SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

Congrats to everyone who has heard from schools! I know that I shouldn't complain because I have at least heard back from one of my schools...but I'm still dying to hear from the rest!! I just want to be able to make my decision and know what direction my life is going in next year, ha.

Yes, congrats to everyone who heard and was accepted! I just got my first letter from Wisconsin Madison the mail saying I was rejected/waitlisted. I'm feeling very obsessive and anxious right now. :/ Better luck to everyone else.

Okay, I talked to Cindy Coy at Northwestern. The open house is invitation-only, and about 180 were invited (out of 400 applicants, so congratulations if you got an invitation!). She said it's more of a chance for us to get a look at the school, but it would be good if you wrote her an email saying why you can't go, if that's not practical for you for whatever reason. Also, I would suggest writing that you're still interested even if you can't go!

Yes, congrats to everyone who heard and was accepted! I just got my first letter from Wisconsin Madison the mail saying I was rejected/waitlisted. I'm feeling very obsessive and anxious right now. :/ Better luck to everyone else.

Remmy, I just noticed that you're applying to Governors State University and that you're also an out-of-field applicant.. did you take your prerequisites there? I was thinking of applying there, but they said they wanted applicants with undergraduate degrees in SLP, or to have taken the prereqs at GSU. And they had a boatload of prereqs, compared to other schools.

By the way, your stats look impressive.. Good luck!

Okay, I talked to Cindy Coy at Northwestern. The open house is invitation-only, and about 180 were invited (out of 400 applicants, so congratulations if you got an invitation!). She said it's more of a chance for us to get a look at the school, but it would be good if you wrote her an email saying why you can't go, if that's not practical for you for whatever reason. Also, I would suggest writing that you're still interested even if you can't go!

you are seriously awesome for sharing this info! thank you, thank you!

edit: also, does anyone know how many Northwestern admits? I'm curious how many of those 180 can expect acceptance.

Edited by Hopeful SLP

Remmy, I just noticed that you're applying to Governors State University and that you're also an out-of-field applicant.. did you take your prerequisites there? I was thinking of applying there, but they said they wanted applicants with undergraduate degrees in SLP, or to have taken the prereqs at GSU. And they had a boatload of prereqs, compared to other schools.

By the way, your stats look impressive.. Good luck!

Trina, I spoke to the head of the SLP department at Governors over the phone and detailed which pre-reqs I had taken. I will have about 25-30 hours of speech and hearing science credits when I graduate this spring. I do not have all of them, so I am curious (for all of my schools, actually) if what they told me is actually accurate. I spoke with every school that had a list of pre-reqs or stipulations and all of them on my list told me to definitely apply. I'm hoping that they are serious and do not just want my application fee. I'll let you know.

you are seriously awesome for sharing this info! thank you, thank you!

edit: also, does anyone know how many Northwestern admits? I'm curious how many of those 180 can expect acceptance.

Thanks for posting that info, redheadedasian! I was wondering how many people had gotten this invitation. I am going to the open house, and I hope the invitation was a good sign for my application. Nonetheless, I can't imagine that they would accept 180 people... I went to an information session at NU this summer, and their handout stated that they generally accept 45-50% of 200-225 applicants. It looks like they had a significant increase in their number of applicants--gulp!

Thanks for posting that info, redheadedasian! I was wondering how many people had gotten this invitation. I am going to the open house, and I hope the invitation was a good sign for my application. Nonetheless, I can't imagine that they would accept 180 people... I went to an information session at NU this summer, and their handout stated that they generally accept 45-50% of 200-225 applicants. It looks like they had a significant increase in their number of applicants--gulp!

From the data I've found on Northwestern, it looks like each incoming class is around 40-45 students, and they must accept a bit more than that assuming that some will choose to go elsewhere. If their applicant pool has doubled, our chances are probably cut in half - scary!

Edited by alicejcw

If their applicant pool has doubled, our chances are probably cut in half - scary!

So disheartening. :-(

We have to stay positive though! We've gotten the invite so that's something. I'm just terrified to see the stats of all those who were invited.

Serious thanks for posting that info re: the Northwestern open house! I sent Cindy Coy an email yesterday, and was hoping that just getting the letter in the first place meant I'd at least survived the first round of cuts. February = longest short month ever.

Agreed. And why does the year I'm applying have to be a leap year?? I can't wait for March!

Congratulations on your 2 acceptances! What is your top pick? If it was between U Maryland - College Park and Towson, which one would you pick?

Just got an email from Rush to submit a supplemental application. Anyone else get this?

Yeah, I did, although I had actually submitted it back in January because I thought the primary application and the supplemental were due at the same time. But this email says we can submit it without paying the fee, oops. It doesn't seem like it has that much more information than the primary application, does it?

I'm also a little confused because CSDCAS only changed my application this week to 'verified', not mailed, and they say they only send out applications once a week on Fridays, so I guess Rush must have accessed my application from them before it was actually sent.

Yeah, I did, although I had actually submitted it back in January because I thought the primary application and the supplemental were due at the same time. But this email says we can submit it without paying the fee, oops. It doesn't seem like it has that much more information than the primary application, does it?

I'm also a little confused because CSDCAS only changed my application this week to 'verified', not mailed, and they say they only send out applications once a week on Fridays, so I guess Rush must have accessed my application from them before it was actually sent.

this whole process is bizarre. I would guess CSDCAS sent your app without updating the system.

Rush sent out some rejections today so I am curious how many were asked to complete the supplemental application.

this whole process is bizarre. I would guess CSDCAS sent your app without updating the system.

Rush sent out some rejections today so I am curious how many were asked to complete the supplemental application.

Yeah, or the CSDCAS FAQ says that once your application has been e-submitted on your end, schools have access to it, but some choose not to look at it until it has been sent to them. Regardless, it will have been four weeks and two days past the submission and the schools' deadlines that my application will be mailed. When they say a month for processing they are not kidding

Anyone else applying to Chapman?

Totally wasn't aware that prospective students already had a Chapman Gmail... turns out they've been trying to contact me for an interview from a week ago for an interview yesterday! :( And they miswrote my original email address so I pretty much got nothing. Kinda freaking out because now they think I want to withdraw my application.

And also... boo to very unfriendly and unhappy admin assistants. Making an already stressful process more stressful!

Got the Rush email too! I wish I knew how many did. Rush is my top choice...

Someone on the results survey stated that the supplemental application email went out to a little more than 1/5th of the applicants. Anyone have more information? Rush is my top choice too.. I'm so nervous right now!

Someone on the results survey stated that the supplemental application email went out to a little more than 1/5th of the applicants. Anyone have more information? Rush is my top choice too.. I'm so nervous right now!

all I know is they typically admit 50-60 for a 22-24 person class. We need to know how many students applied for the 20% to be meaningful. I think I may try to call at the end of the day--unless someone already has an answer?