SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

Well, I just got my first notification and it's a rejection :( I went into this expecting plenty of rejection letters, but it's still frustrating.

Memphis was actually kind of high on my list, so...

Boo.

I'm sorry to hear that, good luck with your future notifications.

Quick question...was it sent to your current or permanent address? Just trying to get an idea of where to expect mine! I'm on spring break, so I won't get to see mine for more than a week if they send it to my school apartment :/

Well, my undergrad institution, the University of Georgia, decided to accept me a second time! Pretty excited that I have options, but am a little more confused than when I applied. UGA's program has a MEd, MA, and MA to PhD. I applied for the third one because I could have a doctorate in 5 years, but since then I've done more research and realized what I really want is a clinical doctorate (SLPD or CScD). PhDs are more for people who have been practicing for years and decide to give it up and teach, right? Not a bogus idea for me, but not quite what I had imagined.

UGA is ranked several spots higher than NYU, and the class is smaller, and it would be MUCH cheaper and I wouldn't have to move. On the other hand, though, NYU has an MS, and I really want to branch out. I'm not crazy about committing possible double "academic incest" (getting a masters and a PhD at my undergrad school), and I'm kinda sick of Georgia :(

I'll see what happens after the NYU Open House, I guess. Can anyone shed any light on this PhD issue? Also, is an MS necessarily better than an MA for someone who wants to be a clinical/medical SLP?

I'm sorry to hear that, good luck with your future notifications.

Quick question...was it sent to your current or permanent address? Just trying to get an idea of where to expect mine! I'm on spring break, so I won't get to see mine for more than a week if they send it to my school apartment :/

My current/permanent address are the same. I've been out of school for a year.

Well, my undergrad institution, the University of Georgia, decided to accept me a second time! Pretty excited that I have options, but am a little more confused than when I applied. UGA's program has a MEd, MA, and MA to PhD. I applied for the third one because I could have a doctorate in 5 years, but since then I've done more research and realized what I really want is a clinical doctorate (SLPD or CScD). PhDs are more for people who have been practicing for years and decide to give it up and teach, right? Not a bogus idea for me, but not quite what I had imagined.

UGA is ranked several spots higher than NYU, and the class is smaller, and it would be MUCH cheaper and I wouldn't have to move. On the other hand, though, NYU has an MS, and I really want to branch out. I'm not crazy about committing possible double "academic incest" (getting a masters and a PhD at my undergrad school), and I'm kinda sick of Georgia :(

I'll see what happens after the NYU Open House, I guess. Can anyone shed any light on this PhD issue? Also, is an MS necessarily better than an MA for someone who wants to be a clinical/medical SLP?

Hey! I couldn't help but comment, I currently know a student in NYU's program and she was honest with me and said the program was large and a bit unorganized. I've also heard it doesn't really matter if you have an MA or MS, but I think it's more what you prefer. I would really rather an MS because I want to be more medically based. Hope this helps!

I got an additional letter for a graduate assistantship along with my acceptance. The assistantship covers 30 credit hours of tuition (basically the first year) along with a stipend. In return, I'd have to work about 12 hours a week for the department. I'm not exactly sure if it entails TAing or working in a lab, but I'm pretty excited about the opportunity either way. I never really expected any funding when I began this process.

Congrats on your assistantship offer, slp90! Could you please share your stats with us? Is IU your first choice?

Hey! I couldn't help but comment, I currently know a student in NYU's program and she was honest with me and said the program was large and a bit unorganized. I've also heard it doesn't really matter if you have an MA or MS, but I think it's more what you prefer. I would really rather an MS because I want to be more medically based. Hope this helps!

I live in NYC and applied to NYU (and am waitlisted). One of my friends went there for the Speech Masters program and really liked it. She did say that they are in this sort of transition where they are trying to go towards a more clinical program. More research and papers by the faculty and whatnot. She also said that they are disorganized, but in all honesty all large institutions are disorganized. I also have a good friend at Teacher's College Columbia (not in the Speech program) who said they are so disorganized it's laughable.

