RATE MY CHANCES COMPUTER SCIENCE

newmanhattan

My profile:

Master's GPA: 3.96 (currently in the last sem US univ.)

Publications: 10 published, 4 in process (all co-authored - 2 with first name) , co-chair 2 workshops.

GRE: 740 / 510

Undergrad GPA: 2.21 (International)

Excellent and very strong recommendation Letters

International Applicant

Applied for Fall 2011 (PhD CS) to:

CMU (SE)

Stanford

Berkeley

Washington University in St. Louis (WUSTL)

Georgia Tech.

USC

UC Irvine

UC Santa Barbara

Arizona State University (ASU)

Please rate my chances on a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 = reject, 10 = admit for sure.

My undergrad GPA is bad but won;t the high GPA in MS, combined with the research work, cover up for that?

Also, what do you think is the date for most of these universities that marks the time after which you stand a very high chance of reject, if you don't hear from them by then i.e.?

It's hard to say for certain what your chances are at a particular university. As you probably know, your research potential is the most important thing in applying for a PhD so the fact that you have 10 publications will help you - are the publications in top journals/conferences? Are your LoR from well known profs? If so, they would indeed be very strong. Your chance of admit would depend a fair bit on how well your proposed research fits with the department at those schools. Remember that CMU, Stanford, Berkeley and WUSTL accept around 5-10% of applicants, so even with a great background it's still very competitive at those schools. That said I think you have a pretty good to excellent chance at all those schools.

As for when you should hear back from them, check the survey results from last year for those programs. Most Comp Sci results don't come out until around mid February. Good luck!