Mini-Lessons

wtncffts

Well, I thought since there are people from many different fields here, I'd start this topic as a sort-of 'things you always wanted to know' or just were curious about. The idea is that someone would post a question that could be answered relatively quickly and concisely, and someone else would answer it as best they can, and then post a question themselves (or not, if they can't come up with one). They don't have to be particularly deep, and don't be afraid to ask 'stupid' questions. This is all in fun; perhaps we can all teach each other a little bit about our own disciplines.

So here's a question which comes out of many utterly fruitless discussions in my house:

What are the current leading theories about the shape of the universe, or colloquially, what happens if you continue to travel in a straight line?

I've had this discussion many, many times in my household and I always say that it's the 'come back to where you started' hypothesis, like travelling on the surface of the earth. So, is that accurate?

Perhaps, this wasn't the best question to start with, but to the respondent, please try to answer in plain English if possible... ;)

Edit: Actually, to solicit more responses, you can post any questions you may have, regardless of whether you answer a question, and hopefully someone'll come by and answer!

Edited by wtncffts

As a fellow political scientist wannabe, I am not qualified to answer the above. Thus, I'll contribute another question.

How do you cook southern barbecue?

As a midwesterner who's only visited the south, I have experienced the fine art of southern barbecue but am unable to recreate the mouthgasm it provides. I realize that each state does it differently (right?), but I'll take what I can get.

Edit: I realize this was intended to be academic. However, the study of good barbecue is academically rigorous.

Edited by Tufnel

As a fellow political scientist wannabe, I am not qualified to answer the above. Thus, I'll contribute another question.

How do you cook southern barbecue?

As a midwesterner who's only visited the south, I have experienced the fine art of southern barbecue but am unable to recreate the mouthgasm it provides. I realize that each state does it differently (right?), but I'll take what I can get.

Edit: I realize this was intended to be academic. However, the study of good barbecue is academically rigorous.

The big key is low, indirect, heat for a long time. By indirect heat, I mean, you don't want the flame to be directly under the meat. I have a smoker with a good firebox that's ducted to give the smoke to my main cooking chamber. For ribs, I keep the temp about 200 degrees for about 4 hours or so, but check it with a meat thermometer. one good way to tell is if the meat shrinks on the bones about 3/4" if it was cut flush with the bone before cooking. As for wood, soak it in water before you put it on the coals. Wet wood smolders and smokes, dry wood burns, so you don't get the smoke and flavor. Make sure you use a hardwood, hickory, cherry, mesquite, apple, alder. Don't use pine, you will make your food inedible if you do. As for rubs and sauce, I don't share that, it's proprietary information. If you're just getting started, Famous Dave's Rib Rub (most grocery stores around here carry it) is ok to start with, and really great on pork chops.

The big key is low, indirect, heat for a long time. By indirect heat, I mean, you don't want the flame to be directly under the meat. I have a smoker with a good firebox that's ducted to give the smoke to my main cooking chamber. For ribs, I keep the temp about 200 degrees for about 4 hours or so, but check it with a meat thermometer. one good way to tell is if the meat shrinks on the bones about 3/4" if it was cut flush with the bone before cooking. As for wood, soak it in water before you put it on the coals. Wet wood smolders and smokes, dry wood burns, so you don't get the smoke and flavor. Make sure you use a hardwood, hickory, cherry, mesquite, apple, alder. Don't use pine, you will make your food inedible if you do. As for rubs and sauce, I don't share that, it's proprietary information. If you're just getting started, Famous Dave's Rib Rub (most grocery stores around here carry it) is ok to start with, and really great on pork chops.

This is gold. Thanks, I'll give it a roll. I was doing so many things wrong...