I think the school is what you make of it. If you come to visit NYC and you like it, NYU will be a good fit for you. The Village is one of my favorite areas of the city! Enjoy it when you are here!

Hey, redheadedaisian, I would by no means consider myself an ultimate authority on this subject but here's what I do know (b/c I've looked into it myself):

- After completing some MA-PhD programs you do not get your Cs (Certificate of Clinical Competence), which means you would not be able to practice clinically (bummer, right?). For most programs (not sure about yours) the reason why you can get the PhD so quickly is because you are not required to put in clinical hours.

- If you get your MA/MS with your Cs, you can get your PhD and still practice clinically. But it is considered a research/teaching PhD, so you'd be expected to divide your time.

- There is a massive shortage of research in the field. There is also a shortage of PhDs in the field. This means that many programs who offer the doctoral degree are pushing students to get the PhD without having practiced clinically (even if they have their Cs).

Even though I want to get into research/teaching eventually, I want to practice clinically first. I can't imagine trying to teach a group of students without having firsthand/practical knowledge of the subject. That being said, part of the reason some graduate class sizes are so small is because there is not a lot of available faculty (read: PhDs). Availability of clinical observation sites also contributes to this number, but the bottom line is that if more of us decided to get PhDs and teach, programs could accommodate more students. And finally, a shortage of research in the field means we're not advancing our craft! So ends my plug for going back to school (a third or fourth time).

Not sure about the MA/MS distinction, but I hope this other stuff helps. I've been talking to some faculty about it and wanted to share. :ph34r:

So-what's the final consensus on Wisconsin-Madison? Are they done sending letters? I haven't heard anything (not a peep) but I have cruised around on the My UW portal and tried to figure out if I get shut out of anything or if I can gain access to anything unusual. Seems like I can do everything (even pick classes) however, this may be for everyone that has this My UW. My app still says pending. This is driving me nuts.

My freaking mental health is going down the drain...Anyone else feel like this?

I'd like to send a Congrats out to all of you that have gotten accepted to a program though! It's so exciting that you guys are hearing! :)

- After completing some MA-PhD programs you do not get your Cs (Certificate of Clinical Competence), which means you would not be able to practice clinically (bummer, right?). For most programs (not sure about yours) the reason why you can get the PhD so quickly is because you are not required to put in clinical hours.

That's not necessarily true, it depends on the program, some do structure your clinical hours and CCCs into the combined program.

Anyway, there is absolutely no difference between an MA and MS (or even the M.Ed some programs give) in your ability to practice in a medical setting or get into research. I work as a full-time Research Associate in a well-known research facility with a population that would be treated in a medical environment, with SLPs who have ALL practiced in medical settings before they got into research and more of them have an MA than an MS. It really has more to do with what school the program is located in within the university and other administrative stuff like that than it does any difference in the content of the degree.

I have heard mixed opinions on people getting all of their degrees (BA-PhD) in one location. Some say it doesn't matter, some say it gives you too narrow a perspective. Honestly, there's such a shortage of PhDs in our field, as long as it's a reputable program it won't hurt your ability to get a job later.

Don't put too much stock into the US News & Report ranking list. Look at their completely flawed methodology if you want to see why I say that.

I looked into NYU and didn't apply there because I spoke with some former and current students who gave mixed (leaning toward mostly negative) reviews and I couldn't see myself spending that much money on a program that isn't well-organized. That said, your opinion may differ. I would suggest going to the open house and getting an idea of how you feel about it and while you're there, get contact info of current students. I've found lots are willing to be honest when they're speaking privately outside of the open house setting.

I'd also suggest you not make any decisions or worry too much (I know, easier said than done) until you hear back from all of your schools and know what all of your options are.

I'm also interested in going the doctoral route eventually, but like you I want to practice clinically first and think I might prefer a clinical doctorate than a traditional PhD. Because I'm not positive about any of this though, I decided to wait. Everyone I spoke to suggested getting experience before doing the PhD (including people that had gone straight through..). Is there an option to do only the MA now, even though your were accepted to the combined program?

