SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

I went and I loved it! They seem very laid back and they want you to do well in the program for sure! Definitely a medically based program,very medically based actually,but that's why I loved it!

That's why I applied! I would like to do a medically based program and loved the way it looked. I have never been to Valhalla and don't really know much about the area, but I am open to ANY place as long as I get in a school. I wonder if they received as many applicants as some of the other schools this year..that could be why they are taking so long to get back to us. If I hear anything I will let you know!

That's why I applied! I would like to do a medically based program and loved the way it looked. I have never been to Valhalla and don't really know much about the area, but I am open to ANY place as long as I get in a school. I wonder if they received as many applicants as some of the other schools this year..that could be why they are taking so long to get back to us. If I hear anything I will let you know!

I'm not too familiar with the area either, it's currently about an hour and a half from where I live. They did speak about traveling to sites specifically NY Methodist in Brooklyn for rounds in a hospital lol. I will definitely let you know if I hear anything! I understand how you feel,anywhere sounds great right about now!! lol

jbw...I see that you applied to Marquette. I haven't heard anything at allllll from them, have you?

Steven Long sent me an email and told me to apply to the BIES program because I speak Spanish and since then I haven't heard a WORD!!! I read somewhere that they let you know 6 weeks after your application is complete so that should be next week I think! What are you thinking??

Also spoke to current grad students in the program and they love it even though it's pretty intense,but they say faculty is very helpful and want you to succeed, small class size makes things more personal as well!

Also spoke to current grad students in the program and they love it even though it's pretty intense,but they say faculty is very helpful and want you to succeed, small class size makes things more personal as well!

Oh man that sounds great! I really hope I get in, I think it would be a great fit for me. I'm glad the grad students like the program. I feel like I have read so many posts from grad students at other schools bashing their programs. Is it your top choice?

Oh man that sounds great! I really hope I get in, I think it would be a great fit for me. I'm glad the grad students like the program. I feel like I have read so many posts from grad students at other schools bashing their programs. Is it your top choice?

It's in my top 2 lol, the other is UW...

Ahh UW would be amazing! I was too scared to apply there haha! Good Luck!!!

I loved UW, I went out in January to visit and met with a professor and current grad student, it was pretty awesome! I def wouldn't mind moving cross country for 2 years lol.

I loved UW, I went out in January to visit and met with a professor and current grad student, it was pretty awesome! I def wouldn't mind moving cross country for 2 years lol.

I really enjoyed my UW visit too, everyone was so nice! What faculty member did you meet with? I didn't get to meet with a current grad student at mine though, that's awesome you did. I did at Vanderbilt though and it was really informative!

I really enjoyed my UW visit too, everyone was so nice! What faculty member did you meet with? I didn't get to meet with a current grad student at mine though, that's awesome you did. I did at Vanderbilt though and it was really informative!

I met with Professor Leonardo, how about you?

I met with Professor Leonardo, how about you?

I met with Julie Dunlap, one of the clinical supervisors. She was so incredibly helpful, I was really shocked by how much she seemed to genuinely care about talking with me, since I'm sure they get really sick of giving those tours. I've been in contact with Dr. Spencer a bit too after my visit, she's also very nice (which was nice to see since she's the admissions chair! Hopefully some of that niceness gets applied on our admissions decisions :P). I was really impressed overall. I'd have to say Vanderbilt's facilities blew UW's away by far and I was VERY impressed by their program as well, but something about UW felt really comfortable like I just "fit" well. I'd be thrilled if I got in!

I met with Julie Dunlap, one of the clinical supervisors. She was so incredibly helpful, I was really shocked by how much she seemed to genuinely care about talking with me, since I'm sure they get really sick of giving those tours. I've been in contact with Dr. Spencer a bit too after my visit, she's also very nice (which was nice to see since she's the admissions chair! Hopefully some of that niceness gets applied on our admissions decisions :P). I was really impressed overall. I'd have to say Vanderbilt's facilities blew UW's away by far and I was VERY impressed by their program as well, but something about UW felt really comfortable like I just "fit" well. I'd be thrilled if I got in!

