grad admissions paper

julesevar

Hello, Jules here. I am in the beginning stages of narrowing focus on a paper for graduate admissions. I am interested in writing about a social movement's history or a paper on the history of voter behavior in some regard. If not something like that I would like to explore some aspect of the Frankfurt School. Any thoughts on how to narrow focus in a historical way. I do not have a bachelor's in history, but do have a few methodology books. Any suggestion would be appreciated.  Peace, Jules.

• 4 months later...

Hey Jules! Do some prelim research, and see what seems to click. You don't want to do research on something that you're not going to enjoy, and you don't want to do research on something that has been overdone. Spend some time looking at Secondary sources to see what is currently out there, and if there seems like a ton, move on to another idea. Or, try and find an argument that is not already out there on the topic. Then, poke around some archives and see if you have the primary sources to back up your argument. If not, move on. 

One of my MA professors showed us a list/graph system to help narrow it down, But you're past the stage where that would help. Good luck!