Good luck!! I imagine I'll be posting questions like this too, as more decisions start to roll in and we have to start making the tough decisions. Just remember how fortunate you are to be able to choose where you go :)

It seems like they sent out their first wave of acceptances and are now sending out more based on the response they got from those initial applicants. They asked us to respond within a short period of time, but offered extensions if we wanted to wait to hear about funding. Based on last year's dates, I think they send out official waitlist and rejection letters closer to mid-late March. I'm going on a visit next weekend so I might have a clearer picture after that and can keep you posted if you'd like?

That would be great, thanks a lot! And enjoy your visit!

I can just do the MA at Georgia (they said lots of people change their mind), and I WOULD get my Cs (I made sure of that, everywhere I applied). The real issues I have with it are that it was my undergrad school, and that I'd be staying put for 2-5 years <_<

Knowing that I can get my Cs but a PhD also, what do you guys think?

I also applied to Chapman and haven't been invited to interview. I've kind of given up on them actually. I figured they would have interviewed me by now. Where did you hear that they are doing interviews through April?

I also heard they have been interviewing so I just figured I wasnt one of their choices. Where did you hear they were interviewing through April 15th? Does that mean we wont hear any decisions until after that date????

When I saw that people were already doing interviews and I hadn't even heard that they received my application I emailed them to make sure. When they emailed me back to let me know they had my application they also said "we will be conducting interviews between now and April 15th"... Whether that's true or not is debatable.

So-what's the final consensus on Wisconsin-Madison? Are they done sending letters? I haven't heard anything (not a peep) but I have cruised around on the My UW portal and tried to figure out if I get shut out of anything or if I can gain access to anything unusual. Seems like I can do everything (even pick classes) however, this may be for everyone that has this My UW. My app still says pending. This is driving me nuts.

I'd like to send a Congrats out to all of you that have gotten accepted to a program though! It's so exciting that you guys are hearing! :)

They finished sending letters at the end of last week...good luck!

I can just do the MA at Georgia (they said lots of people change their mind), and I WOULD get my Cs (I made sure of that, everywhere I applied). The real issues I have with it are that it was my undergrad school, and that I'd be staying put for 2-5 years <_<

Are you passionate about any of the research going on there? Enough so that you think you'd want to study it for the next half-decade of your life? I just personally feel like I'm going to be exposed to and explore so many areas of SLP during an MA/MS program that I don't want to pigeon-hole myself too early on in my career. Plus I know a lot of universities (my undergrad, for example) won't hire profs that aren't clinically experienced anyway.

I'd still suggest you wait to hear from all of your schools (or at least your top few choices) before you make a decision. Go with your gut and what you think will make you happiest. Grad school is going to be tough enough without adding frustrations with your location/organization of your program/etc.

They finished sending letters at the end of last week...good luck!

That's what I heard-and that's why I'm concerned that I still haven't heard anything. I wouldn't even be wondering if I was still in the running if my app didn't still say pending. I guess I'm new to this whole thing ;) I'm going to call tomorrow. Just need to know already. Thanks!

Thanks for the heads up! Hogwash indeed - I have a feeling the CSUs are going to do the same to me.

Do you happen to know who PDX State tends to accept? Mostly from their undergrad program? Mostly in-state? I'm an out of state-r and I've heard they only accept a handful (like, five) of us.

Does anyone know when were expected to hear back from university of oregon? And the question about who PSU accepts...I would like to know too. Portland is an ideal area to live in although I know very little about their program other than it's in the basement. I can't stand waiting until April to know where I am going to be next year. It's so stressful! Not to mention once we find out, finding housing and all that jazz....I am just glad I have this support system. I hope we all recieve good news soon! <3

I wish I had a better answer, but I haven't heard much about PSU's typical choices for admits in terms of post-bacc/out-of-state/etc. It does seem that many of the graduate students did undergrad/post-bacc work at PSU, but I've only met a handful of them, and now that the program admits 50 students, I would imagine there's room for more out-of-state folks.

Good luck to everyone waiting to hear from PSU!

I agree with the other posters who have suggested looking at what research is presently taking place at the university. Also, remember that it wouldn't be difficult to go back for a PhD after you get your Master's, but once you've gotten the doctorate, you're sort of obligated to give part of your time to teaching/research instead of focusing entirely on clinical work.