I know they did make you feel very comfortable! I felt my meeting went well and the professor answered all my questions and said I had some great questions! I felt very comfortable about the program as well, it felt laid back and less stressful then East coast to be honest lol. Fingers crossed :)

Steven Long sent me an email and told me to apply to the BIES program because I speak Spanish and since then I haven't heard a WORD!!! I read somewhere that they let you know 6 weeks after your application is complete so that should be next week I think! What are you thinking??

Ah nice, I hope that we do hear back that soon!!

Marquette was sort of a random application decision for me...I happened to be in Milwaukee for a few days over the summer and knew that they had a program, so although I had no real plans of applying there, I randomly decided to walk around the campus and check it out. I ended up finding the building that the speech clinic is in, and even though I hadn't talked to anyone about visiting, I decided so just go and see if they had anything like handouts about the program that they could give me. I ended up talking to the secretary in the office there for awhile, and she was SUPER nice. She answered lots of questions for me, gave me a tour of the clinic, and even introduced me to a few people on the faculty. I liked what I saw enough that I decided to apply!

Ah nice, I hope that we do hear back that soon!!

Marquette was sort of a random application decision for me...I happened to be in Milwaukee for a few days over the summer and knew that they had a program, so although I had no real plans of applying there, I randomly decided to walk around the campus and check it out. I ended up finding the building that the speech clinic is in, and even though I hadn't talked to anyone about visiting, I decided so just go and see if they had anything like handouts about the program that they could give me. I ended up talking to the secretary in the office there for awhile, and she was SUPER nice. She answered lots of questions for me, gave me a tour of the clinic, and even introduced me to a few people on the faculty. I liked what I saw enough that I decided to apply!

That's great!!! It was completely random for me too! I was trying to apply to different programs all over and it just popped up so I said why not?! I'm glad you liked it! I hadn't heard anything about the program so that is good news! How is the city and school layout ? I have never been!

What's your top choice?

Umm..I am not sure! I am scared to pick one because last year I was set on a school and didn't get in and was devastated! I hope I get into a medically based program but I think I would be happy at any of the schools I applied to!

Umm..I am not sure! I am scared to pick one because last year I was set on a school and didn't get in and was devastated! I hope I get into a medically based program but I think I would be happy at any of the schools I applied to!

Hey! I just wanted to let you know I emailed NYMC, they said I should hear back in 2-3 weeks.

That's great!!! It was completely random for me too! I was trying to apply to different programs all over and it just popped up so I said why not?! I'm glad you liked it! I hadn't heard anything about the program so that is good news! How is the city and school layout ? I have never been!

The school is fairly small, but really pretty. It is basically right in the downtown area.

The clinic area was nice...basically it is a section of a large building and there are individual therapy rooms, some bigger therapy rooms (she showed me a room that is set up kind of like a play room for little kids, and another one that is designed to work with ASD patients), faculty offices, a really nice resource room with therapy supplies, and a study room and computer room for students to use. I was really impressed with all that I saw there.

I'm not really sure what to think about Milwaukee...to be fair it was my first time there and I was only there for about 2 days, so there is obviously a lot that I didn't see. But the location is definitely one thing that would hold me back from chosing that school...mostly because I am from the south and if I go somewhere where I would have to adjust to really cold weather, I would rather sacrifice that for somewhere like Chicago (which I love...that is definitely my first choice city-wise).

I def. get that! I did my undergrad at UNCW an lived on Wrightsville Beach where the high today is supposed to be 75 haha. We never saw snow and all of my schools I am applying to but one are freezing!! I don't think it is a number one choice, but it's nice to know I won't hate the school if I end up there!

Also haven't heard anything from them other than that they will let us know in April, which is such a long wait!! I applies to Rush and St. Xavier. I thought St. Xavier would be easier to get into but I have seen that last year some people got into Rush and not St. X so I am not sure what to think! I would LOVE to be in Chicago though!

Yeah, I would really love Chicago too! I'm not totally sure yet what to think about St. Xavier, though...I guess I'll figure that out if I get in, haha. I thought about applying to Rush, but I don't really want to go the medical route (opposite of you, it seems). Well good luck to you with all of the schools! Maybe we will end up at the same school/city :)