a less prestigious state school why would it be in my best interest to attend a private school? I'm hoping you all can help me understand. I'm already $35,000 in debt from undergrad and I just want to start a career. When does the prestige of the university you attend matter in this field and when does it not?

Since there is so much talk about the cost of tuition, I thought I'd ask a question about the subject. In my particular situation I simply just want to get my master's in speech-language pathology and start a career as a speech pathologist in either a school or a hospital. Now if I can get the same degree at a less prestigious state school why would it be in my best interest to attend a private school? I'm hoping you all can help me understand. I'm already $35,000 in debt from undergrad and I just want to start a career. When does the prestige of the university you attend matter in this field and when does it not?

I think it matters more if A. you eventually want to pursue a Ph.D and B. if you want to pursue a really competitive part of the field (the example that comes to my mind is the NICU) or if you have a very specific specialization in mind. The Ph.D student in the lab I work in keeps reminding me when I begin fretting, "You know, mscongeniality, you're still going to be an SLP at the end of your program no matter what." So my gut feeling is that if your main focus is solely landing a job and you're really not too picky about where you end up, it honestly doesn't matter. I get the impression that passing the Praxis and having your Cs is *generally* more important.

As I'm typing this, I'm trying to remind myself of all this before I go jumping into a sick amount of debt...:unsure:

edit: I hate it when my B points turn into the sunglass-wearing smileys. Happens every time :P

Edited by mscongeniality1