In the end, listen to yourself and forget about us! :-P You've gotta do what's best for you!

As another southerner who did undergrad 20 mins from my hometown (and now want to get out), I can sort of understand how you're feeling. Here's my opinion: I know it would be cheaper to stay in Georgia and I'm sure you'd get a good education, but if you don't want to be there and have the option to go somewhere else, then you should. Sure, the academics are important, but so is your personal life. I know it's a hard decision to make, but good luck and I hope it works out for the best!

As another southerner who did undergrad 20 mins from my hometown (and now want to get out), I can sort of understand how you're feeling. Here's my opinion: I know it would be cheaper to stay in Georgia and I'm sure you'd get a good education, but if you don't want to be there and have the option to go somewhere else, then you should. Sure, the academics are important, but so is your personal life. I know it's a hard decision to make, but good luck and I hope it works out for the best!

I think this is great advice! Good luck :)

Oh man, steeling myself for a big week! For the first time it's actually semi-reasonable for me to check my email and mailbox constantly - we might start hearing from Northwestern and Vanderbilt this week! I'm most afraid of being one of those unlucky souls left in limbo until May by Northwestern - if I don't hear this week, I plan to pretend I never applied in the first place. And once I make it to Friday it'll be spring break! I'm driving to Moab with 9 friends, so I'll be away from my mailbox and email for a whole 8 days. Hard to imagine, but I know it'll be good for me.

Anyone else have big spring break plans? I was originally going to visit Vanderbilt, but my boyfriend changed his mind about driving down with me, and who knows if I'll even get in! Might as well wait on that trip until I know for sure.

In other news, I found my first grey hair! A sign that I'm under too much stress? No, surely it means that at the tender age of 21, I'm old and wise enough to handle grad school... right?

Oh man, steeling myself for a big week! For the first time it's actually semi-reasonable for me to check my email and mailbox constantly - we might start hearing from Northwestern and Vanderbilt this week! I'm most afraid of being one of those unlucky souls left in limbo until May by Northwestern - if I don't hear this week, I plan to pretend I never applied in the first place. And once I make it to Friday it'll be spring break! I'm driving to Moab with 9 friends, so I'll be away from my mailbox and email for a whole 8 days. Hard to imagine, but I know it'll be good for me.

Anyone else have big spring break plans? I was originally going to visit Vanderbilt, but my boyfriend changed his mind about driving down with me, and who knows if I'll even get in! Might as well wait on that trip until I know for sure.

In other news, I found my first grey hair! A sign that I'm under too much stress? No, surely it means that at the tender age of 21, I'm old and wise enough to handle grad school... right?

I'm jealous of your spring break plans! I'm just going to stay home and try to get some of my observation hours (since I have time!). Not sure I could handle being away from my mail or email, so I give you major snaps for that. Funny enough, I haven't noticed more grey hair (and I'm 35) but I do have a nervous twitch in my eye. I have noticed my husband getting more grey hairs though...shhh don't tell him! ;)

Remmy, did you call or email Kim Elkins to ask whether your application was complete? I live in Washington state (3 hours away from Seattle) and I got my letter on Tuesday.

Was it sent to your permanent address or your current address? I should have put the same address in both spots... I know my application was complete, and I am crossing my fingers that the delay is just because I applied to STEPS.

Anyone else planning on going to the open house at Illinois this weekend?

I am planning on stopping by because I'll already be in Champaign for a different reason and I can probably find some free time. I can't decide what is the best part of the day to visit, though--any ideas? I'd like to talk to some current grad students, but there didn't seem to be an obvious time slot for that.

Anyone else planning on going to the open house at Illinois this weekend?

I unfortunately can't make it that day so I'm going there this week to tour and talk to an adviser.

I went home for the weekend and came back to a letter from Madison... sadly a no-go from them. Bummed because they were one of my top choices, but still thankful to be into another school. I'm sure you'll hear from them tomorrow or Tuesday, hopefully it's better news than I got!